My Jayne Cobb "Boo" revolver

NerdMeat

Just because I have been pressganged into dressing up as Jayne for DragonCon...
Nerd Code demands that I produce proper props. Not enough time to build Vera, so I am going for Boo.
Started with a Lemat replica from Denix, (http://tinyurl.com/nkezkzp) and adding 3d printed parts to it. Took it apart and painted the chassis black and the grips brown. Not too pleased with the black paint, it seems to be rubbing off way too easily (Rust-o-leum satin black). Very pleased with the silver, same brand, it dries fast and has a good finish.
The top rail was easy enough, simple geometry, took me like 10 minutes to draft. The "tube" thing is a work in progress. First one was too fragile so I am making another more robust one. It does snap perfectly now onto the lower barrel, no need for glue, and it doesn't want to come off. I have to figure out the rounded "cap" part for the lower barrel.
The 3d parts were printed in ABS, then sanded and spraypainted.
The guard piece underneath proved too difficult to print into an unbreakable part, so I am going to try making it out of sculpey.
Will post a link to the STL files once I have it all figured out.

2014-07-29 16.50.11.jpg
2014-07-29 19.34.33.jpg
2014-07-29 19.44.36.jpg
2014-07-29 19.45.01.jpg
2014-07-29 20.50.38.jpg
2014-07-29 22.35.05.jpg
2014-07-30 00.47.47.jpg

Last edited:
What are you using as your reference?

Google Image Search, pretty much. Since I have the chassis it's based on, I can figure out the measurements (for the most part) from the photos, and a good digital caliper does the rest. This model, though, doesn't have the extra loop on the trigger guard or a removable lower barrel-- I can't get it perfect perfect but it will be close.

Google Image Search, pretty much. Since I have the chassis it's based on, I can figure out the measurements (for the most part) from the photos, and a good digital caliper does the rest. This model, though, doesn't have the extra loop on the trigger guard or a removable lower barrel-- I can't get it perfect perfect but it will be close.

http://www.therpf.com/f45/firefly-jayne-cobbs-pistol-boo-123040/index2.html
https://www.flickr.com/photos/30401586@N03/sets/72157643700742913/

You're welcome.

2014-07-30 16.29.46.jpgGluing cap on tube thing.
2014-07-30 18.40.45.jpgSome silver paint touch-up on bottom barrel.
2014-07-30 20.27.17.jpgAnd she's done! Bottom guard piece added. Screw is decorative (makes a big difference in making a part look like it belongs). Guard piece made of sculpey.
2014-07-30 20.27.32.jpg

I played around with adding the extra appendage to the trigger guard, but decided to skip it. 1- sculpey acts like paint remover, 2- once the plastic tube on the lower barrel is snapped on, only way of removing it is fatal and I don't feel like printing and sanding and painting a third one, so baking the chassis is out of the question. The top rail is also already glued on. Lesson learned for future Boo?
Maybe I'll have to use an epoxy putty instead, at a later time. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Bluing looks awful on this particular Denix gun. It looks ok on the Mauser, but not the Lemat for some reason. Check my Jayne thread for pictures. I was unable to get the aluminum black stuff to work at all either. As for the trigger guard, just buy the real thing from VTI gun parts. It's not very expensive and looks fantastic once it's been reshaped a bit to fit the gun.

Just because I have been pressganged into dressing up as Jayne for DragonCon...
Nerd Code demands that I produce proper props. Not enough time to build Vera, so I am going for Boo.
Started with a Lemat replica from Denix, (http://tinyurl.com/nkezkzp) and adding 3d printed parts to it. Took it apart and painted the chassis black and the grips brown. Not too pleased with the black paint, it seems to be rubbing off way too easily (Rust-o-leum satin black). Very pleased with the silver, same brand, it dries fast and has a good finish.
The top rail was easy enough, simple geometry, took me like 10 minutes to draft. The "tube" thing is a work in progress. First one was too fragile so I am making another more robust one. It does snap perfectly now onto the lower barrel, no need for glue, and it doesn't want to come off. I have to figure out the rounded "cap" part for the lower barrel.
The 3d parts were printed in ABS, then sanded and spraypainted.
The guard piece underneath proved too difficult to print into an unbreakable part, so I am going to try making it out of sculpey.
Will post a link to the STL files once I have it all figured out.

I know it's been a little while since you posted this, but I wanted to say thank you for doing that.
I made use of the cylinder piece and the rail, I modelled an endcap where I didn't have to take a chunk out of the plastic, and had a more accurate screw head, and managed to model and print the curved piece that fits right onto the greeble below the shotgun barrel, here's how it turned out.

Jaynes%20Boo%20Parts%20-%20Render_zps6tvylmgj.jpg

IMG_0127_zps8vzo9x7b.jpg

IMG_0129_zps0tim6a1e.jpg

IMG_0130_zpsjnatncga.jpg

IMG_0132_zpsuf2m52eg.jpg

IMG_0134_zps5hityhfg.jpg

IMG_0143_zpsu2of26no.jpg

Thanks again :)

I know it's been a little while since you posted this, but I wanted to say thank you for doing that.
I made use of the cylinder piece and the rail, I modelled an endcap where I didn't have to take a chunk out of the plastic, and had a more accurate screw head, and managed to model and print the curved piece that fits right onto the greeble below the shotgun barrel, here's how it turned out.

Thanks again :)

Looks awesome! Any chance you could share the next generation of Boo STL files?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back