Insulator foam or EVA foam for large weapon?

pccosplay

Hello,

I apologize if this isn't the right place/right thing to do here, but I have a question about crafting and then I may turn this into an overall progress thread. I've asked on a few other sites and have gotten some good answers, though people have ultimately turned me to this site for some good advice.

I am cosplaying/costuming the character Sango from Inuyasha and she has a large boomerang weapon.
Reference pictures: Here and here.
Up until now, I've tried to avoid prop making as it's slightly terrifying to me. I've stuck mostly with fabric and some minor clay projects - so I'm very inexperienced.

I've talked to a few people about how to make it, and it ends up being split between EVA foam and insulator foam being the best way to go. I think I'm pretty clear on how people would go about making the weapon with insulator foam, but I'm still a bit unclear on EVA foam. My understanding is it's craft foam, but obtained in larger rolls.

What route would you all take? I'm trying to find the best way to make it light weight for easy carrying and preferably cost efficient. I'm willing to put in more elbow grease if the supplies are ultimately less expensive.

I was also wondering about transportation of said object, and was thinking about finding some way to have the tips come off so I can then assemble the prop and hide the seams underneath the grips. What would you use for a way of attaching the tips?

Thank you so much for your help and time.

Looks like a big project. I have never dealt with ether of the foams. but I would think insulation foam would be the best. and this will give your thread a little nudge to the top for some help I hope. i would look Into how they build surf boards.

What Sean said, make it like a surf board. I'd also skin it in fiberglass so it won't be so delicate, otherwise it will get pockmarked with holes. I haven't done this myself but I've seen it done. Start with the blue or pink insulation foam. Cut it to the rough shape and sand it to the final shape. Some folks use an electric carving knife or even a chainsaw to cut it, but a box cutter knife will do if you're willing to put in the effort. And time.

For that kind of stuff a lot of people use EVA foam. They make armor and stuff from it. I mean I would do more research and such but I think EVA foam would work best especially if you want to dismantle it. Check out univfoam.com thats where I get my foam :)

I would hotwire it out of insulation in sections, using guide 'spars' at the end of each section to keep everything symmetrical and proportioned. Works great, but is also a lot of work, and you need a lot of ventilation (and fire protection lol).

EVA would work well, but you'd have to either get a template or freehand it.

This should save you some time, had nothing to do on my lunch today so my boredom is your gain. I rough-proportioned the model to the images, and unfolded it in Pepakura with a default scale of a little over 50 inches long. It can of course be scaled up or down.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/eq2o17d9o0q2qds/sango_boomerang_unfold.pdo

It shouldn't be too terribly difficult to build. You can get EVA foam rolls online, Sears Beststep mats work well too.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back