How do you climb up stairs in mecha cosplay

Dabboy

Hi everyone, this question is geared towards fellow mecha cosplayer with huge shoes. How do you manage to walk up/down the stairs.
I'm completing my Chouginga Gurren Lagann cosplay right now and find walking the stairs is actually an issue.
Any help or tips is really appreciated.
Thanks!

Short answer: you don't.

Big feet and limited vision make stairs not only difficult but dangerous as well. Depending on the proportions of the feet, you could side-step your way up a staircase, but it still won't be easy or safe. This is one of the reasons people with bulky costumes often need handlers; even a short curb could land you on your face! Without someone to literally hold your hand, you're better off simply avoiding stairs.

I agree. Handlers are a must with most bulky/low-vision costumes just to get around safely on level ground, much less stairs and muti-level rooms. I know it is tough to bring friend handlers to far away shows, but a lot of times it is possible to meet people that will help you for contests, etc. It could be a great way to meet new friends! Most attendees are anxious to help people with cool costumes.

I tried to climb up stairs with my Gurren Lagann, and trust me. . DON'T, use the escalator or an elevator. And I also agree on Sourdoh's idea, most people specially cosplay fans will help you during the event specially with such badass costume :thumbsup Goodluck man!

Indeed, you don't. They had to push me up the ramp with my gundam to get backstage. Then I used all the elevators possible and they had me stay downstairs as much as possible too.

If possible, make the 'boot' part detachable and easy to reconnect for those moments, although with a mech you'll probably still need a handler to pull this off. With my Lego minifig setup, the legs were built like giant moon boots.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back