Mad Max: Fury Road Costume Thread

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road Costumes Thread

Boot mashing the accelerator in the trailer looks to be a Matterhorn 1949 Combat boot... Going off the indent between the 4th and 5th eyelet, the shape of the sole, and the stitching pattern.
View attachment 359881
View attachment 359882

They may be Furiosa's boots, not really sure. Those boots do look like it though. The slight difference I see is the middle tread. The screen shot looks like it doesn't have tread there but the Matterhorn does.
Boot compare.jpg

Maybe they wore it down for the film? I did manage to find a similar boot online. This one looks to have less or no middle tread like the screen shot
IMG_7113.jpg

IMG_7112.jpg

The site where I found these the guy stated this " Portuguese army simpatex boots,look like matterhorn, manufactured in portugal under license". I'm no boot expert so I'm not sure if they are a different boot or if he's trying to say they might be Matterhorn but wasn't sure. Just making an observation on the mid tread.

Great info on the boots!

View attachment 359941View attachment 359942
On the left is a MTB tube flipped Inside-out (tough task by the way...)
Cool. Have you tried sliding it over some type of nylon strap to see how it looks? I don't know if it's the picture but the seam looks really faint there. Maybe they used a tube that had them seam on the outside already like the picture I posted before?

CG:
I´ll try tomorrow to slide over a leg strap from my Royce Omega Holster.
I reversed the tube because I think to see a "recessed" seam on the movie picture, and the tubes I own have "raised seams".

By the way, the small pouch on the left of the leg panel seems to be the gun holster pouch with the flap removed (It seems they removed a couple of pouch flaps from the S. Africa gear)
max4a_zps2b1bfa3b.png~original_a.png

Last edited:

I´ll try tomorrow to slide over a leg strap from my Royce Omega Holster.
I reversed the tube because I think to see a "recessed" seam on the movie picture, and the tubes seem to have "raised seams".

Hmmm...it does look recessed now that I look at it. I think you may be right.

Adjusted exposure of the screen shot - definitely has that angled transition from the sole to the heel - and there seems to be some tread left - although you raise a really good point: Matterhorn (or Corcoran - both are registered brands of Cove Shoes) 10" boots are pretty popular - but they certainly could have licensed out, acquired, or copied the basic design to/from another company or country...
mmbootadjust.jpg

If it does belong to Charlize, I hope that old codger she's shacked up with, Smirky von Snooty Puss, trips over it and breaks his enormous head open...

sourpuss2.jpg

Last edited:

It seems that at some point Max drives the truck, an in the below crop you can see him sporting footwear with laces.
Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Exclusive-01__scaled_600a_a.jpg

It seems that at some point Max drives the truck, an in the below crop you can see him sporting footwear with laces.
View attachment 360401
He's a pic where you can see him inside. Not sure where's the driver side in that truck though, but I'm sure he drives it at some point.
mgid-uma-image-mtv.com-9454688.jpg

Also here's a screen shot of another boot at the pedal. I think this one is most likely what Charlize's character wears.
Boot.jpg
Here's the picture with the boot Max wear's a little blown up.
Bootpic.jpg

From this picture you could see the seams on the side were the sole meets the boot and the upper where the side of the boot meets the seam by the laces. It doesn't look like it has the other seams on the side like the picture of the boot on the pedal. It could just be the low res photo not picking up the detail. When this photo first got released I thought it was some type of modern desert combat boot.

Last edited:

When I first saw the boot I thought Danner Recon but different leather pattern. The Matterhorn looks pretty close even has the notch in leather above the fourth lacing eyelet, a used pair would have the tread worn like in the screen shot.

Where were you guys picking up your SADF 83 Vests? I saw a couple sites with varying pricing? PM me please.

Great info already guys!!!
i am hoping to see more pics of the steal face corset mask max wears in the trailer.
i think the front is made out of a garden shuffle.
the shirt he wears reminds me of the matrix.

could it be a hemp shirt?

MOD EDIT: Please do not post Ebay links, thanks.

for the vest how about these airsoft versions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Airsoft versions are mostly accurate, but all I've seen are a solid color, instead of the Nutria brown on black that the real deal has, with other small differences. For a screen-accurate, no, but they might work as a cheaper stand-in.

_A

I finally got to cleaning the battle jacket I recently acquired. As I already mentioned, it came with a nasty bug spray smell which was REALLY stinky. I had to experiment a little to get rid of it but I finally did. I also got rid of the marker ink I had on mine.

Here's how the back looked when I got mine.
_12_zpsc67ad0a5.jpg~original

If anyone else gets one of these and it has the bug spray smell and marker writings, here's what I did.

