Gregor The Mountain costume research thread ***Back on the Costume***

Re: Gregor The Mountain costume research thread

For reference, the neck protector (the metal part) is called a gorget. I'm not entirely sure how you'd make it from sintra, since I've never worked with that material and don't know how it deals with sharp curves.

I do own a steel gorget, if you'd like some detail pictures of it (though naturally it won't be exactly the same as this one!) to see how it's put together.

Yep, though from what I have found there is only a front collar plate. I did notice some etched detail/designs on the collar area but I cannot make them out at all.

As for the sintra, it's really really easy to work with but I'd say the hardest part when heating / shaping is making it all even and symmetrical. I appreciate the offer for pics but I've got really good reference for this build

I actually found this really good image...you can see WAY more now...the plates almost look like leather

(Click to see it bigger)
https://img0.etsystatic.com/030/0/35585923/icm_fullxfull.43306730_4kyvjcjryh6oos088g0g.jpg

icm_fullxfull.43306730_4kyvjcjryh6oos088g0g.jpg

Yeah, you're right, that's definitely not a standard gorget. I didn't see the chain at the throat in the other pictures. It does look like the neck guard is steel plates riveted to a leather backing in that larger picture, but I think you might be right that the other plates (the skirt, at the very least) are leather (and the belt, I think). The front of the chest piece (those bigger pieces) might be steel rather than leather, but I'm not sure. They don't have the silvered edges like the neck guard pieces do. I'm actually wondering if the shoulders are leather too, with metal detailing on them. The left shoulder bell is sunk in a bit in the middle where the metal edge piece is riveted to it, and that bottom edge looks thick enough to be leather, rather than steel.

Sorry, babbling! It's a really interesting design, and I'm very excited to see how it comes out. :)

Yeah, you're right, that's definitely not a standard gorget. I didn't see the chain at the throat in the other pictures. It does look like the neck guard is steel plates riveted to a leather backing in that larger picture, but I think you might be right that the other plates (the skirt, at the very least) are leather (and the belt, I think). The front of the chest piece (those bigger pieces) might be steel rather than leather, but I'm not sure. They don't have the silvered edges like the neck guard pieces do. I'm actually wondering if the shoulders are leather too, with metal detailing on them. The left shoulder bell is sunk in a bit in the middle where the metal edge piece is riveted to it, and that bottom edge looks thick enough to be leather, rather than steel.

Sorry, babbling! It's a really interesting design, and I'm very excited to see how it comes out. :)

Yea that's a good observation with the shoulders being leather underneath. I'm still not sure that the collar would be leather underneath but it's still possible. The torso armor is definitely a hammered metal.

In the novel, the armor is said to be made of "black iron," so I think that's what they were going for, however, this image does make me think the lower hanging plates are leather. Perhaps it is a "stunt" version of the suit, but I cannot say. In that image link, the big one above, you can easily tell that the sword he is carrying is not a real sword, but a mold/cast version (maybe a dense rubber?) as you can see the silver over-spray where the bottom of the blade meets the hilt. You can also see a faint seam line running the center of the hilt, all the way to the pommel. Additionally, the tip of the sword's blade is clearly blunt.

So yea..since the scene was a fight sequence, it's quite possible that the entire suit could have been a stunt version. Nevertheless, if I go with leather plates, I think it would look just as good

It's ok to babble..I do it all the time :p

As for progress, we've decided to keep it all within the group until we're all done with it

Another find (or just new to me cause I know nothing at all) is that the armor has rivets all over it, but more specifically, these are called "saddlers rivets"

leathersatchel5.jpg

Yeah, if it's from a fight scene, I'm sure it's a stunt suit, and therefore all rubber, lol! But the thickness of the edges on the collar and skirts really makes me think that it's probably supposed to be leather. If it was supposed to be metal, I'd think the pieces would be thinner (though not having ever made movie props, I could be wrong!). It's hard to tell on the larger chest pieces, since I can't see any of the edges clearly, but if it's supposed to be "black iron" in the books, I'd say it's probably supposed to be metal in the costume. The bracers look the same as the chest and shoulder pieces to me - a leather base, with metal riveted over it. Also, for the shoulders, it looks like only the "bell" is leather, and the guard at the top is metal (and cracked, on the right-hand one).

I think I'm also babbling out of boredom, and a desire to be working on my own costume stuff, instead of being stuck at work! Doing any costume-related stuff is more fun/interesting than being here, lol!

Well then I'm very excited to see the finished product(s)!

