My 1:32 scale new Battlestar Galactica hangar bay diorama

edspaged2

Hi everyone

new to the forum. Back into modelling after a bit of a hiatus. I was always a sci if model builder. I decided to get back into it after the newer BSG series. The moebius models viper were a hoot to build! I built 4 MKII vipers and 2 MKVII vipers and also a 1:32 scale Bad-azz raptor for a hangar bay diorama I'm building. I have to say I'm not a pro like you guys on here at painting and scratch building but I try. So far I've scratch made the hangar walls/pillar things and cast them in resin. ive attached some pics. Hopefully they show up. My ipad plays tricks on me :(

is is there anybody else on here that has done a hangar bay setup for their vipers? Can't seem to find anything online. I've seen a few pics on google images that lead to a site called Bruce scale modelling but the pics don't show up on his site for some reason.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    725.4 KB · Views: 440
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 288
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 436
Welcome to the forum.

Looks like you're off to a good start.

The only other large scale hanger I have seen was over on the Hobby Talk forum some time back.
There was also a small (1 slot) dio I saw that was nice.

Cheers. I'll have a look around on that. It's gonna take me a while to build this thing up. Lots of resin and silicone molds. That stuff isn't cheap here so I bought a big batch of it from some guy in San Diego and got it sent here.
I've copied the original blueprint pics off the net (lee stringer) and scaled it down to the best I could within a millimetre. I'm working on the back wall at the moment. I've also done the big red doors but I haven't cast them yet.
There is a guy who makes these (yeti forge?) hangar bays and I was originally going to buy something off him but he never got back to me so I though what the heck. I'll give it a go.

that's looking really good so far. I've been toying with a hangar bay diorama for a while now, but I never thought of casting the whole lot in resin, more like MDF or foam or something similar, so you're going all out!! I'm hanging out to see the finished product!!

Cheers mate, I'm also building up a single hangar bay diorama for my mate which will be lit up with led lights too. The wiring ive easily hidden inside the 'tubes' or pipes that are on a slant on the pillar walls. Ill post pics of that soon too. You've given me ideas about using mdf and foam too now haha. Ill also be using plasticard too in a few areas.
How is your build going? Do you have any pics?

No, I haven't actually built anything yet, just toying with the idea and trying to find good screen shots to use as a basis for the hangar/workshop bay. I remember seeing some pics on the web a while ago, I'll see if I can find it again.

Yeah they look sweet! That's what made me want to do a diorama of the new series.

Check this site out. That's where I got the measurements for the hangar and design. Had to magnify my iPad to the extreme to get the measurements off the blueprints. Lee stringer was one of the 3d artists for new galactica. theres also a few hangar bay shots that should help you out. It'll certainly help me out!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lee_stringer/sets/72157623439022343/

That's the site I was talking about. Your link leads to Flickr, but there is a web page out there somewhere with this stuff on it. Pages and pages of close ups of the costumes, helmets vipers, sets etc. Good stuff....

Klaus Shaftner has a couple videos posted on "The Original Battlestar Galactica models" page on FB. There's one of the hangar bay complete with lighting and sound effects. Amazing what some people can do!

edspaged2,

I just found this thread, have you been able to do more work on it? Were you able to find anything else to help you?

hi mate, unfortunately I haven't done any work to it lately as I'm working abroad for a while. I did rig up some lights to the pillars though. I wish I took my mold with me but it weighed a fair bit. I'm looking into possibly making another one though as I've got access to an awesome milling machine now. I'll definitely keep you posted. Are you planning on building a hangar bay?

hi mate, unfortunately I haven't done any work to it lately as I'm working abroad for a while. I did rig up some lights to the pillars though. I wish I took my mold with me but it weighed a fair bit. I'm looking into possibly making another one though as I've got access to an awesome milling machine now. I'll definitely keep you posted. Are you planning on building a hangar bay?

