" Thanks, I know what it does." Coulson's Revenge scratchbuild, casting, etc. . .

Rhett J Martin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi there fellow RPF-ers!

I've been playing around with lots of props and models this past spring and summer, and besides graduating to cars, I've been struggling to find a prop that will really test me before I move into working in 3D software and printing. I'd been pretty stumped on my 'masters thesis' project, until the season finale of Agents of Shield. I was one of those who hung in there throughout the whole two season run, and loved the last few episodes that tied into Winter Soldier. Awesome synergy and a pretty awesome payoff! So off I went preparing for my side project while doing Jobus and working on my new Ecto. The Destroyer Gun, also know as Coulson's Revenge!

Research
Screencaps and photos of the prop aren't very plentiful out there, with minimal views of everything but the sides.

From Avengers ("I don't know what it does!")
attachment.php

From Agents of Shield ("I know what it does!")
attachment.php

The pics from the Art of Avengers book were helpful, but I needed something more concrete.
attachment.php

So, I decided to put my projects life into the hands of Hot Toys! KNowing their attention to detail, and common practice of scanning props or using 3D files, I bought a spare 1/6 scale gun of of eBay, and got out the rulers and the calculator, and started to blueprint the gun!
attachment.php

I actually did a little guessing game contest on Facebook and offered a free replica to anyone who could guess it. One of my Ghostbusters buddies got it correct! Of course, this was after 25 incorrect guesses!! Lol

Building

So, lots of plastic and foam, I've gotten most of the midsection knocked together, and have started the filling, priming, and finishing of the middle before I move onto the stock, and then front casing. The barrel and scopes will be last.

This beast will clock in at 39 inches long when finished. I'll be casting the main body in two halves, with bits of clear orange, then with a separate clear barrel (gee, can't wait for that), and separate barrel cage, scope, and rangefinder. It's gonna be expensive, but isn't all S.H.I.E.L.D. tech?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'll be snapping some better photos this weekend, and have added the scope rail, and begun work on the rear stock too.

I do plan on farming out to someone to create a light and sound circuit so we can have that cool sequence and sound startup and maybe even that great "thump" sound effect when it shoots (if anyone's interested, PM me!).

I'll be casting these up and selling replicas (in time for Christmas lol) so stay tuned for an interest thread!!

I'm pretty pleased with how its come out! It's looking pretty rough in these photos, but the last few days have seen some great progress as I've added all the socket head screws, finished the filing and sanding, and have begun adding texture to the Destroyer metal encased in the gun.

Stay tuned for a lot of progress!! I don't have much to do until my new vinyl arrives for the Ecto!

Behind the scope is what appears to be a standard holographic Sight. Default would be EOTech, but it doesn't appear to be one to me, maybe a knock off or airsoft or something.

Ive found one or two that might fit the bill, but I don't want to drop 300 bucks for a real one only to drop it into silicone!! I'm really curious about the scope! I'm pretty intimidated by it!

What a magnificent piece! I've just nearly finished (isn't that how it always is??) my Coulson, looking very much forward to seeing more of this!

Thanks for all the views and positive comments! I glad so many are excited, and I'm really looking forward to making this monster! I popped in Avengers last night, as well as the finale from AOS, and picked out a few more details here and there. Some changes are coming, and I think I made some solid discoveries on parts:

Scope and Range Finder Part ID's
I've bummed around Google the last two days, and found some very nice matches to get ordered out of the airsoft world.

The Rangefinder/Holo Red Dot
attachment.php

Looks like this is a ripoff of Eotechs 551. I'll pick up this 'Hurricane Holo 551' for about 50 bucks. It's dimensions and detailing match to both photos and the Hot Toys gun.

The Scope
attachment.php

Looks like the 'Swiss Arms' 4x40 matches the closest in dimensions. Finding the right bevel on the dial was the main holdup. The only missing piece is the numbered dial up front, but since the prop scope is backwards, and the numbered dial faces backwards, I have to guess they added on or re-installed it incorrectly. So I'll pick up another cheapy scope with a similar dial and swap it in. Another plus on this one is the mounting hardware appears to match.

Any other opinions or options, or does it look like I've got some winners here?

Once both are in house, I can add the scribed detail to the red dot, and the ribbed detail to the scope! Simple!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405293644.499142.jpg
Got the sight rail added, and more smoothing of the Asgardian Destroyer metal before mounting more caging over it. Finishing up the butt of the rifle tonight.

Scope.jpg

Found a Nerf-like gun at Target today (which ironically I'm using as a basis to make the Night Night Rifle from Agents of Shield) that came with the scope that you see in the above picture. I'm not sure how particular you want to be with the scope, but the Nerf-like gun was only $18, so ruining it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Here's what the gun itself looks like:
BaseGun.jpg

This is ace. We are only one season into Agents of Shield though! Second season due soon - this month in fact. GRIN.

I've been planning a "Destroyer Gun" myself using the Hot Toys 1:6 toy as a basis for measurements so I'll be interested to see how yours progresses.

God luck with the rest of the build.

Glad everyone likes this. I've actually stopped building it, due to Halloween haunt obligations, but it is assembled to the point that once a primer coat is on it, I'll be comfortable starting the interest thread for the run in November. The rear stock is on, and the sites are on too, I only have to build the 'barrel' and she'll be ready to cast up!!
Looking forward to positing progress!!

The yellow "emitter" (or what ever you want to call the end of the barrel) looks an awful lot like the cheap clear/colored aftermarket distributer caps that are available for old Volkswagen Beetles/Ghias, etc… They come in clear, yellow, blue, red and pink.

maybe?

Try googling "VW air cooled clear distributor cap". I think EMPI makes them.

The foundation looks very similar to a pulse rifle from Aliens, with a bunch of modifications. Those are very common props - I wonder if maybe they started with that and built it up into a bigger weapon?

Thanks for the help guys, but as this thing is already hammered out, I've stopped looking for pieces and parts. BUT I do appreciate the contribution!

I'm happy to say I'm finally going to get moving on this thing again, and I've got some fun stuff coming up to make this prop really pop!! Stay tuned in the next week or two as I'll be adding the scopes and starting the front!

I am worried that people will want a replica of this . . .my other runs and threads haven't done very well!

Hang in there - daunting project. SHIELD is AWESOME !!! You have put a lot of work into this and it is looking great !! Massive build !!! Keep going !!

Progress is moving along, but I haven't had time and energy to get her wet sanded and reprimed. But she does look really good. I'm about to move onto the barrel and clear portions underneath. I've gathered some more reference pics, I thought I'd share for you guys who are aiming to build your own. :)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Horrid cell phone pics/caps from the Avengers behind the scenes feature. Important to note, the front barrel was cgi'd for the film, but the orginal prop can be seen nicely in the photos (and in it's un-cgi'd state in AOS). Also clear, is the tip of the barrel IS NOT the VW distributor cap, as the 'rods' of the piece are different circumferences. It was a nice try though!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back