Halloween RPF contest and HALO Elite costume

Hi,
I hope I am in the right forum. Usually I am scouring these boards in mid October since I always get a late start on my kid's costume. My first was masterchief, then he was Rex the Clone Commander, and now he wants to be a Halo Elite. Ive always cut corners using store bought helmets which I modified. However there is not that much in ways of tutorials or information for Elite aliens from Halo...in this respect Master Chief and Rex were more simple.

Ive got some ideas already...for the legs...stilts in a school for a 4th grader is out....so I will do the digitgrade legs via illusion and foam. I thought a Ultra Elite would be the easiest since I would "just" need a helmet. I have become fairly adept at eva foam, hot glue, and last halloween I dabbled in the epsilon epoxy coating.

Any comments would be helpful...for the contest I think I just need to document my progress weekly? Or what do I need to do to do it properly...since this will be the first totally-from-scratch costume ( now easy store bought helmet) for me.

On the more important stuff, the actual costume... eva foam seems too stiff for the legs....has anyone done digitgrade legs in eva foam...or is fabric better?
Also, are there any pep file for the actual armor portions of an elite (again, for odst or masterchief all this stuff is out there and VERY helpful. )?

Thanks again for any hellpful comments. :)

The contest won't start until the end of September but you will need:

- A minimum of two in progress photos
- One final photo
- A proof photo of you (or in this case your son) in costume holding a sign that says "RPF Halloween Costume Contest 2014"
- A summery of what you did. A work in progress is even better as it shows us all your hard work!

There will be a few other requirements but so far as your build goes that's about it! :)

An update....mixed results, but when time is short I have to tell myself it won't be perfect. I'm not happy with a lot of stuff, but having something for halloween will be better than nothing! :) I've seen some MUCH better Pep helmets out there...
For reference:

elitefigure.jpg

I decided to go with foam.
My Halo elite helmet (haven't started the rest yet) progress so far....Sept. 12

1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The 14th....

2.jpg

The 18th....

3.jpg

I am stressing a bit so I hope I get this done. I will be using Epsilon to cover many bad foam joints...and then I will be doing a lot of sanding.

What do people do to strengthen a foam helmet? I will use Epsilon for the outside...what about on the inside?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Slowly coming together. I still need to ask the school whether a (gasp) weapon is allowed. I am getting to the stage of re-doing the front of the helmet since I wasn't happy with the profile.The profile at the front should be a line, not a "visor" effect. I'm not sure what happened, but no forcing the foam into place with interior supports will do. Everyone says, no kids will notice, but I notice! So I have been building up the courage to mess with it for a week, and since time is forcing me to act....I'm doing that now. I've got the gauntlets made, and the legs....just lots of plasti-dip and painting now. Oh yeah and the huge amount of Epsilon when I get the head shape correct.

progress elite.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back