I most certainly want to build one. I even have some figures for the deck crew. There are five figures that were sold by Mad Dog Resin a few years ago. The owner, a chap named Charlie no longer wanted to sell them himself so I bought the masters and molds myself. There is one mold missing and the master for it is damaged and needs considerable repair. The other four molds are near there end and all of these masters need some small repair. I've also picked up some deck equipment and even two ladders from Shapeways.
I am working on the figures to get them up to snuff so I can make them available to anyone who wants them. Here are a few photos I have to show them and the equipment.

Deck Crew 1 .jpgView attachment 494753PC181453.JPGPC181455.JPGPC181456.JPG

I have also painted up one of my test casts, P2121463small.JPGP2121464small.JPGP2121465small.JPG

I most certainly want to build one. I even have some figures for the deck crew. There are five figures that were sold by Mad Dog Resin a few years ago. The owner, a chap named Charlie no longer wanted to sell them himself so I bought the masters and molds myself. There is one mold missing and the master for it is damaged and needs considerable repair. The other four molds are near there end and all of these masters need some small repair. I've also picked up some deck equipment and even two ladders from Shapeways.
I am working on the figures to get them up to snuff so I can make them available to anyone who wants them. Here are a few photos I have to show them and the equipment.

View attachment 494752View attachment 494753View attachment 494774View attachment 494775View attachment 494776

I have also painted up one of my test casts, View attachment 494777View attachment 494778View attachment 494787

Sweet mate, I'd most definitely be interested in buying some of the deck crew if you decide on making new molds. Where did you get the equipment from? Forklift, etc.

I'm drawing up the new plans for the pillars at the moment. Again. I might make this next one out of either aluminium or peek, this hard solid type of plastic. I was thinking of making another huge hangar bay with the FM 1/24 vipers but I don't think I'd have anywhere to put it haha. Plus, all my 1/32 vipers are all painted :)

I am definitely going to do new molds once I get the figures looking human. The deck equipment was purchased on Starship modeler and Cultman TV, unfortunately they are no longer available. They were made by Brad Hair of Brad Hair Productions. He told me he was working on a whole new set of equipment he wanted to release at the same time as the Moebius Raptor. There is a chap on Hobby Talk forum, ClubTepes, who does up a fantastic looking toolbox complete with decals. I've written him to see if he still sells them. They were $25 US + shipping last I saw.

Did the resin ones not work out? I know what you mean about space. SWMBO would like to know just where in the hell I plan to display my diorama once it's done. Don't get me wrong, she fully supports my hobbies, it's just that we live in a 967 square foot house with two kids.

I am definitely going to do new molds once I get the figures looking human. The deck equipment was purchased on Starship modeler and Cultman TV, unfortunately they are no longer available. They were made by Brad Hair of Brad Hair Productions. He told me he was working on a whole new set of equipment he wanted to release at the same time as the Moebius Raptor. There is a chap on Hobby Talk forum, ClubTepes, who does up a fantastic looking toolbox complete with decals. I've written him to see if he still sells them. They were $25 US + shipping last I saw.

Did the resin ones not work out? I know what you mean about space. SWMBO would like to know just where in the hell I plan to display my diorama once it's done. Don't get me wrong, she fully supports my hobbies, it's just that we live in a 967 square foot house with two kids.

The resin ones came out perfect! Needed a lil sanding and some putty to fill in small holes. I made 7 pillars before I ran out of resin. It's just that since you've brought all this back up it's peeked my interest in it again.

Thats a a bugger that he doesn't do them anymore. Hopefully he does bring something out with the release of the raptor. The moebius site has no info on the release of the new raptor. Why wouldn't they want to let people to know about it? It'd certainly gain a lot of interest.

I am told it takes a few years of practice to rid yourself of the air bubbles when you pour. I've also been told the a vacuum chamber or a pressure pot or even roto-casting is the way to go. Can't afford any of those right now so careful, slow and ready is my method. Still have to do some touch ups but hey, that's life.

