Mad Max: Fury Road Costume Thread

comicguy

Sr Member
Been a long time Mad Max fan and with the new film coming out next year and with the Comic Con footage only a 2 weeks away, I figure I'd start a thread where we can discuss and identify costume pieces from Max as time comes along. I'll start with a few pictures that have been released so far...

comment_J26VNC5IwiaePuuOlrusXFwjmBtoXBAS_zpsccb12128.jpg

mad-max-fury-road-tom-hardy2_zps92a03850.jpg

As you can see, Tom Hardy is wearing basically the same jacket and pants as worn in Mad Max 2 and Beyond Thunderdome, more specifically the Thunderdome version as it has the same stitching simulating repair that has been done to the jacket and pants over time. From what I read doing research, is for the film, production used one of the original jackets from the last movie, borrowed from a collector and basically matched it stitch for stitch. Even though this was done for consistency for the franchise, the jacket and pants match the appearance for the events taking place in Beyond Thunderdome. Supposedly, Fury Road takes place between the first two films where the damage and repair stitching detail on the jacket and pants hasn't been done yet to this extent, so that's a mistake on the productions part.

Anyway, to continue, Max's costume for this film has a few new pieces, he's wearing some kind of long sleeve thermal shirt, a backpack with some type of shoulder rig that has some magazines and other misc items. He's also wearing a different type of leg holster from the other films, looks to be a more modern nylon version.

One item that he's wearing that was pretty easy to identify as a found item is his paracord survival bracelet.

madmaxparacord_zpsfc40a9a2.jpg

tumblr_mosaudj5zX1qe5f96o1_r1_500_zps15633c0e.jpg

tumblr_muqoaeOxXT1qde7iyo1_500A_zps62642309.png

What's pretty cool about this piece is Tom wears this in his everyday life off the set and in the real world. He's been wearing it for years and if you browse photos of him on the net you can see him wearing it. Here's a few...

Tom-Hardy_zpsfc52aca4.jpg

Tom-Hardy-by-Greg-Williams-011_zps4e0bff0f.jpg

tom-hardy-elton-john-rocketman_zpsfcd37a84.jpg

Now, studying the released movie photos and the ones off set, I came to the conclusion that the color of the paracord bracelet is "foliage green" and is the 550 type paracord. Also, the style of paracord bracelet he wears is the adjustable type. If you're familiar with paracord bracelets most people make and sell them with buckles to close them or with knots and are not adjustable. The one Tom wears slips over your hand and you pull the cord to adjust. I figured out how to make my own and looking at his pictures closely, I matched the same style he wears on and off screen. Here's the one I made..

DSC03266_zps56ba8888.jpg

DSC03264_zps7401ca2e.jpg

DSC03268_zps6d23282c.jpg

DSC03267_zpsb2315843.jpg

Update: You can get these now from me at my etsy store at http://www.etsy.com/shop/ORRIOLS which are 100% accurate now. You can find updated photos here http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=233109

That's all I've pretty much identified for now.

Please be sure to discuss and help identify new pieces as more photos and footage becomes available.

Last edited:
Re: Mad Max: Fury Road Costumes Thread

Good start comicguy! Just to add to one of your points though is that FURY ROAD is not set between any of the previous films and is more of a "stand alone" entry, "reboot" or if you really want it to be (and ignore some of the canon changes) consider it a quasi-sequel but really the director George Miller just updated and brought Max up to date by 30 years.

So yes the the jacket and pants are Beyond Thunderdome as you pointed out. Also worth noting that while the knee brace is a new construction, the left boot it's attached too is a replica of the boot worn by Mel Gibson in Mad Max 2/Road Warrior. These were obviously originally Australian Rossiter Rossi motorcycle boots produced in the 1970s.
IMG_1115.jpg
A collector loaned the pair of boots to a London based costume and shoe department to replicate them and in the stills released we see Tom Hardy wearing the original left boot and a new, military style?, laced boot on the right foot.
tumblr_n8at75mRCb1qde7iyo3_1280.jpg

So far the biggest obstacle for Max is the pack. It looks like a form of a ALICE or Molle pack thats been modified heavily to include all the ammo and gadget pouches. Looks like a Schrader knife but it's hard to tell.

Hopefully when footage debuts we can make out more details in the costumes! I remember when Warner Bros. touted around the Man of Steel costumes for Comic con and other events, I wonder if they'd do the same for FURY ROAD?

Thanks, man. Everything I've been reading since they started filming was that this movie is a prequel/ sequel. The term reboot just seems to keep getting thrown out there. If it all takes place in the same universe I guess it doesn't matter either way as long as Miller is the one making it. Would be cool if we got a surprise cameo from Mel though.

I'm almost positive you nailed the knife. Here's two I compared to the Entertainment magazine cover.

MmKnife_zps887a0d70.png

We just have to figure out the exact model.
I think it might be this one as the pattern of the sheath seems to match. Just might be in a different color.
1.0x0.jpg

Not the best angle or quality but the details seem to match minus the fraying.
Tom-Hardysheath_zpsc8f18843.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

New Hi Res photo showing some details of Max's costume and gear. (Right Click, View image to see in full res)
mad-max-fury-road-tom-hardy-3.jpg

Some good close ups in the new trailer for those who haven't seen.

Here's a few screen shots I've taken.
Untitled-1_zps48e913a9.jpg

2_zps4d5fe499.jpg

3_zps93f45b27.jpg

4_zps3b2c4b28.jpg~original

5_zpsd5c4c503.jpg

6_zpseb9a4a6f.jpg

Really would like to try and ID the backpack. The gun he's holding in the 4th pic is a Glock, could be a Glock 17 or 19 maybe. Still pretty sure the knife attached to his shoulder strap is a Schrade, but without seeing the blade its hard to know what model.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not a Schrade. The one Max carries has three indents; the Schrade has six. According to a blade forum it may be a Chris Reeve Pacific.
Great scans by the way!

