Mad Max: Fury Road Costume Thread

So I finally got my knife for my battle vest last night, been really antsy not working on it the past few days. Anyways just wanted to share with you guys.
So I went with the Schrade extreme survival blade instead of the Chris reeve, mostly to save on costs, about a $250 difference.
My personal review; The schrade is a great knife over all but it is about 0.4 inches longer which does make a difference in length when you attach to the vest, and the plastic sheath is in backwards which is a very easy fix. Over all great product if you don't have the cash to spare for the reeve.

As for the process; first I unscrewed the bolt holding the plastic sheath in place with the holder.
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG
After that I had cut off strings and pieces that are not located on max's knife.
photo 4.JPGphoto 5.JPGphoto 1 (1).JPGphoto 2 (1).JPG
Now for the weathering process, really all I did was the same process for all fabrics I used for this build. Rubbing the hell out of it on gritty concrete will give it that beat up look, then I proceeded to use rustoleum spray paints to give it some waist-land color.
photo 3 (1).JPGphoto 4 (1).JPGphoto 5 (1).JPG
Last but not least I took some of the extra string weaved it through the bottom holes of the holder as well as the belt loop so its not visible. Inserted the plastic sheath back in the holder the correct way, didn't need the old bolt holding it down cause the zip tie would be going through that hole, and proceeded to attach to the vest.

photo 1 (2).JPGphoto 2 (2).JPG
I'm pretty satisfied even if it hangs a little lower than the reeve knife.

thanks so much, we started recreating scenes, and i realised that a lot of the ground interaction was before Max had the battle rig, and luckily this guy Dan had made the mask, he's got some great posed pics, i'm definitely going to make one myself for the next con in october, i definitely recommend going for the whole costume tho, i loved wearing it all, felt totally bad-ass :D

Well, considering my battle vest shipped yesterday... ;)

It'll be tight to weather it before Dragon Con, since it's not coming very quickly, but I think I can manage. The things we do for cosplay, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Wow that jacket is looking great, Excellent job!!! can't wait to see your Mad Maxine!

Thanks! I'm not sure why there's one area on the lapel that missed weathering, but other than that, it's pretty much done. I'm happy with it overall.

I'll be sure to post pics when it's all said and done. I used braided cord, like for necklaces, for the stitching, by the way. Worked fine with just a canvas repair needle, thus saving my hands some work with an awl. Hooray! :)

- - - Updated - - -

So I finally got my knife for my battle vest last night, been really antsy not working on it the past few days. Anyways just wanted to share with you guys.
So I went with the Schrade extreme survival blade instead of the Chris reeve, mostly to save on costs, about a $250 difference.
My personal review; The schrade is a great knife over all but it is about 0.4 inches longer which does make a difference in length when you attach to the vest, and the plastic sheath is in backwards which is a very easy fix. Over all great product if you don't have the cash to spare for the reeve.

As for the process; first I unscrewed the bolt holding the plastic sheath in place with the holder.
View attachment 504188View attachment 504189View attachment 504190
After that I had cut off strings and pieces that are not located on max's knife.
View attachment 504191View attachment 504192View attachment 504193View attachment 504194
Now for the weathering process, really all I did was the same process for all fabrics I used for this build. Rubbing the hell out of it on gritty concrete will give it that beat up look, then I proceeded to use rustoleum spray paints to give it some waist-land color.
View attachment 504200View attachment 504201View attachment 504202
Last but not least I took some of the extra string weaved it through the bottom holes of the holder as well as the belt loop so its not visible. Inserted the plastic sheath back in the holder the correct way, didn't need the old bolt holding it down cause the zip tie would be going through that hole, and proceeded to attach to the vest.

View attachment 504203View attachment 504204
I'm pretty satisfied even if it hangs a little lower than the reeve knife.

Nice! I'm going to be repurposing a general plastic knife from another cosplay for mine, because consafe, but I have a Buck hunting knife that might do well, too.

- - - Updated - - -

My "Mad Max Fury Road-Warrior" :D

View attachment 503928

Looking good. I'm still a bit stressed about making my brace, but it'll happen. :)

jackwabbit I was contemplating that in my sleep last night lol (how do I make this consafe?....). I actually noticed the handle is held to the steel by Allen head screws so I'm just going to cut a piece of wood to the shape of the steel and reattach the same handle. Just need to find a really small Allen key, and there you have it con-safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
@jackwabbit I was contemplating that in my sleep last night lol (how do I make this consafe?....). I actually noticed the handle is held to the steel by Allen head screws so I'm just going to cut a piece of wood to the shape of the steel and reattach the same handle. Just need to find a really small Allen key, and there you have it con-safe.

Good plan!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm so tired of being outbid on eBay for my Sadf jacket!!! There are two and I'm going to have one of them!!! People are ruthless on eBay.

We've all been there, mate. Ugh. Sorry!

I'm so tired of being outbid on eBay for my Sadf jacket!!! There are two and I'm going to have one of them!!! People are ruthless on eBay.

Try googling "SADF battle jacket for sale/buy/etc.". You might find a better or more reliable deal that way. At least Kommandostore has them in stock, sadly at fairly astronomical prices.

I just got mine. For a meager price of 20€. Then again, I'm in Europe where SADF militaria is plentiful and inexpensive.

