Starlord Cosplay (No Helmet)

grudgehammer

Figured I'd throw my hat in there too (IronManiac told me to). Cosplaying as a helmet-less Starlord for DragonCon! Here's what I've got so far.

Ordered the Starlord jacket from Film Jackets like everyone else. I was worried about buying a medium (as I had to get my last coat custom made cause my shoulders were too large), but their size charts said it's what I needed. And it turned out great, I think!

1919646_10101598377855091_544720122924237197_n.jpg

I also went the the Sketchers and these half chaps (I think Jackal has the same ones):

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/291040365240...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

The picture is dark, but they worked out great I thought:

10501624_10101598377805191_4448418591949885316_n.jpg

For the pants, I got the Motorcycle pants listed here:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281178723649?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I got these yesterday but they're a lot darker than the picture indicates and just plain uncomfortable. They might work if I remove the armored padding and the lip that protects the lower back (which just feels awkward and not something I could handle for a whole con).

Found these a few days ago for the headphones:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/181463660977?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

Going to be modifying this belt buckle:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/400677304488?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

Grabbed this for his sling bag that he carries at the beginning of the movie. Might modify it to have a piece of cloth drape from the left side of the bag over it to cover all of the zippers. Was the only one I could find that was roughly the same size and shape from the screenshots I took:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331236247621...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

Rocket Boosters will probably be papercraft versions of the 3D model I saw on here recently. I wanted to purchase a pair but just ran out of money.

Was looking into double holster leather belts (as they have that droop on the sides of the belt that his have), but they're going for too much (and look too western) so I'll probably just modify a thicker leather belt. I wanted to add a small plexiglass sheet hanging onto either side of the belt with a thin line cut down the middle of it about halfway down. I could then attach a metal ring to the guns (using the Nerf gun method) and slide them down into it so that they hang at the same height as his do in the movie. Thoughts on that?

Also going to replicate the walkman via plexiglass and glue. After that, I'm going to paint up some foam from my left over floor mats and fit them inside and then sit my phone inside of it so I can still listen to the OST.

OH! I also forgot, I was thinking of grabbing these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Tone-Hea...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2a5235b4&_uhb=1

I wanted to modify them some and paint them silver, then attach to my ears via spirit gum (would remove the part that actually goes into the ear). The reason behind this is that while looking at a screenshot of his sling bag, I noticed these things behind his ears that I can only assume house the rest of his helmet when it's off:

starlord-back.jpg

Since I won't have a helmet, I thought it'd be a fun meta reason as to why not.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Looking good so far! I really like a lot of the pieces that you've sourced, especially the bag. I really need to figure out what I'm doing for a bag - I don't know if I'll have time to order one from China at this point, so I think I'll go shopping to try to find something "close enough" locally. I might also try to figure out a pattern to make my own, but I'm really not confident in my sewing skills to make something with so much detail on it!

I'm diggin' it!

I have questions about the pants though. How did they fit in relation to what you normally wear, and is there a removable liner? Many times these pants can have another set of pants worn underneath, so if I'm a 34" waist and order a 34" does it fit like iot should, or like it should fit over another set of pants?

I got the 36 inch one cause (I usually buy a 36 inch to have a little bit of room in the waist but I can wear a 34) and they were tight as ****. I'm going to try and remove the inner lining and padding today to see if I can salvage it. It'll suck if not, cause they honestly look really great (aside from being too dark, but that's something I can change with some bleach/washes).

Sweet! Thanks for the info. When/if you remove the lining let me know how it fits after. It will help me to get the right size.

You have me a but worried about the size of jacket I bought. lol You mention that you are a 36" waist and a medium jacket and look like a pretty regular sized guy. I'm a 34" waist and a from the sizing chart on fjackets I'm an XL in jacket. (mom always said I had broad shoulders lol) I should know at lunch if the jacket is right because it's waiting for me to pick it up.

Sweet! Thanks for the info. When/if you remove the lining let me know how it fits after. It will help me to get the right size.

You have me a but worried about the size of jacket I bought. lol You mention that you are a 36" waist and a medium jacket and look like a pretty regular sized guy. I'm a 34" waist and a from the sizing chart on fjackets I'm an XL in jacket. (mom always said I had broad shoulders lol) I should know at lunch if the jacket is right because it's waiting for me to pick it up.

