Matt Mercury Freighter

That's the cheap foam you get from Home Depot. I never used it before and wanted to get my proportions down.
It's hard to make it clean. I tried to add bondo but it melts the foam.

I heard about Basswood and I know the early Thunderbird models were made from wood so I thought I'd try that.
It's my first ship so I had no experience with either medium.

I might try foam for my next ship. I got some samples of the higher grade foam and it's pretty nice.

The filming is not heat intensive. They did all the big ships with dollies on a huge green screen stage. Mine was filmed on a small green screen area.
The bulbs weren't that hot. I'm going to set one up at my house so I can make little clips of my stuff. It's very fun!

Here's a PVC rocket I made that also got used.

Thanks for the update - why did you switch from foam to wood?
Heat while filming?

COOL,

Heres the trick with the cheap foam. you can use it but it takes a little extra work. theres two ways to do it. the easiest way is carve the shape you want and cover with Epoxy resin. give you a nice shell then add Bondo. or if you don't have epoxy you can use regular fiberglass resin but the trick is to coat the foam in wood glue first two to three coats let dry then add the fiberglass resin. and move onto bondo. it works great. just a little bit more work. but worth it some times when you see how expensive the other foams are.

And he wrote our script that's in production now. "Martians Attack SNG." ;)

Steve

- - - Updated - - -

Oh...and designed our studio logo! :)

- - - Updated - - -

And I forgot to say... What a great build(s)!

Steve

BTW you can use that foam just fine. Use sanding sponges to smooth it like glass and then use epoxy and 2 oz cloth to cover it. You might do to layers of it. Then sand it and use Evercoat metal glaze on the surface to get a good finish. Lastly use Bondo Red Spot putty to get all the fine stuff, sand that and primer the hell out of it. I have done this numerous times to many many scratch builds and tools.

Steve

I'm scrolling along, and feeling quite impressed with your models while thinking, "Cool". Then suddenly I hit that image of your model on the landing pad and coffee shoots out of my nose! That's just beautiful! Seriously dude, I'm very much looking forward to seeing this film when it's complete.

Now I have to figure out where the coffee came from since I don't drink the stuff ...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back