New Pokedex GBA Mod/Replica Build

I've been wondering why you deviated from the front plate shape by the D-Pad. Yours follows the circular curve of the D-Pad surround, whereas the concept picture sort of goes in a rounded rectangle shape.

It's strictly a matter of the GBA's size and layout, and a few design deviations were required. If this were simply a prop build, I would have started entirely from scratch, and constructed it to match the rendering exactly. However, this is just a themed console mod, and has to function once I'm finished. TONS of additional cutting, chopping, grafting, and wiring would be required to make this completely accurate... and it would probably be about 30% bigger.

If I had cut the front fascia pieces to match, it would have looked really awkward (believe me, I made many test plates out of posterboard before settling on the current design).

Man, that looks just fantastic!

I'll admit, though, it also looks like the positioning of the d-pad could make it slightly awkward to hold.

Man, that looks just fantastic!

I'll admit, though, it also looks like the positioning of the d-pad could make it slightly awkward to hold.

I thought so, also.
But it was actually really easy to get used to. As soon as I held it in my hands, it felt perfectly normal.

Alright, there's been a lot of questions and speculation across the outerwebs in regards to how I'm constructing this.
Hopefully this will help quell the onslaught of suggestions and inquiries from people that don't think I know what I'm doing.

labeled_zps7fe3ae2b.jpg

So am I to understand that there is a whole cottage industry of GameBoy modders?

I remember spray painting my (translucent purple) GameBoy Color gray... How many points do I get for that? :lol

So am I to understand that there is a whole cottage industry of GameBoy modders?

Yeah, there's a pretty solid Gameboy modding scene. Some guys manufacture replacement parts, and modified hardware for producing music and doing live performances. There's also a group of people, like me, who make functional pieces of art... Check out rosecoloredgaming. They have some really impressive products.

BTW, I've been enjoying following your modding.

What are you going to do for the 'camera' / D-pad?

-MJ

I'm going to cast a "lens" joystick out of resin, polish the hell out of it, and inset it in the D-pad. Effectively turning the lens into the knob.
I've done a couple protobuilds of it, and now I'm just waiting for my casting supplies to show up.

Last edited:
I was wondering if your were going to leave the + D-pad open or try to dome it. Glad to hear you are taking it to the next level!

Also found your thread over on the chiptune forum. Some great builds! Did you ever finish that NES all-in-one build? Loved the concept and execution on that one. I want a full 360 photo presentation!

527927E2-CDD4-4F03-815A-A566E99BB4A4_zpsknz3u3ju.jpg

I was wondering if your were going to leave the + D-pad open or try to dome it. Glad to hear you are taking it to the next level!

Also found your thread over on the chiptune forum. Some great builds! Did you ever finish that NES all-in-one build? Loved the concept and execution on that one. I want a full 360 photo presentation!

The D-pad is going to be drilled out, and a custom cast resin "lens" will be fitted inside.

Ah, the "Travel NES"
This project is still ongoing. It stalled out because I moved to Stockton for a few months, and simply didn't have it with me. I need to order some sheets of ABS, figure out batteries and charging, fix the screen color and contrast, and then paint it. Once I have all the parts I need; it should only take about a week to finish it... then there's the matter of designing the packaging and having it printed.

There will be MANY high quality photos, and they'll be taken with a DSLR.

2A3A448D-51BE-4B74-BA27-8601D1D0F23A_zpsb9cgfywh.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back