Gregor The Mountain costume research thread ***Back on the Costume***

tubachris85x

Master Member
Buddies coerced me into doing "the mountain" from Game of Thrones for a group costume thing for next year's Megacon. Starting early (thank god) with this, but I decided to do the version at the very end with his fight w/ the Viper. This version has most of his armor but not all of it, so I'm not too concerned.

The biggest hurdles in my mind for this are:

- Boots (I need a size 15 minimum)
- Chain mail - it's expensive
- Sewn portions - Need a patient seamstress and one that is actually local

I still need to gather decent, larger reference pics though. I have a good idea of how to go about it. The majority of the armor is a bunch of plates, thatched together at the corners. The back actually is really more complicated IMO than the front.

Screenshot-7.png

10320963_10202848794236743_5149917615219289460_o.jpg

I think the boots are some-what custom made though...

I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks...

-TC

Re: Gregor The Mountain costume research thread

Chain mail: If you're going to make real mail, go with aluminium rings. They are much lighter. Carrying that much steel around all day will be exhausting! It looks to me like the chain is only the sleeves and that weird cape/scarf thing on the back. If you don't want to weave rings, you may be able to buy pre-made sheets (but it will be more expensive!).

Plates: Craft foam might be your easiest bet. You could punch small holes in the corners and thread more aluminium rings through them to make the coat of plates. There's a chance the rings could rip through the foam, so I wouldn't do it too close to the edge. Or you could use leather rectangles instead, which would be more sturdy, but also heavier (and more expensive!). The back looks simple enough - I think that it's just a factor of having his arms raised that's making it fold up strangely. It looks to me like it opens in the back (as opposed to the front), hence the buckles.

Gambeson (the quilted thing under the armour): Get the lightest one you can find. Padded gambesons are hot.

The pauldrons (shoulders) and bracers (wrists) could be made from worbla or something similar. Check out Kamui Cosplay's work. She has a really good ebook about working with worbla. They could possibly also be done with pepakura, but the pauldrons in particular I think are too complex a shape for foam (though I'm willing to be proven wrong!).

Without being able to see a really clear picture of the boots, I'd say either go custom (check out Armstreet to see if they have something similar), or wear your own shoes/boots with a pair of gaiters or half-chaps to give them the look of boots (which is probably cheaper).

Good luck with this! I'm excited to see it finished!

Just throwing this out there. For the plates maybe you could use the plastic from a Rubber Maid 32 gallon black or gray trash can. It will hold the rings better than foam for sure. I've used it for my samurai plates and they worked great.

Plenty of rectangles for you to cut out in any material. Good luck! I'm sure it will look great!

-Vitro

Ooh, good idea about the plastic - I didn't even think of that!

Chain mail: If you're going to make real mail, go with aluminium rings. They are much lighter. Carrying that much steel around all day will be exhausting! It looks to me like the chain is only the sleeves and that weird cape/scarf thing on the back. If you don't want to weave rings, you may be able to buy pre-made sheets (but it will be more expensive!).

Plates: Craft foam might be your easiest bet. You could punch small holes in the corners and thread more aluminium rings through them to make the coat of plates. There's a chance the rings could rip through the foam, so I wouldn't do it too close to the edge. Or you could use leather rectangles instead, which would be more sturdy, but also heavier (and more expensive!). The back looks simple enough - I think that it's just a factor of having his arms raised that's making it fold up strangely. It looks to me like it opens in the back (as opposed to the front), hence the buckles.

Gambeson (the quilted thing under the armour): Get the lightest one you can find. Padded gambesons are hot.

The pauldrons (shoulders) and bracers (wrists) could be made from worbla or something similar. Check out Kamui Cosplay's work. She has a really good ebook about working with worbla. They could possibly also be done with pepakura, but the pauldrons in particular I think are too complex a shape for foam (though I'm willing to be proven wrong!).

Without being able to see a really clear picture of the boots, I'd say either go custom (check out Armstreet to see if they have something similar), or wear your own shoes/boots with a pair of gaiters or half-chaps to give them the look of boots (which is probably cheaper).

Good luck with this! I'm excited to see it finished!

Yea that chain mail is definitely a concern, but I want to go for authenticity/realism. I have been talking to a person who does custom chain mail orders and have discussed with him this project. From my analysis, the only areas I need chain mail for are the sleeves, the patch that hangs between the legs the neck and finally the tabbards that hang along the back/shoulders. I explained and he agreed to do as minimal as possible. I'm waiting to hear back about the metal, as he recommends stainless steel. The aluminum would be ideal, but I fear it will rust as I live in South Florida and the salt in the air kinda sucks.

Thank you for giving me a name of that particular set of garment, I didn't know what it was called! But yes, I don't want it to be too heavy, so long as it looks appropriate. Just need a seamstress to do it!

As for the boots, I checked Armstreet earlier but they don't have the style I need for this character. I'll keep looking though.

Just throwing this out there. For the plates maybe you could use the plastic from a Rubber Maid 32 gallon black or gray trash can. It will hold the rings better than foam for sure. I've used it for my samurai plates and they worked great.

