MortalMagus's 2014 Jun-Jul Sculpture Contest Entry

mortalmagus

Hey everyone,

I really started sculpting back in 2000 out of a need to create latex masks for live action roleplay games. It was difficult to find a mask that was comfortable or that fit the needs of gaming. My first mask I did in water based clay and it kinda melted when I went to cast it as I had no idea what I was doing. I'd like to think I have improved a bit since then. I now produce about 30 different masks for our games and have started selling them to other larps to help improve the immersion and look of larp here in New England.

At this stage everyone was kind enough to tell me it looked like a bunch of penises.

Added some copper brads for the eyes and defined the snakes a little more and added some texture.

And here is the finished sculpt just before I hit it with crystal clear.I'm going to try and finish casting it this week. I hope you like it.

Last edited:
This is really cool. I've always wanted to sculpt Medusa, but I've been intimidated by all the snakes I would have to sculpt. I thought about sculpting the head and using rubber snakes for the hair, but I thought it would look lame.

Great work.

I actually tried the rubber snake thing first but the ones I ordered were way too small and I didn't think would look like snakes at a distance.
One other idea I had was to mold a single long snake and mold it several times to possibly add to the back and make it a longer hairpiece or even add wires to them so they could be posed.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back