Remove acrylic paint from resin?? Any tricks besides sanding

If you don't want to go brake fluid, try soaking it in something like 409, EZ off oven cleaner, Fantastic or any household cleaner that says do not use on painted surface.

Ryu

Steve, I ran into this problem when I was painting my walker head. A friend of mine recomended me to soak the entire resin head in "Mr Muscle oven cleaner" foam. I let soak in it for 24 hours and then all I had to do was to shower it with water! Everything came of in an second, you can also help it on it's way with a tooth brush.

The resin was completly un harmed and my friend toold me this was an old tank builder trick.

Try it man, I'll bet you'll be surprised how well it works!
icon_smile.gif

Steve.

Hey, you guys might want to stay away from the brake fluid... I tried that with a resin '66 batmobile body and it took a year for the resin to firm back up again afterwards. It turned the body flexible and rubbery and actually ate through in some spots - the body was completely ruined.

I use Easy Off oven cleaner. Place the parts in a ziplock back, spray liberally with Easy Off and then close up the bag and let it sit for a while (I wait over night). Scrub with an old toothbrush to get in the panel lines and corners and such. Sometimes a second application is called for, but I've never had a problem with damage to the resin.

Some folks swear by Castrol Super Clean too...

Mark Snyder
Seoul, Korea

I've never had a problem with Easy Off on styrene... I can't speak for enamel paints because I only use acrylics but I can tell you that Easy Off has no trouble at all with Krylon Sandable Primer...

Mark Snyder
Seoul, Korea

Thanks- I've got a few older Trek models that I'm looking at re-doing now that I know how to paint (at least half-way decently)
icon_smile.gif

Ethan

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
E Williams wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Does the oven cleaner work on styrene plastic too? How does it do with enamel paints?

Ethan
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Oh yes, you can use it one styrene and it will remove enamels just fine.

Steve.

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back