Golden Compass

Indy Magnoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here is my latest creation for a stage play in London. It's based on the "Lia Hona" golden compass of Mormon legend which leads to the new promised land...

golden-compass.jpg

Everything was "off the shelf" from a single second-hand shop, bought for a few bucks. A ton of work went into assembling it and then gold plating the lot. The pointer is free spinning on a very low friction point so it moves a bit as you walk with it.

A fun project in the least...

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Whoa very cool, this is a nice surprise. I've been wanting to make one of these for a while, but it's kind of been on the back burner.

That and... The sword of Laban, urim & thummim, brass plates, glass stones of the Brother of Jared, etc...
Thanks for sharing.

I've already done a few of those too... :D

Urim & Thummim:
specs-completed.jpg

I'll post images of my golden book later.

Kind regards,
Indy

Nice. That turned out really good. Definitely looks to be of "curious workmanship"

Trooper TK409: I liked the missionaries meet vader and 3po pics on your website. Was very surprised and happy to see that. My wife thought they were cool too.

Here's the ancient box from "Mormon Hill":

mattgillbox.jpg

Inside the box is a leather wrapped parcel:

mormon-book1.jpg

Opening the wrap reveals a leather bound book:

mormon-book2.jpg

And inside the book are "golden" sheets:

mormon-book3.jpg

For the record, I don't believe a word of the book of Mormon, but it has some great props. :D

Kind regards,
Indy

I'm still waiting on some more info from the producers. For the compass, I just did some web surfing. Similarly, for the golden tables, I found a page written by Joseph Smith in his "reformed Egyptian". This I used as a basis for the style of text for the rest of the book.

800px-Caractors_large.jpg

Kind regards,
Indy

Very well-done. I'm not a Mormon either, but I can definitely appreciate these for their looks. The compass is my favorite, but the scrying glasses are quite interesting as well.

Where is the writing on the side of the liahonah? :confused
The golden plates measures 6"X6"X8" and were as thin as a leaf.
The Urim and Thumum were specticles (silver bows) that attached to a breastplate and looked though.

Well, the compass was inspired by the Liahona, but never meant to be an exact reproduction. As for the book, price was a factor, so we decided to use thicker leaves to make the book a normal thickness without having to carve out thousands of sheets.

Here are some more shots of the compass:

goldcompass1.jpg

goldcompass2.jpg

goldcompass3.jpg

goldcompass4.jpg

goldcompass5.jpg

Kind regards,
Indy

Not cool gnrlotto. We're talking about replicas of artifacts. No need to ridicule the project. If you're not interested, why post?

I believe the intent was mere play on the word gobbledygook. Most likely referring to the diversity of props on the one subject.

or not... ;)

Ah, the RPF, always a good place for a little drama and excitement. ;)

Great props btw. I especially love props inside of props inside of props. Curious as to how you gold plated the compass?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NEKROFANATIC @ Mar 29 2007, 07:27 AM) [snapback]1450895[/snapback]</div>
Ah, the RPF, always a good place for a little drama and excitement. ;)
[/b]

Right on the button, Nekro. :rolleyes

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back