Mad Max: Fury Road Costume Thread

Those 5.11 pouches are still really hard to find, I'm not having any luck on ebay or amazon or google. I see Condor single pistol mag pouches, but we've confirmed those won't be accurate, yeah?

Noticed this from the artbook scans, didn't see any posts mention it. Looks like the other side of the seatbelt buckle that we've seen a few pics of hanging from the back:
View attachment 512927
From the placement of both and the fact that it's been noticed on Grizzly Max, it almost seems like these buckles hang from his shoulder pad, but they aren't really visible anywhere in the movie like when Nux is wearing the jacket, which gives lots of good views of the jacket. Maybe it was removed from wherever it was attached to by the time they started filming?

I think the buckle may have been removed for whatever reason it was there in the first place. Notice in the same picture Max is also wearing the ear piece which is also gone in the movie.

The 5.11 pistol mag pouches are the accurate ones. They are also long discontinued which is why they are rare now and hard to find. I got lucky and found a vendor who had left over stock, which are all gone now. Every other site that did show them online were all outdated and out of stock when I contacted them. The closest substitute is the condor pouches though.

Comicguy, since you sell the most accurate jackets on the market, do you have any tips on attaching the shoulder pad accurately?
Like I mentioned before, madmaxcostumes says to use three rivets, but it has no pictures and says that method is untested, so I'd like to hear more about that

Comicguy, since you sell the most accurate jackets on the market, do you have any tips on attaching the shoulder pad accurately?
Like I mentioned before, madmaxcostumes says to use three rivets, but it has no pictures and says that method is untested, so I'd like to hear more about that

I personally haven't attached any padding to my jacket but when I do I plan on using the rivet method. It should be pretty straight forward. Just make small holes in the jacket where you'll be placing the rivets add washers for support then rivet together. I'm sure someone will get to do it before me but when I do I'll post some pictures up.

I'm a bit too swamped but it's something I'd love to add to the site. There's a diagram with rivet placement here. You can basically attach all of the rear rivets to the jacket, but from what I have seen, only the rivet closest to the armpit on the front is actually attached to the jacket. The rest are apparently cosmetic. You can also see an 11th rivet hidden under the plate - closer to the wearer's face on the pad (at least in Fury Road).
Most people make the mistake of putting the front of the pad to the outside of the zipper, but from what I've seen, I believe the pad is actually centered right over the zipper, right in between the 4 rivets. That's why Max only riveted that one rivet to the jacket - so he could still zip up the jacket if needed.
And of course, with all that said, at least one rivet on either side needs to hold the underarm strap to the pad.

Hi Stefano!
"Condor" is the brand name
This is the model you need (black and coyote tan)
View attachment 512799

you need 2 "5.11"s pouches; 1 tan, 1 black. ("5.11" is the brand)

View attachment 512800

You need a "Condor" Drop leg panel black

View attachment 512801

you will need a "Condor" coyote Tan single flashbang poch for the leg panel

View attachment 512802

You need a black Beretta or Glock Ambidiextrous holster from "Condor"

View attachment 512804

Hope this helps

Dunde! You're the man! Thank you very much!
And If you would not mind do it for the mags also I would really appreciate! I may send you a "pata negra" next Christmas! X)
I'm not an expert of weaponry and in my country are not very popular, there are not many stores so I guess I'll have to take everything on the web, do you know any site that sells the mags I need? and maybe replica bullets? I saw the link for the granadelauncher ammo before, that was perfect I think

grazie mille Blackrazor!
Unfortunately as I was gathering the pieces for the costume, goverment forbad importing from foreign, so the leg panel assembly is all I have.
I bought my pouch, leg panel and holster from Amazon.
Fabian has very clear knowledge of the mags.

5.11 just opened a retail store in Las Vegas last week. Might be worth calling them to see if they have any of the old pouches.

Your best bet for the 5.11 pouches is going to be ebay at this point. Like fabian I emailed 5.11 and every site posted from a Google search that claimed they had it and none of them did. I did manage to find one flat dark earth but I believe they said I got the last one. Just when I was about to give up and get the condor pouch, a black 5.11 popped up on ebay. Talk about luck. I snagged that thing up like it was nothing. Keep an eye on ebay would be my advice.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for answering my questions about the shoulder pad, I now know exactly how I want to approach it on my jacket.