To get rid of the ink I used hair spray for the most part. You spray right on the ink and with a clean rag or cloth, you dab over the ink to absorb it. The alcohol in the hair spray breaks down the ink and the stickiness of the spray prevents it from spreading. You keep doing this over and over until you can't pick up any more ink. You might be left with faded markings. If you don't have hair spray you could also use just alcohol or acetone and dab over with a rag the same way. Just make sure when you're done you rinse with cold water to get it out. You might not be able to get everything but try to get out as much ink as you can. Then before washing I used "Shout Advanced Ultra Concentrated Gel Stain Remover". It comes with a scrubber, so I put the gel over the stains and scrubbed away to loosen the ink some more and kept doing it for about 5 minutes to let the gel penetrate. You then wash with cold water with your normal detergent and let it air dry. After the first wash the stains were gone but the smell was still there except for the spots I put the Shout stain remover, it smelled nice and citrusy in those areas. I then decided to just scrub all the fabric throughout the jacket this time with the stain remover since it had a strong citrus smell to it. I let it sit for 5 minutes before putting it back in the wash. This time I also added 1 cup of distilled white vinegar along with detergent to help neutralize the smell and when it came out the wash, the smell was gone!

Here's how it looks with the stains removed and cleaned up.
DSC03435_zps6aec0373.jpg

DSC03434_zpscf449908.jpg

DSC03433_zps1ea4f2df.jpg

And a few pictures wearing it with one of my classic moto jackets so you guys can get a better idea of the look.
DSC03429_zps67de81fa.jpg

DSC03426_zps2a0e151b.jpg

DSC03424_zpse0fdeff9.jpg

DSC03423_zpsb8621edc.jpg

Whenever more pictures are released and I get a better idea exactly how and what was altered for the movie then I'll start altering it to replicate what's on screen.

Last edited:

Hi all, new member here. Been a HUGE MM fan for over 30 years (I saw MM2 in the theater in 82 when I was 10 - talked my dad into taking me). Anyway, this is a great forum and thanks to all who post such great detailed pics and foster such lively debates. Been a longtime lurker but I wanted to jump into the discussions. I am similarly planning to devise a FR costume in time for con and event season next year. You guys will all be a great resource, and I will by happy to share anything I find in my quest as well.

ComicsGuy. DGSimo and Max Replica - you guys rock!

So a few observations / questions.

1) has anyone noticed that Max's new brace in Fury Road seems to only cover the knee this time? As opposed to the MM2 version Mel wore that had the additional braces on either side of the calf running all the way to the ankle. the new one seems to only go from mid-thigh to mid-calf

View attachment 361362 View attachment 361363

You can clearly see in the FR pic on the left that there are is no metal running down the side of the Rossi boots. From other pics I have seen. it also looks like the new FR version doesnt have the knee cap pad that Mel's had in MM2.

2) OK, this may not be able to be answered but regarding the mythic shoulder pad.... We all know the Crusader ones are about impossible to find. Does anyone know if any other models will work or can be substituted (I'm not going for 100% screen accuracy, but something that simply looks close enough). As many of you may know, the style used in MM2 and FR (Crusader??) is considered vintage now. I think the one in FR only has a visible strap (on the rear end) which makes me wonder how it's actually attached? Maybe it has two - what could be the lower strap on the magnification Comics-Guy posted could also be just a shed of molle adjustment strap on the assault vest.

So for those of you who may have seen the early screenings, I am not sure if this is giving any spoilers away, but does anyone have any idea or thoughts on the mounting hardware under the pad? My suspicion is that its pretty minimal in the new costume. Mel's in MM2 was rather crafty looking and from the back it really looked bad. From the FR pics so far it looks like the shoulder straps on the M83 vest sit pretty snugly and even with the right shoulder - leading me to think that the new pad could be attached with minimal under hardware and look more by itself, as opposed to Mel's rig. Anyone have any thoughts? Is there an under-strap under the armpit in this one? (God I hope not).

Someone mentioned a variety of gear changes Max goes thru in the relatively short time span of the film. The tan backpack on his M83 does look to be

The key to a good costume for FR will be to weather the hell out of it. Maybe even dye and then distressed and flecked with darker paint? I have an idea for a FR jacket based not on leather but on heavy cotton in the style of a Dickies work/gas station/mechanics jacket. The material will be much easier to dye, stitch and distress too look like Hardy's than leather will. Also, for anyone that has done a summer con or an event like Wasteland Weekend in leather, it SUCKS.