_A

Lucky! I've got 120$ bid now and that's a fair one. Might just have to deal and get the one for 150 on kommandostore. I've been watching those and ebay and both that are on ebay will probably pass 150 since one is already at 170.

Has anybody seen this 3-D printed Max facemask? http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:757515

The shape isn't perfect, but if you're not doing a totally SA costume it seems like a pretty good option as it would be comfortable for wearing for an extended period of time. Also, as I am doing a Mad Maxine costume, a 3-D printed mask pattern has the benefit of being scalable so that I can make it small enough to fit my face well. Of course then there's the whole issue of painting it so that it looks enough like metal...

It's pretty chunky in comparison to the film, but I guess if you have 3D printer it'd be easy.

I made the one for my fiance out of worbla and craft foam and he wore it for 8+ hours with great comfort (straws were helpful when he needed a drink and didn't want to take the whole thing off) but you could easily make it with just foam as well for a cheaper method, as long as you're careful and don't use a chain

11714547_10155816611330790_1057924076_n.jpg

Hey all! I've been lurking here for a while but just registered.

Wanted to give you all a heads up: Under Armour updated/ changed the design of the Valsetz boots. The sole is now shaped much differently. I was able to pick up a pair in timber on clearance at a sportsman's warehouse nearby, but if you don't have your boots yet, ​don't delay!

Does anybody know if Karol is making fury road jackets or not? He ask about some in the survey. I was wondering if anybody knew more about south beach. I'm not paying almost 700$ for Fabians jacket just to cut it. That price is ridiculous for a cosplay jacket.

Does anybody know if Karol is making fury road jackets or not? He ask about some in the survey. I was wondering if anybody knew more about south beach. I'm not paying almost 700$ for Fabians jacket just to cut it. That price is ridiculous for a cosplay jacket.

My jacket is not a "cosplay jacket". It's a custom made to measure quality jacket made to wear everyday and casually. If buyers chose to wear it for cosplay that's up to them. The question about south beach has also been asked and answered numerous times on this thread and on others. Do a search the info is already out there.

My jacket is not a "cosplay jacket". It's a custom made to measure quality jacket made to wear everyday and casually. If buyers chose to wear it for cosplay that's up to them. The question about south beach has also been asked and answered numerous times on this thread and on others. Do a search the info is already out there.

Don't take it personally, geez. I'm looking for more details. I'm just curious whether Karol is going to make some or not. I know you don't like the south beach but not everyone has a ton of cash to blow on leather.

Don't take it personally, geez. I'm looking for more details. I'm just curious whether Karol is going to make some or not. I know you don't like the south beach but not everyone has a ton of cash to blow on leather.
I'm not taking anything personally. I'm making a point about the jackets I offer since you mentioned it and my name so new guys like yourself know what's being offered here. Not forcing anyone to by mine either. This thread has been going on for about a year now with 30 pages so most questions have already been answered more than once like the info on south beach. Just saying to do a search so this thread doesn't keep getting clogged up with the same questions before you ask. For the record I have never said I don't like south beach. I've only stated in the past that their jackets are not accurate.

With that being said...the blu ray comes out in September. We should be getting some good glory shots in detail very soon.

I'm not taking anything personally. I'm making a point about the jackets I offer since you mentioned it and my name so new guys like yourself know what's being offered here. Not forcing anyone to by mine either. This thread has been going on for about a year now with 30 pages so most questions have already been answered more than once like the info on south beach. Just saying to do a search so this thread doesn't keep getting clogged up with the same questions before you ask. For the record I have never said I don't like south beach. I've only stated in the past that their jackets are not accurate.

With that being said...the blu ray comes out in September. We should be getting some good glory shots in detail very soon.

And I apologize if it seemed like I was attacking you. I'm just looking for a jacket to use for fury road. This stuff always skyrockets in price when a movie comes out.

Pudge - it all depends on what you're looking for. Many people here are super into accuracy, being as it's a prop forum by nature. But many people aren't as particular. Both groups coexist peacefully here. I've used this site for years as a reference for my cosplays, but rarely post/get into conversations, because I'm not a propmaker and I'm not into finding the exact boot for a character, etc. I mean, if it works out, great, but being as my cosplay are already the most expensive clothes I own, even without being screen-accurate, I often can't spend a ton on them. I'm not spending $200 for a pair of boots ever, much less for a cosplay that'll get worn once a year for a few years if that.

So, your goals determine the answer to your question.

If you're just looking for something to look the part for cosplay, hit up your local thrift shops. Look on eBay. Get creative. Some of the most fun I've had making cosplays has been when I've made it a challenge to make things from what I already own. Learn to sew or find someone who can who will help you. YouTube and such are invaluable as resources, as is this site. I don't know how much cosplay experience you have, but you can make things work on the cheap pretty darn well most of the time.

Good luck!

I'm looking for accurate but I'm not breaking the bank to get it. I'll wait, or just not do it. I've been making props for years but I'm also on a budget. I'm not blowing a ton of money for 10 cons a year if that.

I'm looking for accurate but I'm not breaking the bank to get it. I'll wait, or just not do it. I've been making props for years but I'm also on a budget. I'm not blowing a ton of money for 10 cons a year if that.

That's my cosplay philosophy in general.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back