Now does anyone have any input on the lining for the leather trousers?
I'm probably going to go with South Beach Leather's pants, but should I go with the lambskin lining or satin?
Or no lining at all? I actually suspect that the trousers worn by hardy have no lining, judging by how they pull and stretch when he's crouched or running in the movie

If you do a search, you'll find my review of the South Beach pants. I went with the satin – actually, I don't think I had a choice – and they're lined to about the knee. I suppose if you don't like the lining, you can always take it out. But it feels nice.

So I see a lot of people are asking about attaching the shoulder pad to the jacket, and I managed to get mine on and have it pretty damn sturdy as well. I made a crappy sketch which I hope explains things.
photo.JPG

I thinks its pretty much straight forward and like comicguy said rivets and washers, holes in the jacket. The only difference between mine and madmaxcostumes is I used 4 rivets instead of three and added stitching along the seam at the very top to make sure it stayed in place a little better. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Stefano!
you will need a "Condor" coyote Tan single flashbang poch for the leg panel

View attachment 512802

A heads-up for people looking for these: unfortunately Condor seems to have changed their single flashbang pouch design. I've ordered from two different vendors who both used photos of the screen accurate model, and instead received this:
vsdjQ8c.jpg
The elastic around the pouch is higher and it has a single MOLLE strap on the back, where I believe the older SA style may have 2. Too bad the film was in production for so long, it makes it hard to track down the discontinued parts.

If you do a search, you'll find my review of the South Beach pants. I went with the satin – actually, I don't think I had a choice – and they're lined to about the knee. I suppose if you don't like the lining, you can always take it out. But it feels nice.
You're literally the only person whose ever mentioned the lining, so I was hoping others would chime in. Still, if you're willing, here's some questions about it.
How does the lining hold up? Is it durable, or does the polyester satin wear out quickly?
You also said you've had several pairs of the South Beach pants, so how durable would you say they are in general? Do they last a long time or have you had issues with the stitching and craftsmanship?
Also, on any of the pairs have you ever paid more for the lambskin lining? If yes would you recommend it or is it only for cold climates?
I'm looking to buy a pair as everyday, actual wear pants, not just for cosplay, so I'm really trying to gauge if South Beach Leather is the way to go BEFORE I purchase

You're literally the only person whose ever mentioned the lining, so I was hoping others would chime in. Still, if you're willing, here's some questions about it.
How does the lining hold up? Is it durable, or does the polyester satin wear out quickly?
You also said you've had several pairs of the South Beach pants, so how durable would you say they are in general? Do they last a long time or have you had issues with the stitching and craftsmanship?
Also, on any of the pairs have you ever paid more for the lambskin lining? If yes would you recommend it or is it only for cold climates?
I'm looking to buy a pair as everyday, actual wear pants, not just for cosplay, so I'm really trying to gauge if South Beach Leather is the way to go BEFORE I purchase

Not sure where I said I've had more than one pair, but I've only had the one since 2009. They're light and supple but very durable. I've worn them two or three times a year since I got them and they still look brand new. No damage whatsoever. I even cut off the bottom few inches of the legs (for length, but I used the excess to have better/wider belt loops made) and they're not fraying at all. The lining is nice to have because it helps the pants slide on and off. (Did you ever see the episode of "Friends" where Ross buys leather pants?) I've never had the lambskin lining so I can't comment. (I'm in Southern California so I wouldn't even consider it.) Overall, even for just "costume" pants, these were totally worth the price, but I think they'd hold up well for daily use. That is, if they haven't changed in the intervening six years.

A heads-up for people looking for these: unfortunately Condor seems to have changed their single flashbang pouch design. I've ordered from two different vendors who both used photos of the screen accurate model, and instead received this:
View attachment 514018
The elastic around the pouch is higher and it has a single MOLLE strap on the back, where I believe the older SA style may have 2. Too bad the film was in production for so long, it makes it hard to track down the discontinued parts.
Can we get a confirmation on these being changed? Do the older ones have two molle straps?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back