Blueing a MGC C96?

OdiWan72

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am currently reworking two MGC C96's for upcoming blaster projects and ran into problems when trying to reblue them...

so far I used birchwoods perma-blue paste (for steel) but only got slight brownish results, which are too light as well even after several applications.
also had some alu-black at hand which gave me much better/ darker results at first, but the finish is not durable and wears off during the first washes already :(

With the MGCs being neither made from aluminum, nor steel but an alloy...what do you guys use to give these a nice and dark new finish?

Thanks in advance, Markus

I've done multiple multiple multiple multiple super blue passes. Apply buff...repeat over and over and over and over. Works great after a lot of work.

I may may try the al black that way too

I just ordered some super blue, which gives a much deeper/ black finish...will give it a try

too impatient to do stuff multiple multiple multiple multiple times :lol
thanks anyway Scott

Markus

Last edited:
Yeah the mgc metal is just different. So weird. Comes out for steel but takes more work.

i wonder how they were originally finished. It must have been a fast easy process.

Was it possibly heated up to a high temperature to change color? Seems fast dosent require alota work just spitting out ideas.

I have two MGCs myself, though only one has been stripped as of yet. I haven't tried bluing it yet, though I imagine that the process is somewhat similar to the bluing of a Denix, as both are made of cheap Zamak, though I think that the MGC has a little better quality metal in it. In maxspr1's Luke ESB conversion build here: http://www.therpf.com/f79/mr-luke-e...instructions-185769/?highlight=luke+esb+dl-44

He reblued his Zamak Master Replicas body with a product called Blue Wonder Gun Blue, which he found online, and the finish of the zinc parts seemed to be a very even consistent metallic dark grey tone, which he said was similar to a real Mauser's tone. Whether or not this would work on an MGC I don't know, but if anybody else out there has any experience with this particular bluing product, then that would be extremely helpful.

I used super blue on both of mine, and had different results with each one.

One came out brownish, the other blue. Definitely repeated the process over and over and over. Spent more time on the one that came out looking good and blue.

Don't let the chemicals sit on the metal for more than 60 seconds at a time before neutralizing with water.

Make sure everything is cleaned and degreased THOROUGHLY. (Before beginning the bluing process)

Last edited:
Sadly, Cold blueing is pretty much never permanent, and will fade/brown over time even if it's a part that gets rarely handled. Especially when it comes to the Birchwood stuff. (which is really only meant to temporally hide imperfections when selling/trading firearms)

That said, the best cold blue that I have used (and I've tried quite a few) is called Blue Wonder. It requires you to heat the metal with a torch in order to get the chemical process to work, but it does a very good job and last much much longer than any other product I've used. Sadly, it seems to be one of those products you can really only buy online from their website, as I've never been able to find in any of my gun shop visits, and very rarely at gun shows.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back