Making a note here for later:

The back plates, the ones that are the same as the ones that hang below the waist, he has 2 vertical rows down the center of his back, with 7 plates from top to bottom (one behind the main belt at the waist) so 14 plates just for the back-center. They are exactly the same size as the front and rear portion plates

So here are the totals

Same size plates: 174

Side/hip plates (all varying sizes): 44

Total leather plates: 218

I spoke with my leather guy, who says he can cut the plates for me, but I'll be the one adding the rings and assembling it all. I'm fine with that, as I gotta actually do something!

Yeah, if it's from a fight scene, I'm sure it's a stunt suit, and therefore all rubber, lol! But the thickness of the edges on the collar and skirts really makes me think that it's probably supposed to be leather. If it was supposed to be metal, I'd think the pieces would be thinner (though not having ever made movie props, I could be wrong!). It's hard to tell on the larger chest pieces, since I can't see any of the edges clearly, but if it's supposed to be "black iron" in the books, I'd say it's probably supposed to be metal in the costume. The bracers look the same as the chest and shoulder pieces to me - a leather base, with metal riveted over it. Also, for the shoulders, it looks like only the "bell" is leather, and the guard at the top is metal (and cracked, on the right-hand one).

I think I'm also babbling out of boredom, and a desire to be working on my own costume stuff, instead of being stuck at work! Doing any costume-related stuff is more fun/interesting than being here, lol!

For sure. Yea I am going to go with leather for the plates now. I think it'll look correct as well as be more realistic for the character instead of using plastic. I agree with the collar armor and since the metal is quite thin, I am comptimplating trying to use thin aluminum for those portions on the collar and the bells. I am also considering trying to hammer and form the bells out of aluminum as well...take a crack at it.

I do think the bell at the top should be metal. Logically, the purpose of that is to protect the side of the neck/face, so I don't think anything but metal would be used.

I don't know why, but I feel that it's almost cheating for me to use metal. I guess I felt obligated that since it's a replica, to not make it from anything BUT metal is like cheating. My mind is really weird sometimes...

Blah.

Yrien, when I do get progress I'll share it with you!

For sure. Yea I am going to go with leather for the plates now. I think it'll look correct as well as be more realistic for the character instead of using plastic. I agree with the collar armor and since the metal is quite thin, I am comptimplating trying to use thin aluminum for those portions on the collar and the bells. I am also considering trying to hammer and form the bells out of aluminum as well...take a crack at it.

I do think the bell at the top should be metal. Logically, the purpose of that is to protect the side of the neck/face, so I don't think anything but metal would be used.

I don't know why, but I feel that it's almost cheating for me to use metal. I guess I felt obligated that since it's a replica, to not make it from anything BUT metal is like cheating. My mind is really weird sometimes...

Blah.

Yrien, when I do get progress I'll share it with you!

I agree that the shoulder bells (aka pauldrons) should be metal, both from a practical stand point and from the stand point of what it looks like in the big picture posted earlier. The whole suit is very odd with all of the rivets and plates, even the helmet looks like it could be made out of leather although I'm sure it's supposed to be metal. Regardless, you're definitely not cheating by using metal for the parts that are likely supposed to be metal but I'd personally would just be using plastic to save both weight and money.

I agree that the shoulder bells (aka pauldrons) should be metal, both from a practical stand point and from the stand point of what it looks like in the big picture posted earlier. The whole suit is very odd with all of the rivets and plates, even the helmet looks like it could be made out of leather although I'm sure it's supposed to be metal. Regardless, you're definitely not cheating by using metal for the parts that are likely supposed to be metal but I'd personally would just be using plastic to save both weight and money.

Yea, I felt the same with the helmet, but in that scene, when Martel knocks his helmet off, they use an obvious metal clanking noise for when it hits the ground.

I've got time to do this, if I was strapped for time, I would more than likely be using sintra like I planned, but the rest of group is actually picking up steel and working with it by hand and so far it's looking really good, so I figure I'd give it a shot. Lowes sells steel sheets for about $30, so I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it for the torso and shoulders. If anything, I can produce the torso armor plates with steel. Strapping it to a strong leather vest though would be ideal.

I'll see how heavy it all is..and if it's that bad, then I'll hold off on using it lol but I'm a big guy and don't mind the weight if I know it looks good

Just a steel breastplate isn't too bad, weight-wise. I don't notice mine all that much when I'm wearing it (though I've also never worn it for more than an hour or so at a time!). Good luck with the steel! Getting the shoulders to bell that dramatically will be tricky, but I think it can be done (especially if you're using a thinner gauge).