Well, I wear a size 34 but get 36 normally cause I find it more comfortable (cause I tend to not actually wear my pants directly on my waist). 6'0, 204lbs, 20 inch shoulders, 42.5 inch chest. Not sure if that helps calm your nerves or make them skyrocket, heh.

I got my jacket in yesterday, and they suggested I order a small (41" chest). It is definitely snug, but doesn't look bad. I'm on the fence about whether or not I should exchange it for a medium, but my wife insisted it looked right (and she isn't one to shy away from telling me something looks bad!)

I got my jacket in yesterday, and they suggested I order a small (41" chest). It is definitely snug, but doesn't look bad. I'm on the fence about whether or not I should exchange it for a medium, but my wife insisted it looked right (and she isn't one to shy away from telling me something looks bad!)

Mine's snug too, but not in a bad way. The sleeves are perfect though, so I don't wanna go up a size (plus, there's no way I'd get it back in time before the movie premiere, which I plan on dressing up for).

Well, I wear a size 34 but get 36 normally cause I find it more comfortable (cause I tend to not actually wear my pants directly on my waist). 6'0, 204lbs, 20 inch shoulders, 42.5 inch chest. Not sure if that helps calm your nerves or make them skyrocket, heh.

I'm only 5'6", but 200 lbs. I have a 44.5" chest and not sure about the shoulders. I have been working out pretty hard for the last year and have been bulking in the shoulders, chest and arms pretty rapidly. I'm hoping by my local con in May, I'll have the body to match the clips of Prat in the trailers. lol.

I guess I'll know in a couple hours. I forgot I have a lunch meeting today and may have to wait a bit before going to pick it up.

Edit. Couldn't resist and ducked out before lunch to get it.

http://www.therpf.com/f78/peter-flarkin-quill-star-lord-209813/index6.html

Last edited:
Alright so, the pants are actually awesome. I removed the inner lining and the pads and they fit great. I just need to remove the lumbar protection (or just fold it down, which is what I'm doing right now). If I can get them to go a shade or two lighter by bleaching them or something, then remove the pockets on the front of the legs they'll be perfect.

Thanks for posting the headphone link! I was having a hard time finding orange pads :D

Your costume progress is looking great! Looks like you've found good approximations for all the major parts.

For the helmet behind-the-ear piece, maybe you could just sculpt one from a piece of foam/floor mat? The shape of the appliance in the movie is quite a bit more irregular than the hearing aid you posted a link to.

I'm only 5'6", but 200 lbs. I have a 44.5" chest and not sure about the shoulders. I have been working out pretty hard for the last year and have been bulking in the shoulders, chest and arms pretty rapidly. I'm hoping by my local con in May, I'll have the body to match the clips of Prat in the trailers. lol.

I guess I'll know in a couple hours. I forgot I have a lunch meeting today and may have to wait a bit before going to pick it up.

Edit. Couldn't resist and ducked out before lunch to get it.

http://www.therpf.com/f78/peter-flarkin-quill-star-lord-209813/index6.html

did you go to the premiere at chinook?
i think i saw you there

Thanks for posting the headphone link! I was having a hard time finding orange pads :D

Your costume progress is looking great! Looks like you've found good approximations for all the major parts.

For the helmet behind-the-ear piece, maybe you could just sculpt one from a piece of foam/floor mat? The shape of the appliance in the movie is quite a bit more irregular than the hearing aid you posted a link to.

Yeah, that's what I'm working on right now actually. Girlfriend suggested just using the floormats/foam to do it. Good call!

No helmet, so I had dyed my hair and got it cut to try and match Chris Pratt. Gonna add zombie dirt to my face at the con to dirty it up. Headphones around the neck, helmet "things" behind the ears.

10599263_10101640043841121_4396556351052368309_n.jpg20140813_223524.jpg

Also got some Leather Balm w/ Atom Wax. Gonna sand down the jacket some and apply to make it a shade darker.

Attachments

• 20140813_223524.jpg
    20140813_223524.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 101
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back