Studio Scale 1989 Batmobile

BTTFSpencer

Sr Member
I have had this model for a while, and I thought I'd start posting up some progress. If you're anything like me you have a thing for seeing things smothered in bondo and being sanded, this thread will fulfil said desires.

Right, a little back story. When I was a kid, I loved the movie and so I had--- wait. Scratch that. I acquired this casting back in December of this year and have been gradually tinkering with it, it's definitely come a long way. Lot's of dremeling, bondo-ing, sanding, primering and general hell. I can't wait to get the thing sprayed in black and flip flop lacquers... for now, here's the beginning of the journey.

P1020255.jpg

Bat1.png

P1020258.jpg

bat4.png

bat5.png

bat8.png

bat9.png

bat10.png

P1020282.jpg

P1020284.jpg

bat7.png

P1020340.jpg

Attachments

• P1020283.jpg
    P1020283.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 631
  • P1020339.jpg
    P1020339.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 957
Wow, you've done wonders with that casting. I don't think I could have got it looking as good. That's why it sat in my basement so long.

Keep us posted on your progress. It looks fantastic.

Thanks! It's been a rough model to clean up, it's still got a long way to go but I'm enjoying working on it. It's a great casting in some respects because it doesn't have a lot of the warpage that many others have.

I'm sorry that this thread has been abandoned for almost 3 years. I have made progress since then and I will be working my way towards finishing it completely in approximately 6 months (max).

I, among other people believe that this particular shell was taken from the original mold... potentially it is a reject casting made for one of the films. I'd like to think so.

My build will require a custom made chassis, wheels and tires, turbine, afterburner, and rear lights. As well as a few other pieces I'm hoping to have 3D printed.

Expect updates in a couple of weeks.

Wish me luck. :)

Thanks, it's coming along. Half way finished I would say. I just haven't posted any pics because I'm lazy and I don't know if anyone else feels this way but I find posting regular updates on here hinders my progress.

I'll never have the option to sit in the Batmobile here in Australia, on the Gold Coast. I'd truly love to but they simply don't allow it. Looking through the little slitty windows of my miniature is about as close as I can get. I'm a perfectionist, at the moment I'm working on the inner fins and the rears, sharpening them as much as possible. I'll then be adding some kind of agent to strengthen the resin base to the "bog" a.k.a. 2 part type bondo putty I've used to sculpt back the rear of the fins that were missing from my model.

Beyond that I'm hoping to get a chassis for this, wheels, a casting of the turbine. From there I'll be scratch building the rolls royce afterburner with the plates over it for the rear, the headlights and the side mechanics. I've already got some fantastic looking 3D printed gun doors on their way from shapeways.

I'm back on this. Currently I'm doing a once over, sharpening the edges and making certain that the gun flaps are symmetrical. We're going to be doing some really special upgrades on this in the near future, I know it looks like a heap, I haven't exactly photographed it from flattering angles or cleaned the dust off. Hopefully it will soon have a turbine intake installed thanks to a great collaborator on this project.

Updates to come in the new year.

Come on dude get on with it

I really want to. I've had the shell for years and obsessed over getting the body just right, it's basically there but I don't have any parts except for the awesome intake that you made for me, I really need the rest of that assembly, like the fan blades. I can add rivets and do my special paint job on it from there.

I need all of the parts though in all honesty. I don't have the skill or resources as you have. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back