Just a steel breastplate isn't too bad, weight-wise. I don't notice mine all that much when I'm wearing it (though I've also never worn it for more than an hour or so at a time!). Good luck with the steel! Getting the shoulders to bell that dramatically will be tricky, but I think it can be done (especially if you're using a thinner gauge).

Yea, I think it will be fine for me. I'm a big guy so I think I can handle it lol

Did a side by side with my face. We actually have a lot of look alikes for this group, and it's kinda crazy spooky how close we all resemble the characters faces. I'm close enough for Gregor, but I'll need to have my hair cut down to make a false receding hairline. The beard I think will be an issue since I have to shave once a month for reserve duty, that and my my facial hair is red (viking blood apparently)

10547678_10202887051633154_3149747187610018203_n.jpg

I don't know if you'd seen this video posted yet, but here's his fight with The Hound in HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaIwtO6VWCU

Lots of good shots of the back, and an alternate option for the boots if you'd rather do armored greaves over simple leather boots instead. Best of luck with this build! You look like you're gonna rock it!!!

Thank you!!!

That was really helpful. I snagged a few screen-shots for the back so now I have that!!

Trust me, I want to be working on things too :(

Thank you!!!

That was really helpful. I snagged a few screen-shots for the back so now I have that!!

Trust me, I want to be working on things too :(

I started my Star-Lord build thread the other day, but don't have any new progress to post yet. :( I did a bit more work on the helmet yesterday, but nothing really visually interesting so I didn't bother posting it. But I would much rather be home working on that than at work! (Doesn't help that I'm starting to get a headache, ugh!)

I started my Star-Lord build thread the other day, but don't have any new progress to post yet. :( I did a bit more work on the helmet yesterday, but nothing really visually interesting so I didn't bother posting it. But I would much rather be home working on that than at work! (Doesn't help that I'm starting to get a headache, ugh!)

Bah I know what you mean. I'm still in the R&D for Gregor so nothing has even been started physically speaking. I feel your pain on that front..but good things take time!

Some things to note for this build:

I am having a wood artisan produce the sword for me. I've researched how to properly finish it to get it to look metallic, but I'm not too worried. I am debating if I want to make a sheath though yet.

I may make another thread calling for assistance, as I need help scaling the sword properly. I have my method but it's a pain in the butt to do and I'm not entirely sure I'm doing it correctly..

Also, the gloves he wears. These look IDENTICAL to the black leather gloves the Army issued me!

10507020_10202894873908706_7074569577334414381_o.jpg

Last edited:

Doing some quick calculations based off of this picture:
http://37.media.tumblr.com/d3079ca5226cba771567d6d87b33793f/tumblr_muiqv8c0sf1r00l9eo1_500.jpg

With some slight adjustments made considering the fact the sword is a little farther forward in the picture and the tip is not visible, scaled to your height it should be something in the neighborhood of 5'4" to be proportionately correct.

Would work a better with another picture, but that was the best I found for scaling purposes. I would just suggest making several paper/cardboard blanks of varying sizes around the 5 foot mark and choose the one that you like best.

This is looking pretty interesting so far! Can't wait to see how it turns out :) I've always been a fan of "real" materials.

I'd say make a sheath - it'll give you somewhere to put the sword when you want your hands free!

I came across this tutorial for scaling stuff a little while back - might be helpful!
http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f24/thorin-oakenshield-scalewhole-jpg-334352d1401941684

Thank you! That's actually an interesting way of doing it. I think the only issue with that is it doesn't account for depth, but I think it's hard to either way if you're just using picture reference...

Doing some quick calculations based off of this picture:
http://37.media.tumblr.com/d3079ca5226cba771567d6d87b33793f/tumblr_muiqv8c0sf1r00l9eo1_500.jpg

With some slight adjustments made considering the fact the sword is a little farther forward in the picture and the tip is not visible, scaled to your height it should be something in the neighborhood of 5'4" to be proportionately correct.

Would work a better with another picture, but that was the best I found for scaling purposes. I would just suggest making several paper/cardboard blanks of varying sizes around the 5 foot mark and choose the one that you like best.

Yep, this is the one I used. I can't say how tall the woman is though, but 5'4" is probably just a little too big when comparing to my frame, but I can be wrong.

And that's what I was thinking of doing, making mock up swords out of PVC to see what I think works best.

This is looking pretty interesting so far! Can't wait to see how it turns out :) I've always been a fan of "real" materials.

I'd love to be able to make the entire thing as real as possible but just way more expensive :/

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back