Not a Schrade. The one Max carries has three indents; the Schrade has six. According to a blade forum it may be a Chris Reeve Pacific.
Great scans by the way!

Thanks for the info! I'm pretty sure that you're correct. I was having a hard time trying to find a Schrade with the indents one the side of the handle, It only has them in the center. This shot shows the indents on the side of the handle, which the Schrade doesn't have, or at least I couldn't find with them.
6_zpseb9a4a6fjpgoriginal_zpsbbd27a39.png

The Chris Reeve has it, so I think we have a winner here.
CRKPAC_zpsb4d02579.png

One hell of an expensive blade by the way. Over $300, ouch!

Last edited:

Few things I've noticed since we got some clearer shots in the trailer. The rolled up clear tube Max carried on his shoulder seen here.
6_zps7310673d.png

You can see the tube rolled down to his back at the beginning of the trailer here
2_zps1d9e0e60.png~original

This leads to the square yellow piece hanging on his backpack here
Untitled-1_zps43b7e2e6.png~original

This leads me to believe that the yellow squared piece is a hydration bladder and that could be what the clear tube is for. Similar to one of these
water_bladder_water_bag_hydration_bag.jpg

I could be wrong since that's the only shot we have on his back and not very close up. Not sure what else it would be at this point though.

I also noticed he's wearing the same boots on both feet at the beginning of the trailer. The same style boots from Mad Max 2 that DGSimo posted. You can see them in the same picture above. He's also wearing both of the same boots in this photo.
A875vcSCcAApusQ_zps30adea08.jpg

In this promo photo he has a different boot on one leg

tumblr_n8at75mRCb1qde7iyo3_1280_zps967f46dc.png~original

Not sure at what point in the film it happens but it appears he loses a boot and replaces with the one above. Another item I'm hoping we could ID soon, but it also gives costumers options if they want to wear both the same boots or one with the modern style.

One last thing I took notice was the shoulder plate he wears on the jacket is not the exact same one from previous films. Most likely a modern one. Not the best but here's a comparison.
ShoulderPlate_zpsa2a99463.png~original

I know the old ones they used were Rawlings football shoulder pads, so these might be from the same brand but on a modern model, just not sure which one.

UPDATE: Looks like the new shoulder plate does have the second strap after all. The angle of the picture taken above seems to be covering it.
MMFRPlatedetail_zps37726ed2.png

I'm wondering now if the plate is indeed the same one from the older films but wrapped in leather and a bit of padding on the side to make it look rounder on the edges. The texture certainly does look like leather in certain pictures.

Anyway, that's all for now. Please feel free to chime in with any thoughts or info you might have.

Last edited:

Good work Comicguy! I too assumed it was some sort of camel pack with extended tubing.

A couple more things about the picture of Max with his back to us... In other pics it appears max is wearing some sort of communicator ear piece in his right ear. In the "back" pic it almost looks like he has a Walkman headset or something going around his neck. you can also hear radio noise and speaking in the beginning of the trailer and Max appears to be working with something in his hands as he sways back and forth slightly. tuning in a radio for his headset?

One last thing. in that same "back" pic you posted in close-up, it almost looks like he is wearing a full tactical vest and not just a harness. Look at his back in the close-up underneath the webbing straps. i don't think that is the leather jacket back we are seeing.

just my .02 :)

Good work Comicguy! I too assumed it was some sort of camel pack with extended tubing.

A couple more things about the picture of Max with his back to us... In other pics it appears max is wearing some sort of communicator ear piece in his right ear. In the "back" pic it almost looks like he has a Walkman headset or something going around his neck. you can also hear radio noise and speaking in the beginning of the trailer and Max appears to be working with something in his hands as he sways back and forth slightly. tuning in a radio for his headset?

One last thing. in that same "back" pic you posted in close-up, it almost looks like he is wearing a full tactical vest and not just a harness. Look at his back in the close-up underneath the webbing straps. i don't think that is the leather jacket back we are seeing.

just my .02 :)

Thanks.

Yeah, I think he may have part of a headset in one of his ear while trying to listen to the radio he's tuning. I also agree that it looks like he's wearing some type of vest. It could be the backpack itself though as it doesn't look to be a big pack from other pictures, or it could be where he attaches the pack to. It looks to almost wrap around his waist slightly which would explain how the little side pouch would be attached here
5_zpsd5c4c503.jpg~original

I think we may be looking at something similar to this. If you look at the close-ups of his knife you can see the plastic buckles of the chest straps of the vest.
I definitely think it is some sort of MOLLE fighting rig. This would allow for a backpack or hydration pack to be attached as needed.

$_57.JPG$_58.JPG

Could very well be something like that. The last picture I post with the pouch, next to that you can see what looks like another magazine attached next to it. Above and to the side of that you can almost make out the webbing on the extra space. It's also not as dirty as the jacket so it could be part of the vest.
5A_zps53b5f9de.png~original

Good call. I think you're right. I wish i had the ability to mark pics but those horizontal squares where his backpack meets his back may be the straps holding the backpack on. it looks like he may have numerous make-shift nylon elastic straps attaching the mag pouch on his right shoulder and the hydration tube on his left.

Mad Max with a Glock? Ugh. Vile.
Don't hate on the Glock, man. It's a reliable smooth shooting gun. Never had a jam on my Glock 19 =)
No, but seriously, he probably just picked it up in the car and started shooting. The magazine cover on the first post you will see he still has his short shotty. Besides, look at all those mags he's carrying. Non of them are Glock mags.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back