2-1B Surgical Droid

more progress on my medic, now comes with hose:

t4URCr3.jpg

Wow, this is awesome, one of the best I've seen, good job for everything ! :thumbsup

It's really the same we can see in the black and white picture when Luke has a mechanical hand

I just got my Med Head in the mail today and it's gorgeous! Thanks to Zorg for a great experience all the way. How is everyone cutting the resin mic out? Thanks in advance!

painted mine, cleaned inside edges, drilled, and wired mine today. I found two colors that can be found at O'Reileys or Autozone: Duplicolor Light Blue Metallic and Avondale Blue

These first are with mostly the base... and later pics after wiring for the final color. I think it's pretty close. ^_^

Not pictured is aluminum tape on the alice band, but I think I'm going to copy Dan and do a strip of thin AL stock instead. Also gonna machine the side dots tomorrow... and a dirt/weathering wash.

Then I'll tackle the tube and mic insides.

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

photo%206.JPG

photo%207.JPG

photo%208.JPG

photo%209.JPG

photo%2010.JPG

Also... tomorrow I'll take pics with something other than my phone..

nice one scott, looks maybe a little too dark, how about a misting of silver? (nice scooby btw)

i could not find the shade of paint dan used at my local car place, all they have was a touch up brush thing.

you guys are making real neat jobs at cutting out those mics.

clinton, i used a dremel with a cutting disc for the majority of the mic removal. then a sanding drum attachment for closer in work, the thin areas around the nose was done by hand with sand paper. it needs a steady hand so probably best to go slow with the nose part. keep putting the real mic (if you have one) up to check progress. its easier to take away than add resin ;)

Thanks to Dan for the weathering/wash tips. I may have overdone it a bit and there's definitely some dirty droid action going on. But I like it.

Pics are still a little more blue saturated than real life... Real life looks more silvery....

G20140826-134159.jpg

G20140826-134253.jpg

G20140826-134405.jpg

G20140826-134437.jpg

G20140826-134600.jpg

You can really see where the paint soaked up more of the wash than other spots... Hey it's my first time. ^_^
G20140826-134620.jpg

G20140826-134635.jpg

G20140826-134645.jpg

G20140826-134711.jpg

Very porous... that wash came out more hardcore than I thought. At firs I though it was too light.. ^_^
G20140826-134731.jpg

G20140826-134817.jpg

G20140826-134836.jpg

G20140826-134927.jpg

Couple more questions.
Do I need to prime the head before I paint it?
How are you guys wiring the LEDs?
Scott and Dan, Where did you get your display stands?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I didn't prime it at all... not a lick.

I wired them parallel... resistors on the positive leads. So each positive wire from the leds has a resistor...

So one eye's LEDs (3) positive and negatives are about 2-3" long... Then all three positives are soldered together to one longer lead. Same with negative. Then the two sets of positive leads are joined with the one positive lead from the battery box. Same with negatives. You have two wires running to battery box only. Simple but tedious.

Also these are BRIGHT.

I think Dan's is an Aldi paper towel holder... and My paper towel holder was from Bed Bath Beyond.

I can't find any Aldi in Dallas with the euro paper towel holders, so mine cost $20 after 20% off coupon. I have 3.

Tonight I machined and fitted the side dots. I have them sticking out a little as I see in the movie, but they're adjustable to suit my taste.

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

hahaha... no the PRINT/image was soft... as-in... not sharp or lacking detail. I scanned it in and fixed it for everyone to gander at.

It had some motion blur from the camera too that I corrected.

ha... I thought that's what you meant...

I'm definitely doing one of these kits down the line. Always love the 21B.. even later when parts of him became prosthetics for my war-amp GI JOEs...

Last edited:
Thanks for posting scott, i knew i had not imagined the mic interior.

i did my first one like the shot above, loads of wire curved down the center. it must have been edinburgh that i saw it when it was on display.

whats happening on its right eye, can't really make it out?

-z

Last edited:
Been meaning to post this up but this is a very nice kit guys and very greatful to have the electronics included. They aren't complicated which should help out a lot of builders out there, but very appreciated to not have to go out and get all the components.

Today, I went to the supermarket and I bought a big bottle of water but this was not only to drink.
This was also to create a clear neck to my 2-1 B droid.
Even If this is not the correct shape, It's not that bad.
I have also painted a little bit inside to have a slight weatered effect
Now the droid head is more massive and I prefer it like that.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back