New 52 Superman Suit Cosplay (Pic Heavy)

Superman0052

Hi, noob here. I've been planning on making Superman's suit from the New 52 comics. Some poeple seem to hate on it, but, though I am an avid Superman enthusiest and obssessionist lol, this is bar far the best adaptation of it in my opinion. Especially in the Superman Unchained run by Jim Lee. But, I digress. I've wanted to build this since the New 52 debuted but just have never had the money, becoming a new parent, nor the time. However, it has given me PLENTY of time to research different cosplay methods since this will be my first attempt at it. I finally have the expenses and time to build this, as well as a New 52 Wonder Woman suit for my wife, which I will start a new thread on as I begin the build, and we plan on attending Dragon*Con here in Atlanta Ga. If the suits come out good enough, we'll probably enter the group costume contest together.

As I said, this is my first attempt at costume building, so any tips or critique is more than welcome!

First off I plan on using a 1mm wetsuit as the base for this build. Alot of poeple use lycra/spandex for these superhero suits, but i just dont like the way the material looks and how thin it it. When I see Superman's suit in the New 52, I just imagine it as being a little bit thicker of a material. It is royal battle armor from Krypton, afterall. I will either pinch the material from the inside and sew an in-seem to create the recessed lines from the different sections of the armor, like Jim Lee's design in Unchained, or use raised piping, as seen in the suits Origin issue.

Last edited:
Re: New 52 Superman Suit

JL#2+New52+005.jpg
Here is a pic I found of the concept art from the new 52

wet suits can be very hot to wear you could always looking for a thicker Lycra Fabric and have a custome Suit made

I've thought about that, maybe matte miliskin? It was suggested to me. I just don't know how much it would cost. Hopefully no more than a wetsuit.

So I've started with the shield. I really like Jim Lee's style
3293863-0308779776-super.jpg

As well as the boldness from the Injustice: God's Among Us game
Injustice-Available-Everywhere.jpg

I sculpted my own, taking aspects from both, out of clay. Then cast it in latex
Screenshot_2014-07-14-14-12-25-1.png
It turned out pretty good, but it shrunk a good bit and now is more Justice League: War-esque. So I ordered some urethane rubber to do the cast in, hoping I won't have add much shrinkage

Thanks, I'm going to cast it again this weekend, this time with smooth-on's brush-on 40 rubber. Hopefully it doesn't shrink as much as the latex did.

I ordered some red super hero boots last weekend from Halloweencostumes.com and got them in today.
20140717_173633.jpg20140717_173633.jpg
My plan is to wrap them with craft foam to get the raised and recessed details, then seal it before painting them the final color of red.

They fit good, I was worried they wouldn't fit my calf because I have big legs, the only problem I have is that they are too loose around the ankle and make my ankles almost non existent. I'm wondering if there is any way i can have them taken in a little bit around the ankle.
20140717_175038.jpg
Sorry, my daughter likes them apparently haha

So have my material ordered for my cape. It's red gabardine. Should have it by the end of the week to start work on it this weekend. Also decided to go the lycra suit route for the base of my costume.
I've been spending any spare time I have working on my boots. I didn't like the way they fit so I started trimming them down
20140718_214302-1.jpg
20140719_220620-1.jpg
20140719_220630-1.jpg
I cinched them up using nylon strapping and Buckles.
20140721_205944-1.jpg
Wrapped them in aluminum foil then duck tape so I could draw out my stencil patterns for the foam details that will be glued on
20140720_170433-1.jpg

Then I decided to give the boots better form by wrapping them up in duck tape and hand sewing the nylon straps on for more permanence getting rid of the Buckles
20140723_215802-1.jpg
20140723_215922-1.jpg
finally, I started attaching the foam to the boot by first heating it up with a hair dryer, since I don't have a heat gun, and forming it around the boot. Then I used some spray adhesive to glue it on. Seems to be holding pretty well, and turning out ok
20140723_224111-1.jpg
20140723_224125-1.jpg

Last edited:
I got my lycra suit in today, and it fits awesome. I'm glad because i was afraid it wouldn't. I also received my red gabardine for my cape. So, plans for this weekend, get my body cast done for my dress form. Get the suit on it and outlined. Draft out my cape. Hem the edges and have my symbol screen printed on the back of it later this week. I'm gonna take the rest of tonight and tomorrow finishing my boots and casting my symbol in urethane.

And it will fall apart the moment you put it on. I had a friend buy one last Halloween and it was coming at the scenes hours after he wore it.

I actually wore it around for a couple hours today just to make sure that wouldn't happen. So far so good, but I definitely don't plan on sitting down in it

Yeah, I've thought about that, but I wanted it to be a one piece suit. And I didn't want to go through the trouble of having to sew them together because stretchy material is such a pain to sew.

Anyways, made lots of progress on my boots. All I have to do now is wrap the other one in foam, seal them both and onwards to painting them!
20140725_220146.jpg
20140728_203336.jpg
20140728_211043.jpg
20140728_211140.jpg
20140728_211230.jpg
20140728_211512.jpg
20140728_211538.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back