Thor is a woman

I'm baffled that folks can actually be appalled.
If you're a comic reader you know stuff like this just goes with the territory.
If you're not a comic reader then it's not going to roll over into the movies so who cares?

That doesn't mean it's going to be bad.

No, but when the publisher is actively promoting it before it happens, it's just a lame attention grab. It doesn't mean it couldn't be good, but IMO, if they had that kinda faith in it they wouldn't be shopping to media outlets purely to garner attention. If they believed in it, you release it without going on a media tour for it and let the PR fall how it may.

I'm baffled that folks can actually be appalled.
If you're a comic reader you know stuff like this just goes with the territory.
If you're not a comic reader then it's not going to roll over into the movies so who cares?

So if a tall leggy blond woman showed up in DC and introduced herself as Bruce Wayne that'd be normal? Not Batman, but introduced herself as Bruce Wayne, the millionaire playboy. Because that's exactly the kind of crap this is, the theft of a person's birth name.

So if a tall leggy blond woman showed up in DC and introduced herself as Bruce Wayne that'd be normal? Not Batman, but introduced herself as Bruce Wayne, the millionaire playboy. Because that's exactly the kind of crap this is, the theft of a person's birth name.

The Joker was Martha Wayne in Flashpoint Paradox...

If you can't tell the difference between the two, and cite only a one shot alternate universe as precedence as reason that the standard accepted universe in comics should be changed, then I can't help you.

If you can't tell the difference between the two, and cite only a one shot alternate universe as precedence as reason that the standard accepted universe in comics should be changed, then I can't help you.

Which standard accepted universe are you refering to? The one where House of M happened, where Wolverine was a Furry? The universe where Spiderman reveals himself to be Peter Parker? Or how about when Jean Grey kills herself? The entire marvel universe is one giant retcon.

All we know about this series is that Thor will be female. My money is on this being a one shot or later being retconed out of existence.

Re: Thor has been transgendered

At least female Thor has pants.

In some of the recent comics, she's been seen in a single piece jumpsuit, which comes with pants.

1893829-valkyrie05.jpg

Aww, how awesome of Marvel to hire that marketing genius who came up with "New Coke" to work for them. He'd been out of work a long time. "Guys...I gotta an idea....this is big....wait for it!"

Kidding a little of course. Yeah, yeah, I get the whole alternate universe thing. I get it.

Meh, :rolleyes I mean why?? I don't really care, but it just hits me as why??

Someone else put it better, pick-up your writing if you want to farm a new audience. Guess I'm just old and dig my 70's flavor comics.

Another thing is that "Thor" is also a name that is used today and as such it is exclusively a boy's name, held by thousands of men and boys in the Nordic European countries.
In Sweden alone, there are 1727 males named "Thor", and 4803 males with the more common spelling "Tor", but not a single female. It does not sound like many, but then the entire country has a population size dwarfed by New York. When I grew up and went to school, there were two Tor in my class.

Last edited:
Which standard accepted universe are you refering to? The one where House of M happened, where Wolverine was a Furry? The universe where Spiderman reveals himself to be Peter Parker? Or how about when Jean Grey kills herself? The entire marvel universe is one giant retcon.

All we know about this series is that Thor will be female. My money is on this being a one shot or later being retconed out of existence.

And all of your examples are completely irrelevant and comparing apples to oranges. As I said, the best example is a tall leggy blond woman showing up in DC on the regular Batman comics and stating that her name is Bruce Wayne, billionaire playboy, and no one bats an eye. This is a stupid theft of a person's birth name and complete crap.

Apparently this isn't going over any better than the new Captain America, though with Cap it's more of a title than anything, as Adult swim had at least 4 bump commercials last night talking about how stupid an idea it is and how easy it would be just to make a new character. I wonder if all this is because Disney is demanding more diversity in the characters.

I'll be curious to see if it actually generates an increase in readership, just a temporary spike, or whether it has no real effect at all.

I expect there will be a small spike in sales from the "I gotta see this" crowd, then it'll slump until Odinson comes back which will get another spike.

Though with the constant event mentality Marvel has with their All New Now Marvel Now New Now Now Now All Now New Now nonsense it's a wonder their sales aren't spiky as all get out. I'd think the constant resetting of the issue numbers would be off-putting to their existing readers more than it would attract new readers, but it must be working if they keep doing it.

It'd sound like whoever written that comic watched the movie Switch (1991) with Ellen Barkin of The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai fame, and thought, "Maybe we should do something like that to Bruce Wayne." :lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back