Tron: Legacy Black Guard helmet build

ill be honest here man ... its been over a year since UD showed us the Cobra helmet and im getting tired of waiting so yeah ... thanks man :)

This is a gorgeous helmet. If you are going to end up selling raw casts like you are with Quorra i'd also love to know, keep up the great work man.

Canobi, now I am very curious to try the talc out. =)

Thanks, Fyat!

Jaganar and Fyat: I'm hoping to have this prototype completely finished this weekend, and then start the Limited Run thread next week.

I pulled the 1st cast last night and overall I am happy. Finishing this is not going to be the slam dunk that I was hoping for, but I know now it's totally achievable - which, ultimately, is all that matters. I'll try to take some detailed pics tonight and post them up.

OK, here are some pics of the 1st cast. Closeups are where it needs some help. I think the pin holes might go away with Canobi's suggestion, but for the time being, I am going to have to paint over them...labor intensive, and always troublesome to paint over a cast if there's any residual mold release.

The pics of the whole helmet are after I trimmed out holes for lights and gave the interior a coat of flat black (except for visor area).

Oh - I found an interesting effect with the respirator lights. Because the cast is tinted clear, the EL light dimly shines through the outer ring of the disk. This effect goes away if I paint the disk. What do you guys think? Like it or not?

Attachments

• BG-57.jpg
    BG-57.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 174
  • BG-58.jpg
    BG-58.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 157
  • BG-59.jpg
    BG-59.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Black Guard - Painted cast 3.jpg
    Black Guard - Painted cast 3.jpg
    972.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Black Guard - Painted cast 1.jpg
    Black Guard - Painted cast 1.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Black Guard - Painted cast 2.jpg
    Black Guard - Painted cast 2.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Black Guard - Painted cast 4.jpg
    Black Guard - Painted cast 4.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 152
  • BG-60.jpg
    BG-60.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 167
  • Black Guard - Light test 1.jpg
    Black Guard - Light test 1.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 164
I think its a neat effect that might be worth keeping just to give it some more visual appeal with that subtle shift in lighting on the sides.

That is if im looking at the picture right. You're referring to the glow around the top part of the disc not where the el wire trails out correct?

Yes, you are correct. And the effect shifts depending on where you look at it. It kinda disappears as you look at the helmet head-on.

OK...It is finished!!! Well, if you don't count the breather tube... =)

Pics in bright light and low light for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• Black Guard - 01.jpg
    Black Guard - 01.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Black Guard - 02.jpg
    Black Guard - 02.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 165
  • Black Guard - 04.jpg
    Black Guard - 04.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 159
  • Black Guard - 05.jpg
    Black Guard - 05.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 170
  • Black Guard - 06.jpg
    Black Guard - 06.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Black Guard - 07.jpg
    Black Guard - 07.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Black Guard - 03.jpg
    Black Guard - 03.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 165
Thanks guys! Hard to believe it's done. The one thing that bugs me is the lighting on the chin disks. I'm trying to do it with the EL wire, but I should be using LEDs.

I plan to do another update sometime this week wth the breather tube added.

That's one spectacular helmet Crimson, probably my favorite from the film. Top notch skills ya got there bro and no doubt :thumbsup

Thanks guys!

Here's the idea for the breather tube. Just a piece of washer fluid hose inside a bazillion cast pieces. I would need to also make the end of the tube - a piece that looks like it attaches to the back/neck area.

Attachments

• BG-61.jpg
    BG-61.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 160
  • BG-62.jpg
    BG-62.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 125
  • BG-63.jpg
    BG-63.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 127
Thanks everyone! I think I'm finally finished with everything! The breather tube fitting is good to go, and it'll have a round velcro patch that can attach to a corresponding patch sewn into a suit.

Hoping to start casting more next week...

Attachments

• Black Guard - breather tube 1.jpg
    Black Guard - breather tube 1.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 148
  • Black Guard - breather tube 2.jpg
    Black Guard - breather tube 2.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 125
  • breather tube velcro.jpg
    breather tube velcro.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 132
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back