New Star Trek TOS Phaser coming November 2014

If Thinkgeek gets them in November and assuming they can keep them in stock, they have some great sales starting at and after Black Friday. Sometimes they will do buy one item, get a second item at equal or lesser value for half off, or 20%. They do these a lot during the year but they have been known to also offer free shipping along with the discount. Usually, any discount you get negates their free shipping deal. So maybe if you are lucky, you can pick one up for $120 + tax + free shipping.

...I want one. :) Probably wouldn't get much use as a remote though, as I'd be terrified of my kids losing/breaking it. Teenagers are only slightly less destructive than say...a Death Star. :D

Last night I went back to the Wand Company site to look at the phaser again, and I found that I had actually overlooked a lot of interesting information on this item. It seems like stuff that would be of particular interest to people here, so I thought I'd point it out. Hidden in their FAQ, the company has a highly detailed description of the phaser remote design process and the materials and aesthetic decisions that went into it. I can't link to it directly, but it's on the official product page (http://phaser.thewandcompany.com) under the FAQ regarding "Is the Phaser a 'screen-accurate' replica?" Here is an excerpt that describes the materials that are being used in the replica:

The hero prop is made from a range of different materials including fibreglass, brass, aluminium, resin and acrylic. In order to keep the cost as reasonable as possible we have used the nearest equivalent material that is suitable for modern manufacturing methods. Generally, where metal has been used in the construction of the hero prop, we have used metal in the Phaser replica. In the hero prop, where aluminium is used for the muzzle, side door, heat sink, side rails, thumbwheel, and selector dial, we have used hand-polished, nickel-plated, die cast zinc. The grip of the original is made from hand painted brass tube embellished with popsicle sticks – our replica is also painted, but is made from die cast zinc. The original Phaser I and II bodies are made in fibreglass and have been painted (a number of times through the prop’s history), and we have replicated these parts as closely as possible in lacquer coated, injection moulded ABS. Finally, where the original hero prop uses cast resin or acrylic for the transparent elements, such as the nozzles and lens covers, we have used acrylic and a water-clear co-polyester called Tritan, to achieve the best optical clarity and mouldablity.

This is just a small sample of their behind-the-scenes writeup. There is considerably more information there, so fans of this piece might want to check it out.

If this phaser is as good as their Tenth Doctor's sonic screwdriver, it'll be well worth the money. A phaser is a kind of bizarre choice for a gesture-based remote control...but as a method of bypassing contractual limitations and giving us affordable, (largely) accurate prop replicas for half the price of what other companies might charge, I think it's brilliant. :D

That's pretty sweet. If I didn't have one the looked as nice, I'd definitely go for it.

C'mon you know you want that case.

Way above the Diamond Select toy, and it's not a toy…it's a functioning gesture remote. Additionally, there are metal parts (!!!!!!) and vibrating "Force Feedback"(CRAZY COOL!!!!!!!!!). I'm buying 2 for the $150 price. This is insanely neat with the stackable case made to look like a Starfleet Issue container!!

Last edited:
When the item ships. It's die cast metal and 1:1 -- even if it's just the phaser equivalent of a Mauser, it's still a huge step up from an AA/DST. Preordered as soon as I saw it.

I predict they will make a ton of money off of this. Smart move. All those pent up people that missed the Master Replicas release and seeing the MR Phaser going for $1000 or more on ebay will be all over this. At this price the Cosplay crowd will buy this for all their convention shows. Heck, maybe even the "Star Trek Continues" fan film will buy up a bunch to use in the show.

The freakin' thing is even made to be the same weight as the Greg Jein "hero" phaser. This thing is amazing for $150. It's like Santa Shatner showed up for XMas.

Last edited:
Should be easy enough to modify for accuracy. From the looks of the renders, even unmodified the relative proportions of the p1 + p2 are lightyears ahead of the MR.

Yeah, it was mentioned earlier in the thread that this new Wand Company TOS Phaser shape was laser-scanned off Greg Jein's phaser and IS NOT a mimic of the Master Replicas shape mistakes. Of course they created a clean idealized version with some things straightened out and cleaned up as if it was new.

Bottom line, this is a very accurate and nice TOS Phaser at an unbeatable price! I have an order in for 2…I may buy more. I can see modding this to make a B&W phaser.

Did I mention all the metal parts on the original are also metal parts on this Replica too.

Phaser-meet-Laser-1688x2291px.jpg

Last edited:
So, the only truly inaccurate parts are the missing step on the bottom of the power adjustment knob, the inside of the acrylic emitter tip, and the addition of the clear window up front for the P1's IR beam, right? Everything else would simply fall under idealization?

There has always been a clear window on the P2 body for the P1 from to show through when locked in place, if I understand your point.

Keep in mind this replica uses the same approach as Master Replicas in that they didn't put in the extending emitter when the P1 locks in place, etc. So not every feature is cannon to the original prop or there wouldn't be sounds coming out of this and you wouldn't be able to charge it via USB either (not to mention a gesture based remote that talks to a variety of infrared based TV's, audio equipment and infrared iPod/iPhone/iPad docks).

Yes, it's idealized and made of materials that are affordable, but emulate the original materials. Some parts are nickel plated zinc instead of aluminum. Same effect though. They weighted this to the same weight as the original prop and put in an extra feature to show the dilithium chamber that was always alluded to in the name of the side dial. The handle twist grip is replaced by a more reliable screw and notch setup. The overall detail and effect is very accurate. See the stuff about laser scanning Greg Jein's hero prop on their site.

http://phaser.thewandcompany.com/

They did a nice job in updating the phaser for fun and for charging while keeping the accuracy that matters the most.

All at an insanely affordable price of $150.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back