Plenty of rectangles for you to cut out in any material. Good luck! I'm sure it will look great!

-Vitro

For both, I was planning on using Sintra for the armor itself. I find it pretty easy to work with plus, a 4'x8' sheet is only $35. I personally think Worbla is a rip off though, no offense, for the price they charge for it. The shoulders though will be the most complicated truthfully speaking.

The issue is achieving that texture though, the hammered look with the armor. I like the idea of using metal for the connecting loops though.

Yea that chain mail is definitely a concern, but I want to go for authenticity/realism. I have been talking to a person who does custom chain mail orders and have discussed with him this project. From my analysis, the only areas I need chain mail for are the sleeves, the patch that hangs between the legs the neck and finally the tabbards that hang along the back/shoulders. I explained and he agreed to do as minimal as possible. I'm waiting to hear back about the metal, as he recommends stainless steel. The aluminum would be ideal, but I fear it will rust as I live in South Florida and the salt in the air kinda sucks.

Thank you for giving me a name of that particular set of garment, I didn't know what it was called! But yes, I don't want it to be too heavy, so long as it looks appropriate. Just need a seamstress to do it!

As for the boots, I checked Armstreet earlier but they don't have the style I need for this character. I'll keep looking though.

For both, I was planning on using Sintra for the armor itself. I find it pretty easy to work with plus, a 4'x8' sheet is only $35. I personally think Worbla is a rip off though, no offense, for the price they charge for it. The shoulders though will be the most complicated truthfully speaking.

The issue is achieving that texture though, the hammered look with the armor. I like the idea of using metal for the connecting loops though.

Where do you get your Sintra? And yes I agree with the metal connecting loops.

Now I'm torn, was thinking of doing a kingsguard but this might work better. Only prob is I'm 5'6' so more like a small hill than a mountain :)

You definitely won't need a full suit of mail for this costume, the Mountain is definitely not wearing a full hauberk under his coat of plates, it looks to be just strips of mail here and there to protect the areas not covered by plates. If you look closely at the back shot you can clearly see the sleeve isn't connected in the back although I think it should be. The mail looks to be attached to the plates on the outside via rivets with 3 rivets per plate.

For the gambeson you could cheat it, since it's meant to be a costume and not functional armor it only needs to be heavy looking and quilted in the areas that you can actually see it, in the areas where it's completely covered by armor you could use a moisture wicking material and make it like a military combat shirt. Just Google combat shirt if you don't know what I mean and you'll get the picture, it wouldn't be very authentic but it will make you far more comfortable.

Actually, aluminium is extremely resistant to corrosion, so you might be okay (even in Florida!).

Where do you get your Sintra? And yes I agree with the metal connecting loops.

Now I'm torn, was thinking of doing a kingsguard but this might work better. Only prob is I'm 5'6' so more like a small hill than a mountain :)

I was lucky to find a local supplier fortunately. I am actually 6'7" about 320lbs currently, so I'm not that far off from the actor. I just need to work on my muscles lol

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, aluminium is extremely resistant to corrosion, so you might be okay (even in Florida!).

Sure hope so!

- - - Updated - - -

You definitely won't need a full suit of mail for this costume, the Mountain is definitely not wearing a full hauberk under his coat of plates, it looks to be just strips of mail here and there to protect the areas not covered by plates. If you look closely at the back shot you can clearly see the sleeve isn't connected in the back although I think it should be. The mail looks to be attached to the plates on the outside via rivets with 3 rivets per plate.

For the gambeson you could cheat it, since it's meant to be a costume and not functional armor it only needs to be heavy looking and quilted in the areas that you can actually see it, in the areas where it's completely covered by armor you could use a moisture wicking material and make it like a military combat shirt. Just Google combat shirt if you don't know what I mean and you'll get the picture, it wouldn't be very authentic but it will make you far more comfortable.

The guy I was speaking to offered to do the chainmail portion for about $400, for labor and materials. I think that sounds reasonable but I could be wrong. I know it's tedious work.

But yea, I'll be wearing some type of under-armor material. I am debating if I want to attach the torso armor to a vest or shirt of some kind to keep it all together and easy to put on

The guy I was speaking to offered to do the chainmail portion for about $400, for labor and materials. I think that sounds reasonable but I could be wrong. I know it's tedious work.

But yea, I'll be wearing some type of under-armor material. I am debating if I want to attach the torso armor to a vest or shirt of some kind to keep it all together and easy to put on

The price quote would be right if you are getting riveted stainless steel. You could also look into getting one of the pre-made haulberks and cutting it apart and using just the parts you need. A set from India on eBay runs about $400 for riveted stainless. You could get aluminum or steel cheaper. The rings cut apart quite easily and no wait!

The torso armor and the rest of the armor are all attached together and if you use a solid piece over the shoulder and a belt that will hold it in place and take up a fair bit of the weight.

Good luck!

Aluminum would be the way to go. Steel is no bueno unless you are actually going to war in it, which I'm guessing will not be the case... :lol

Aluminum IS, as Yrien said already, corrosion resistant. It won't rust... It will also be much lighter than steel, and because it doesn't conduct heat, it also acts a little like a heatsink in warm, con season weather (or so I'm told by my aluminum chain wearing friends).