Sorry, my thought on the backpack was cut off - Someone mentioned a variety of gear changes Max goes thru in the relatively short time span of the film. The tan backpack on his M83 does look to be different sizes. From the stock camel pack version on the pic with the "spear gun/musket" to the more square style I have seen in another pic. I'm wondering just how many different Molle tactical vests he goes thru??!!

I think the pad is attached the same way as in the earlier films. There's an advanced tutorial on the Mad Max costumes website on the shoulder pad where you make your own pad from foam and fabric and they make a cast replica plate that is probably the best way to make a Max shoulder pad now.

Yes it appears the pad is attached the same way though we've yet to see a front pic of the pad without the battle vest blocking it. However in this pic you can see Nux wearing Maxy's pad and it seems to be attached the same way, with rivets and underarm strap. The underneath pad does appear to be more rounded than the previous films.

Max & Nux.png

Something else I've noticed. Obviously, the costume department has to have numerous copies of the hero costume for stunts and stand-ins. It appears that some of the jackets have shoulder seam repair stitching and some do not.
In these pics the shoulder stitching is present.
mad max20131201-132644.jpgMax CU.jpgMax BTS.png

In these, there is no stitching.
Max STG.jpgMax & Fury.jpg

Last edited:

I noticed Max's shirt is a brown or tan waffle weave long under wear type shirt. A hems around neck wrists and waist cut off. It is loose fitting and probably a higher quality thicker fabric like the ones sold for fashion as opposed to $6 winter thermal type that usually are thin and fit tight.

comicguy, looking great! It's not hard to imagine a replica FR jacket and that pack for an awesome look before making it screen accurate! Kudos to cleaning it up too and thanks for the pointers!!

Just wanted to add some resources for you guys but first about the boot. Here's a Hi-Res still of the explosion shot you can see a little more detail...
mad-max-fury-road_33e684.jpg

Also not really relevant to Max but in this shot of the trailer you can see both of Furiosa's boots and a bit of the work for Max's shoulder pad:
boot.jpg

I should mention that I'm a member of the madmaxmovies.com board and I told the folks there of the great job everyone here is doing in identifying and locating the various items and gear to replicate FR and some of the members there told me to speak about or contact "Karol" and "Jared" on the MMM board. Unknown to me I asked who they were and Karol was said to be a costume expert and who also was producing replicated Rawlings shoulder pad plates runs madmaxcostumes.com and Jared is actually Max Replica! LOL

comicguy, looking great! It's not hard to imagine a replica FR jacket and that pack for an awesome look before making it screen accurate! Kudos to cleaning it up too and thanks for the pointers!!

Just wanted to add some resources for you guys but first about the boot. Here's a Hi-Res still of the explosion shot you can see a little more detail...
View attachment 362161

Also not really relevant to Max but in this shot of the trailer you can see both of Furiosa's boots and a bit of the work for Max's shoulder pad:
View attachment 362162

I should mention that I'm a member of the madmaxmovies.com board and I told the folks there of the great job everyone here is doing in identifying and locating the various items and gear to replicate FR and some of the members there told me to speak about or contact "Karol" and "Jared" on the MMM board. Unknown to me I asked who they were and Karol was said to be a costume expert and who also was producing replicated Rawlings shoulder pad plates runs madmaxcostumes.com and Jared is actually Max Replica! LOL

Thanks, man. With the high res photo you posted of Max on the Benz, now it's clear thats not the same boot that was on the pedal screenshot. The sole goes over a bit on the toe box too. It also looks like there is a small logo there. Maybe someone might be able to recognize it. I'm also loving the look of Furiosa's boots. Thanks for sharing those clear shots.

Im a long time lurker, thought I would chime in finally. I'm a huge Mad Max fan and I'm loving this thread! I've been kicking around the idea of making a Max costume for a long time so I figured with this thread having some traction its a better time than any. So I started with the M83 rig like a couple others here have. I was having a hard time finding it and when I did find one, the sellers were busting heads on them. So I did a archive search on a firearms forum Ive been using for a number of years, and I found a guy that tried to sell one unsuccessfully a few months ago. I messaged him and he ended up trading me the one he had for a rifle sling and a couple spare glock mags I had, pretty darn good deal. So anyway I figured I would post some pics. I temporally added a couple items for an idea of what it will be like after modding it. I added a pistol mag pouch, some AR15 mags (they appear to be AK mags in the movie), knife, and some rubber aquarium air hose, tossed it on my wife and snapped a couple pics.
20140812_211438.jpg20140812_211516.jpg20140812_211545.jpg20140812_211603.jpg

Keep up the good work identifying this stuff.

Attachments

• 20140812_211603.jpg
    20140812_211603.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 519
  • 20140812_211545.jpg
    20140812_211545.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 478

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back