EVA Foam TMNT Shell...1st Attempt, is it good enough?

Hi all. Been a member for while, but it's been a year and a half since attempting anything major since my MKVII build.

I've always loved the Turtles and after placing an order for an awesome looking Donatello mask from RPF member Sync (check out his run thread) that is in process to be completed soon, I went from adding a nice mask to my collection to making a full costume for Halloween on 6th Street in Austin, TX. It's wall to wall people partying in full costume and a blast.

I searched and looked at methods from various Turtlr threads including one from RPF member Dericrw which I took most inspiration. I don't have the skill sets or space to do sculpted cast foam or latex molds, maybe someday. So I'm stuck with what I have some experience with in EVA foam.

First I drew a flat shell pattern knowing that it would be exact as I tried to add shape or curvature. I couldn't find any Pep files for a shell although I'm sure they are out there. I just winged it with my best guess at measurements. Using an image from Dericrw as reference.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1406591817.480414.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1406591734.380261.jpg

I plan to layer thin foam to create the texture vs. carving lines like I've seen in other builds.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1406591934.627592.jpg

I then glued the main outer shell pieces and formed them with a heat gun to give it a 3D rounded shape. Had to trim the perimeter by a little more than an inch as it seemed too big. I thought the curvature would shrink it more than it did. I didn't want to waste the foam and start over. On a budget you know ;)

I also attached the first piece of an under shell and ribcage that will use buckles to hold the shell in place.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1406592241.239761.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1406592326.555587.jpg

I then created the outer trim pieces of the shell, planning to line the inside of the shell to add stability and to provide a clean look. I had to create "tabs" on the outer facing side to cover the textured side from the inside pieces and to add thickness. I heat shaped it knowing when I glued the inside pieces it would pull and flatten some of the outer shell's curvature.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1406592564.451170.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1406592587.347930.jpg

The shell itself is still a tad larger than I'd like and not as curved in both directions as I'd like.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1406592679.622868.jpg

I still have to add the textured foam pieces which will add depth and I'm tiring to figure out how to pull in the sides to give at least more curve around the north south axis.

It's not perfect but I've spent hours on this and I'm trying to decide if it's good enough or should I start over :(

Thoughts, ideas on how to make it better?

Let me know what you guys and gals think. I love this forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Agreed with the above. I wouldn't monkey too much with your curvature at this point, I think you'd be risking damaging what you've already got.

Agreed with the above. I wouldn't monkey too much with your curvature at this point, I think you'd be risking damaging what you've already got.

Yeah, I made some curved foam ribs. Will attempt to glue them in between the rib cage to try and hold the curve. If that won't work, I'll leave it. I'll create some depth with the textured layers.

I think it looks good, I too would be happy with it. If you want more curve try making some temporary trusses to glue to the inside to hold its shape and then heat it up. You wouldn't by any chance happen to of made templates for your pieces would you? Im interested in doing this myself.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back