The equipment from Brad isn't as nice close up. The hauler is a Raymond Order Picker ( https://www.google.ca/search?q=Raym...jJoLfiALT1IHgDQ&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1120&bih=567 ) and he didn't do all that great a job on it. In fact the one he sent had warped when it was cast so I was going to make one myself, One piece is a battery charger with no wheels or handles and the tank/cylinder doesn't resemble any I could see on the show. His tool chest sucks compared to ClubTepes. All that said, his were the only game in town at the time so I got them. I've grown more comfortable with scratchbuilding my own stuff so that is what I'm going to do.

As far as Moebius giving a release date, they have been bit in the arse a couple of times in the past. He posted a message on a couple of the modeling forums explaining that from drawing to model kit isn't a smooth process at all, especially when your casts are done overseas. I'm sure he'dmlove to give a firm release date but with manufacturing and shipping delays it would only **** off the folks waiting for the kit.

I found a chap on evilbay that sold a 1/72nd scale hanger bay set up;
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161741393766?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I'm including the photos he had on evilbay at the bottom. Enjoy.
1-72 scale hanger bay 01.JPG1-72 scale hanger bay 02.JPG1-72 scale hanger bay 03.JPG1-72 scale hanger bay 04.JPG

Where I'm from in Australia the average outside temp during summer is 42 degrees Celsius. So not really much time for bubbles to disappear. 2 minute resin is more like 30 seconds. Also the size of the pillar is quite big. I wouldn't be able to fit it inside a vacuum chamber.

The tool stuff looked pretty basic that's why I was a bit hesitant buying it. The ladder I scratch built myself and that came out good.

I spotted that hangar on eBay a few weeks ago. Looks good! You've probably already noticed if you've seen the blueprints of the hangar bay set they used onscreen that if you go by their bay dimensions a viper mk7 wouldn't fit. The bays need to be spaced out a little bit. And also the hangar onscreen didn't have enough bays in it. Should have had 7 bays and eight launch tubes.

'm having a similar problem here in Alberta, Canada. Temps in the high 20' to mid 30's which is above the norm here. Calgary sits at an elevation of just over a kilometer so the air is just a bit thinner. All that makes for fast setting of the resin as well. I've been looking into extenders to draw out the pot life.

Yes, the equipment is pretty basic but they give me a template to work from. I picked up a Tamiya US Army Tank repair set, have plans for all the tools included. Been eyeing a couple of photo-etch sets as well. They have pliers, saws and even micrometers. I'd love to see a picture of your ladder. I'm still coating the one I got off of Shapeways.

I'm pretty sure the guys who drew the hanger plans didn't talk to the guys who built the Mk Vll mock up. The other problem would also have bee that there was only a finite amount of space in the studio to build the set and they probably ran out of room, LOL.

I've been in touch with ClubTepes and he said he'd check to make sure he had all the parts for one toolchest. If he does, are you interested in one? I'm including a couple of pics for you as well.toolbox 01.jpgToolbox 02.jpgtoolbox 03.jpgtoolbox 04.jpg

He adapted a Master Details figure for his Starbuck in the last three photos.

Ah Canada. I'm heading there next year. I wouldn't think you'd have problems with resin there but looks like you do too!

Unfortunately I didn't take photos of my ladder. I made mine out of photo etch checker plate I had and thin fencing wire. There is a thread floating around here of a guy from Japan's build of a viper mkII and he took a photo of the ladder he bought online and took photos of it on his cutting mat with millimetre squares. I used his photo to bend my fencing wire ladder runs to the right shape and size lol.

Mate have you seen the photos of that hangar set now?! All demolished :( very sad.... I wish Battlestar had received a bigger audience. I feel it was very under-appreciated.

I'd most definitely love to get the tool chest if he's still got them kicking about. Hopefully he's still got decals too.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back