New Star Trek TOS Phaser coming November 2014

There are some new images of the new prototype
This may be the final version, I don't know.
They have toned down the blue, and made it more grey.
The Wand Company's photo album can be accessed by the link below.

http://www.thewandcompany.com/photos/phaser-universal-remote-control/

The 7 or so images at the top of the page are new photos (not renders as seen father down the page) of the final shipping item. Some of the metal parts have a satin metal chrome finish (Front nozzle emitter, trigger, top cowl over front of P2, etc.), while the P1 grille and brass P1 release retain the higher polished finish.

The rep at Wand says if you want a more polished look on the satin parts you can carefully buff those parts to a shine that is more to your liking. Just take care not to go overboard in polishing or you might get down to the copper plating or zinc metal part underneath. They just wanted to more accurately portray the original prop by going with the satin paint finish and appropriate satin metal finish and not go to an overly shiny chromed look on the parts that were aluminum on the original.

On the Firebox site they say November 7th.

My sister in law tried to order one for my brother using the link in the latest Star Trek Store email. When the site wouldn't accept the 25% off discount code at checkout, she called and they told her the 25% off doesn't apply to remotes. Bummer but she did get 15% off. They said the phasers will ship on November 28th.

That fitting issue with the fins in the back is on the original.

I think it has been established that the fins did not fit the original hero very well and were probably swapped between each prop from time to time.

As you can see on the pictures of the GJ prop, on one side (the bad side with the velcro) the fins in the back fitted well, on the other side (the good side without velcro) the fins fitted as badly as on the MR prop. An idealized version of the prop would have fins that fitted well on both sides (like the one from The Wand Co) instead of fins that fitted badly on both sides (like on the MR version).

Last edited:
Yeah, and that makes sense. I've recently decided not to put electronics in my scratch builds for now, since my Wand Co will have great ones and that seems to go better with an idealized replica for me. For the time being at least, I'm going with replica internals on my builds.

Those new photos make me very excited! I've been waiting for a nice TOS replica phaser for years.
I missed the MR phasers when they came out and now they are way too expensive. If they are as nice
as the photos it will put the MR phaser to shame.

I think they went too far dulling down the metal parts (now they look like they're painted), and the grey is too light.

Still buying two. :)

Hard to say if it's too dull or not, accurately photographing metallic surfaces is tricky. I do know that the bright shiny platted version I saw at Comic Con looked kinda cheap 'n' cheesy. I had been planning to dull it down anyway. I'd much rather try to buff a little shine into it. Heck, maybe now I should order a second one just to experiment! :eek

You should be happy then that Wand listened to feedback, because the shipping one has that satin finish to the metal and painted parts. It won't take much buffing to add a bit of shine to match it to your taste. I plan to tape mine off and buff the parts using a dremel buff bit. I'd like to ask others though what they think is the best way to buff parts in hard to reach areas…smaller buff bits to a dremel?

Maybe the Wand folk can suggest the best method?
maybe just 0000 steel wool?
guess we will see in about 30 days...

Wand guys already suggested Scotchbrite and fine steel wool, but to be careful to not over buff and remove too much metal plating and reveal the copper underplating on the zinc part.

I'm just lazy and wondered if the dremel buffing bits would do the trick.

Wand guys already suggested Scotchbrite and fine steel wool, but to be careful to not over buff and remove too much metal plating and reveal the copper underplating on the zinc part.

I'm just lazy and wondered if the dremel buffing bits would do the trick.
Welcome to the club, lazybones!! :p

The buffing bits will absolutely do the trick, as long as you use the buffing compound, or "rouge," that typically comes with a buffing set. It looks like a stick of red clay. You can also get a mondo-big stick of it at most hardware stores. It's far less abrasive than steel wool or scotchbrite, and it'll give you an awesome shine. It's also called jeweler's rouge, because it's used to polish jewelry.

You spin up your Dremel, apply the rouge to the buffing bit, and go to town. When the bit gets really grungy, just spin it against a kitchen sponge and most of the crap will come off. Then re-rouge, and go back to town. I know, it's a lot of metro fare, but it's worth it. :p

You also can use it to polish clear acrylic to make it completely transparent again after you've been sanding out flaws. I'll probably be doing that to the clear parts on my phaser project.

As an alternative, you can use Crest toothpaste. The old, blue-green pasty stuff, not the gel. Arm & Hammer toothpaste can also work, but that may be slightly more abrasive. That's a John Long tip from the phaser instructions. :)

Have fun, and don't forget to generously rouge up your eyeballs. Feels great!! :p

Comet and Ajax also work as rouge. Make a paste with water.
Any polishing compound too.
Just don't spin too fast...you'll burn right thru...and lot of water but you will need to guard against getting the do lithium crystal wet.
Maybe just stick with the dry stuff. ; )

i dont think it will be too tough to get the right sheen. Martin not Charlie.

I like Charlie.

I like to mount my Dremel in a bench vise, rouge it, and then gently press the workpiece against the bit. More control that way, plus it's how I've seen the pros do it on YouTube. Or use a bench buffer. We have one at Techshop, in the bike repair shop, but it seems like overkill to buff tiny phaser parts on it. :)

Here's a YouTube video on buffing basics.

Last edited:
My sister in law tried to order one for my brother using the link in the latest Star Trek Store email. When the site wouldn't accept the 25% off discount code at checkout, she called and they told her the 25% off doesn't apply to remotes. Bummer but she did get 15% off. They said the phasers will ship on November 28th.
I just did the pre-order and mine also says it ships on the 28th. Most of my 15% off was added back for the shipping.

Also, is anybody actually going to use theirs as a remote?

I just did the pre-order and mine also says it ships on the 28th. Most of my 15% off was added back for the shipping.

Also, is anybody actually going to use theirs as a remote?

That's why I ordered 2 of them, 1 to use as a remote and 1 to keep in the display case next to the inaccurate MR :p

I intend to use it as a ****ing awesome phaser!!! I need to get two at some point to have one as a display. I'm quite sure they knew very few of us fans would use the remote. That's why they went the extra mile to make a great replica. After all those Brits are very smart business people and very crafty. Look at the Eaglemoss collection for God's sake! BEST TIME TO BE A TREK FAN. I LOVE LIVING IN THE FUTURE!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back