It's also worth noting that because steel is so heavy, we don't usually put our actors in it. His mail is more than likely aluminum or plastic.

Haha, yes! Subscribing immediately. With your size, this will be a knock out.

If all goes well, I'll be attending MegaCon again next year, and I'd love to see this one all finished. How big is your group and which characters are people going as?

Haha, yes! Subscribing immediately. With your size, this will be a knock out.

If all goes well, I'll be attending MegaCon again next year, and I'd love to see this one all finished. How big is your group and which characters are people going as?

Sweet man, yea this is going to be an extensive build and I know everyone else in our group is die-hard accuracy nuts, so I think it can be a fairly decent group. Right now, we have 13 people, more or less. One of our guys was actually contacted by another person stating that they were doing a group GoT costume thing too...so yea..this will be an interesting conflict.

These characters at least :p

10470579_10203200034339766_8968594130154226048_o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Aluminum would be the way to go. Steel is no bueno unless you are actually going to war in it, which I'm guessing will not be the case... :lol

Aluminum IS, as Yrien said already, corrosion resistant. It won't rust... It will also be much lighter than steel, and because it doesn't conduct heat, it also acts a little like a heatsink in warm, con season weather (or so I'm told by my aluminum chain wearing friends).

It's also worth noting that because steel is so heavy, we don't usually put our actors in it. His mail is more than likely aluminum or plastic.

Yep....going to do aluminum!!!

Wow, that's a huge group planned. I definitely have to get a picture with you guys, if all goes as planned it sounds like it'll be amazing.

I feel for you on overheating issues, I live in Orlando myself, with my hometown being Jupiter, and it can get up there in temperature.

I've always loved the Clegane brothers, and would dress as the Hound (favorite GoT character hands down) if I wasn't only 5'9.5" :(, honestly might still do it some day, but I like people fitting the characters so I'm in a little of a bind.

I was looking at the sword. In the novelization, it's claimed that Gregor is close to 8' tall, with his sword being 6' tall. The actor is 6'9" but a 6' sword on him would be too tall. The pic of him shows the top of the pommel just reaching nipple level.

On me, that would be 5' tall even. So, I'm debating how I should go about making it. Either sculpting it, molding and cold-casting it or just attempt a cheaper, one-off....

to me it looks like his armor was designed and fabricated for one of the previous actors playing the mountain and the chain panels were added to stretch out the costume.

to me it looks like his armor was designed and fabricated for one of the previous actors playing the mountain and the chain panels were added to stretch out the costume.

Yea you're right about that. This same suit is used throughout the whole series so far. As for the chainmail, I did see on some screen shots where the character is not wearing shoulder bells, that at least the top of the chain mail sleeve is sewn to the under garment at the shoulder.

What I'm thinking I can do, is for this undergarment, since it needs to be gray, is to use a long sleeved sweatshirt, and sew the top of the chain mail to it as seen in the show. It doesn't need to be anything fancy as it's going to be covered by the chainmail the bracers and gloves

The main armor, I can either use a leather/faux leather vest and attach the main abdomina/torso plates to it. The collar piece to breacher/neck protector is all one piece, but getting the proper curves and shapes with the sintra will be tricky.

The kama/plate armor is 6 separate sections, that will run from waist level to just below the knee (for me, that's approx. 25" in length. So I'll need to draw it all out on paper and scale it from there.

- The plates on the front and back sections are all identical in shape and size, consist of 4 vertical rows, with 8 plates each, so 32 plates time 2 = 64 plates for the front two sections.

- The rear sections are the same size plates as the front, however it is 6 vertical rows of 8 plates each, 48 per section, times 2 = 96 plates just for the rear.

- The last two sections, are on the sides/hips. they are 2 vertical rows, 7 plates each, but at the very top, both rows are connected by a single, large plate. To note, the top plates are narrower than the bottom, so they flair out.

so:
Front/rear plate total: 160
Side plate totals: 44

Screenshot-82.png

This is a great side shot reference, and the clearest so far for the bracer armor, and gives me a good side profile of the shoulder bell

I can probably use almost loose-fitting gray sweat pants. The Gambeson I could probably just make the lower portions, and secured at the waist or so with a belt instead of needing to do a full gambeson..

This is going to be painstaking

If you're looking for custom boots that won't break the bank, JDOS Productions does excellent work. He's specialized in Jedi/Sith boots for the Rebel Legion/501st folks, but is happy to do other custom orders. He's got a bit of a backlog, though, so not sure what the turnaround time currently is. But definitely recommend Daniel.

https://www.facebook.com/JDOSprops

Good luck with your build! I'm looking forward to seeing it come together.

For reference, the neck protector (the metal part) is called a gorget. I'm not entirely sure how you'd make it from sintra, since I've never worked with that material and don't know how it deals with sharp curves.

I do own a steel gorget, if you'd like some detail pictures of it (though naturally it won't be exactly the same as this one!) to see how it's put together.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back