Gregor The Mountain costume research thread ***Back on the Costume***

Re: Gregor The Mountain costume research thread

I agree that the shoulder bells (aka pauldrons) should be metal, both from a practical stand point and from the stand point of what it looks like in the big picture posted earlier. The whole suit is very odd with all of the rivets and plates, even the helmet looks like it could be made out of leather although I'm sure it's supposed to be metal. Regardless, you're definitely not cheating by using metal for the parts that are likely supposed to be metal but I'd personally would just be using plastic to save both weight and money.

Ah... But that's the trick. Make plastic LOOK like metal... The show pauldrons are more than likely fiberglass. Not common to use real metal for film anymore.

Yea, I felt the same with the helmet, but in that scene, when Martel knocks his helmet off, they use an obvious metal clanking noise for when it hits the ground.

Don't trust movie sounds... Those come from the foley artist... Make that fiberglass helmet sound like metal.

Also... You should head on over here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/GameofThronesCostuming/?fref=nf

I recently joined up when I started working on my Jaime coat. Pretty good community.

Don't trust movie sounds... Those come from the foley artist... Make that fiberglass helmet sound like metal.

Also... You should head on over here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/GameofThronesCostuming/?fref=nf

I recently joined up when I started working on my Jaime coat. Pretty good community.

That only matters if you're looking at reproducing the costume to exactly as it was constructed by the costuming dept.as opposed to what it's supposed to be onscreen. The metallic clang heard in that episode tells us that regardless of what the actual helm is made of it's supposed to be metal.

Sword scaling and analysis. This is drawn out to-scale, and it is massive....

This is the hilt portion, 19" long from pommel tip to tip/point on the top of the hand guard. Ruler for scale lol

10421223_10202962177871263_7301386365469028398_n.jpg

I'm away until later this month w/ the army but The WoodChuck sent me this pic today. Great start and I'm anxious to see the rest of it :)

10603788_10203066529359985_1683865517594018012_n.jpg

Unfortunately, I will be putting this project on the back burner. Since I didn't really *start* this project, it's not a huge deal, but the sword will still made. With the potential move in the next few months, as well as learning that I have reserved duty the weekend of Megacon, for which I was planning to build this costume for, it's kind of a bummer....

Aww, that sucks! :( I was totally looking forward to seeing this. Hopefully you can make it for another event?

Aww, that sucks! :( I was totally looking forward to seeing this. Hopefully you can make it for another event?

Oy, well the costume was going to be with a large group doing characters from the show. It's not that I don't want to do the costume, I mean, I'm still having the sword made, just putting it on hold until I get situated with the DC move. The issue I may face when I do go is that I'll have to get an apartment and lose viable work space, so that's my biggest concern that I am going to have a really difficult time to work on anything at all.

Re: Gregor The Mountain costume research thread *Sword is ready*

WoodChuck completed the sword this week. Going to have to make a day trip to go pick it up!!

995647_10203391047792743_2755374814207115700_n.jpg

10653333_10203391047752742_9077886261437827508_n.jpg

Going to need to do a bit more work to finish this but otherwise, this is what I need and I'm quite thankful for his skill and patience!

Re: Gregor The Mountain costume research thread *** New Sword Pics***

So I made the drive to pick up the sword from the maker himself. One thing is seeing it in pics VS in person, you really see how large the sword actually is. To add, it's deceivingly light, and I'd guess it to be only 2lbs, if that. Needless to say, I'm quite happy. I still need to do some minor modifications and detail work on the blade, but I couldn't be happier with WoodChuck's work!

The man himself

10394854_10203423131154807_8540736732251030572_n.jpg

A buddy of mine holding it for scale

1970517_10153321724763018_7162168216220679416_n.jpg

Damn, I arrived too late to this thread to be useful :<
I made the mountain armor for my own game of thrones group and was all excited someone else was going to do a full one too.
Cosplayers of Westeros Mountain.jpg
Cosplayers of Westeros Mountain 2.jpg
Cosplayers of Westeros Mountain 3.jpg
It sucks that it looks like the project is not going forward at this time. That IS a very sweet sword.
If you do want to go forward in the future, I am willing share my experiences wearing it, building it out of steel,aluminum and leather.

Hello Everyone.
I got a really Challenge. I will do this armor in real steel in a month TIme...
Madness?... no.. This is Sp... sorry i lost the line jajaja

Well i been talking to some people abbout this armor, about the lower part, that is a kind of Tasset... i almost sure its leather, reallywell painted leather, but fot the history it is supossed to be steel... buth that thickneess of steel will cause the armor to much heavy (I ve been calculating about 40 o 50 kg) . For "real protection y will use minimum 1.5 steel, but its to thin fot the image.

Well, dont whant to extend more, i ve been reading your comments, so i will like your sugestions based in yoir exp.

Leather: medium weight, looks like the armor in the photo.
Steel:: it will look thiner, real protection.

:)

Thanks
(PD:sorry if my english in not good enougth, or ive got lots of grammar problemas , ive lost practice, especialy writting. )

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back