Guardians of the Galaxy (Post-release)

Wasn't it something like the room he was in was shielded and that if she didn't disable the shield, they'd never get in?

What is everyone's opinion of Stan Lee putting himself in every Marvel movie? I used to feel indifferent to it, it didn't bother me one way or another, but I find myself subconsciously waiting for his appearance at times, and when I finally see him I very nearly roll my eyes as I get sucked like a vacuum out of the movie.

His appearance in GotG wasn't all that bad. It didn't feel like they created a character specifically for him as it seems like they have in the past. If they had went with the deleted Collector's cameo I think my eyelids would have burnt off from the friction of my eyes rolling.

So what's the take? Self aggrandizing-immersion breaker, or harmless fun?

I go with harmless fun, myself. And, let's be honest -- he won't keep doing these cameos forever. I don't find it to be particularly immersion breaking in all the films, though. In some, sure. But in many of them, he's just a background character like in the Guardians appearance.

Doesn't bother me in the least. I usually look forward to spotting Stan as well as any other easter eggs. Also, I don't think he "puts himself" in all these films. He's pretty much just a spokesperson for Marvel at this point. If Disney\Marvel\the film makers didn't want him to make cameos in their films, he wouldn't be there.

Yep, doesn't bother me nor does it take me out of the movie. It's now a fun Marvel tradition that I find amusing and I always look forward to it.

He actually had decided not to cameo himself in this movie cause unlike the other movies with Marvel characters he didn't create Guardians of the Galaxy (neither team). But he had a change of heart after they brought the fact that he was the co-creator of Groot.

15156974961_40cca29278_o.png

Just got home the theater- what an amazing movie. I was laughing, almost crying, sitting on the edge of my seat. It was brilliant.

My mind is totally blown over the post credit cameo. Howard the Duck !! Could we be getting a real Howard the Duck movie? I love the original but I'd prefer something closer to the comics and not a plot that involved him coming to Earth.

The little movie that could. I've seen it three times... got better each time. I still think the pace is a bit fast, but I think that's just part of new movie culture.

Spoilers ahead.....do I even need a spoiler warning in this forum? Better safe than sorry

After I dropped my son off at Kindergarten I got an itch and went and saw GotG for the second time. Such a great movie. Like genuinely, a great movie. I remember being a little upset on the first viewing that Drax didn't really get much vengeance on Ronan despite a couple opportunities, but after the second viewing I thought it was a nice touch that Drax shot the gun that destroyed Ronan's hammer and freed the infinity stone. He may have gotten thrown around like a ragdoll by Ronan in hand to hand, but at least he pulled the trigger that ultimately led to his destruction.

See, I actually enjoyed that Drax didn't get to physically take his vengeance on Ronan. They touted it all during the movie with Drax proclaiming that he would kill Ronan, but when the actual fight came, instead of an epic one-on-one fight, the filmmakers channeled Joss Whedon and had Drax get his ass handed to him with contemptuous ease.

See, I actually enjoyed that Drax didn't get to physically take his vengeance on Ronan. They touted it all during the movie with Drax proclaiming that he would kill Ronan, but when the actual fight came, instead of an epic one-on-one fight, the filmmakers channeled Joss Whedon and had Drax get his ass handed to him with contemptuous ease.

Yeah I didn't think it would have made sense for Drax to stand toe to toe with him trading blow for blow, but I would have liked even a scene maybe where Drax connects with Ronan and Ronan kinda has to shake the stars out of his eyes before giving it back to Drax. At least show that Drax is more than just some big muscley guy (even if that is all he is, we have to believe he's more important than that since he's a Guardian). Maybe Ronan doesn't consider him a threat, then he takes a right cross to the jaw and stumbles back. The look on his face saying "ok maybe I should stop playing around."

Yeah I didn't think it would have made sense for Drax to stand toe to toe with him trading blow for blow, but I would have liked even a scene maybe where Drax connects with Ronan and Ronan kinda has to shake the stars out of his eyes before giving it back to Drax. At least show that Drax is more than just some big muscley guy (even if that is all he is, we have to believe he's more important than that since he's a Guardian). Maybe Ronan doesn't consider him a threat, then he takes a right cross to the jaw and stumbles back. The look on his face saying "ok maybe I should stop playing around."

There "sorta" was that moment when they were fighting on Knowhere. Drax is repeatedly pounding him in the chest and he gets in one good shot right before he just about snaps Drax's neck. That's one thing I think all these movies struggle with is getting power levels right...but it's a minor quip. Love the heck out of this movie, even with its flaws.

Apparently, Drax's power levels have fluctuated considerably in the comics. He's been alternatingly INSANELY powerful, and just pretty powerful. Also he's been able to shoot bolts of energy, but I guess they wanted him to be more of a bruiser in this. I thought it worked.

When I last followed the Drax in comics he was the flying fella with the purple cape who shot energy and fought Captain Marvel.
It was therefore a little harder for me at first to buy this version as a badass. I had to remind myself that this story and its characters are constructed on a more "human" scale. In that context it makes a lot more sense.

Both Gamora and Drax could grow into more powerful characters in the next film or two as well.
Making them uber powerful in an intro film could cause people to have difficulty identifying with them.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back