Rise of the Tomb Raider (2015)

Will do! I've just cooked this idea up over the past few days.. so it may be a small while before I begin on it.

I plan to laminate the handle... so that I can have the structural detail of the real one and also make it so that I can make a detachable pick/adze for it so that if a con doesn't like the wooden blade I can insert a foam or Sintra one instead for safety.

I'd not have attempted this previously (mostly because I didn't have a scroll saw) but now that I have a real one to trace/take,measurements from/etc... I feel like I have a good shot at success.

I would go with the foam or rubber blade, you can do some damage with Sintra.
I used to play with it at the sign shop I worked at.

I was looking at Smooth-On at their flexible foam for Con safe axes.

A 1 gallon kit of silicon (mold max 30) and 1 gallon kit of flex foam It-25lb would be about $300.
Probably wouldn't need that much silicon if it was a thin enough mold with solid mother mold.
Since the foam does expand (X2) it would probably yield several axes.

With the small trial size kit's you could make replacement blades for both axes for about $50.

Just throwing that out there for everyone. ;)

Or I could make them out of foam for about 2 dollars and still afford to replace them quite often.

Sintra isn't at all dangerous if you're paying attention to what you're doing. I made a Sintra blade for my axe last year for Comic Con, and the "pointy" areas were sanded down enough that it wasn't going to cut or injure anyone.

From this picture several things appear different to what we've seen previously:

1. Her parka looks vastly different. First, it doesn't *appear* to have a coyote fur lining...it looks like a shell only. Second, it's got pockets on the chest area, as opposed to the bottom of the coat area as seen previously. Third, it doesn't appear to be as form fitting.

To me it looks similar to a US Army Fishtail Parka... except for the pockets on the chest area...they don't have those. Also there are shoulder eppaulets, which the Fishtail Parka doesn't have. M65 Field Jacket, perhaps? But no... because this coat appears to have lower "slash" pockets, and an M65 doesn't have those. Gahhh! I give up :p

2. She seems to be wearing a Blackhawk Style Tactical Thigh Holster, rather than the leather holster from the previous game.

3. It looks like she may have a Chrome Plated M-9 as well.

4. These may or may not be the Charles Street Boots. It's impossible to be sure from this one pic...we can't see if they've got the buckles at the ankles or not. But I don't recall them having speed lace fittings on the upper part of the boots... i could be wrong.

Of course this could just be another concept picture, and not representative of the final in-game model. But if nothing else it provides options for those who don't have luck finding the "exact" items we've seen so far.

Last edited:
At first I thought it was German since it's close to the parka I just got but the pocket flaps are straight with 2 snaps.
Their older blouse have the chevron pockets, no zipper. Says there is a pocket on the left sleeve but I don't see one.
This one is promising but no arm pocket.

This Czech Woman's jacket is close in style but missing the left arm pocket and buttons on the outside.
Interesting that the bottom pockets are on the back.

Austrian, again missing the arm pocket.

It's not Serbian.

Looking at Soviet Era right now.
Definitely European, I'm guessing Eastern due to the game location and Soviet era ruins.

Last edited:
That breakdown is awesome! So much detail, and it even tells you the sort of fabric some of the items are made from!
I'd noticed the green jacket fastened on the opposite side to typical women's jackets, now we know it's actually supposed to be a men's jacket!

May end up scratch-making the red ski jacket based on the images that we can see now, did a Hoth Leia snowsuit a few years ago, so it should be far simpler to sew than that. Whatever the 'real' jacket is, it's probably slightly different from the game model, and a bit more pricey than my budget will allow. Will be easy to add in the black panels, and it also makes for a fun challenge!

So glad that it seems the Timberland boots and the pendant will be reused.
Am thinking of making some resin casts of my pendant and putting them on Etsy for sale if anyone's interested. I tried to sculpt it as close in size and as accurate in detail to the 2013 game model as possible, it's tiny, roughly 17mm in diameter.

Lara%20Pendant_zpsglugcpbn.png

It makes me so happy to see you guys being such busy bees! I've been swamped with post car accident medical appointments, etc. Though now, thanks to the amazing folks at Crystal Dynamics who know first-hand the pain of trying to figure out the details of Lara Croft's costume (like what is the @#$% colour of her pants?!), we have a complete breakdown of the first costume from Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Here's the link ----> http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/02/20/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-gear-guide.aspx

But here's the images as a collected source below.

It's nice to have that big breakdown... but it STILL leaves questions because in just about every release that we have gathered here the details are different. YES, it's always a green parka... but it looks way different in EVERY single release picture. The Holster is different in EVERY picture... the belt accessories are different, etc... the scarf is different. UGGH!

On one hand I guess it's is good because it leaves us leeway to decide which items we want to go after... but on the other hand it makes it difficult to distill down what is the quintessential iteration of this outfit. :-/

Well it is "concept art" so it's was probably more intended for in house work.
But as I guessed earlier there are some Soviet Era items.

There are some Timberland boots on ebay at the moment - do a search for "Timberland CHARLES 36", and they should pop up.

Hi everyone,

After seeing the great gear guide I started doing some research and I believe that I have found the main body of the holster and the long ammo pouch. The holster is the #YU-2-Outrider from a great leather company called Chisholm's Trail.
Old_West_Leather_Holsters_Cowboy_Holsters_28A_OUTRIDER_lg.jpg

The long ammo pouch seems to be a Swedish magazine pouch for the KG m/21

Pouch 01.jpg

I have already started working on the pattern for Lara's holster and pouches so hopefully the smaller pouch will be found soon!

The knife's going to be a problem, unless you decide to custom build it. The "Soviet tactical knife" is a Soviet NRS-2 knife, known for it's ability to shoot a SP-4 suppressed pistol cartridge from it's handle. These things are SUPER rare, and equally expensive, if not completely nonexistent on the markets. A good alternative for this (in my opinion, at least) would be a regular AKM/AK-74 bayonet. it's roughly the same size and shape, and would be virtually indistinguishable from the correct knife. If not used as a stand-in, it would be a decent base to build a more accurate prop from.

For comparison, here's a picture of th NRS-2;
http://content.foto.mail.ru/community/zonawar.ru/1854/s-1955.jpg

..And here's an AK-74 bayonet;
http://www.samilitaria.com/SAM/Trade Scans/Weapons/Bayonets/Russian Tula AKM 037 a.JPG
These can be found with black furniture aswell, but those are generally more expensive.

Hope this helps!

_A

I saw several pouches like that on the Bush Crafters forum.
Sadly they just made it a members only site so you have to sign up to read anything.:angry

The knife's going to be a problem, unless you decide to custom build it.
_A

Also... at least here in the States ... very ILLEGAL. That firing pin assembly in the handle amounts to a Zip Gun... which we definitely can't have.

But yes, a typical AK Bayonet would be a good start. If you redo the grip it could pass very well.. and won't land you in jail ;-)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back