Join Plastruct to Plexi-Glass...

Checksum

I want to join to plastruct plastic to plexiglass. What is the best type of glue to really bond it so it wont come off? I know some things are good for certain types of plastics and not for others. Should I use CA glue or the special plastruct liquid cement stuff?
Thanks

Although Acetone and MEK will work I would not use those. they are very dangerous chemicals and I wouldn't breath those in. Not saying Weld on is better. but no where as bad as those. crack the windows and make sure your room is well ventilated.

Although Acetone and MEK will work I would not use those. they are very dangerous chemicals and I wouldn't breath those in. Not saying Weld on is better. but no where as bad as those. crack the windows and make sure your room is well ventilated.

I agree that they're ALL dangerous. Acetone and MEK are components of some Weld-On products (read the MDSS) and should be used with PLENTY of ventilation. I use MEK as a lower cost alternative to Weld-On and suggested it as such. It's also easier to get, MEK can usually be found at a local hardware store, whereas you need to go to a specialty store like a industrial plastic supply or a really well stocked hobby shop.

So summary is this: Weld-On 3 or 4 if you can get it, MEK if you're in a pinch.

Sorry to come back and ask, but if I'm bonding Lexan and Plastruct sheets or Lexan and Evergreen sheets. Does that matter? Will Weld on 3 or 4 still work?

Yeah, sorry about not knowing what I was working with. I did do a test piece with a sheet of Evergreen Styrene bonded to the 1/4" thick clear Lexan. I of course, sanded each surface to roughen them up and then used Plastruct Bondene "Styrene & ABS plastic solvent cement". That seemed to give a good bond. But I just wonder how well it will hold in 5-10 years...

If you are using solvent cement, you just need the right one for the type of plastics you are using. A number of the Plastruct products are made of butyrate which works best with a glue made for it like Plastruct's Plastic Weld. (Weld-On makes a cement that works for butyrate too as part of their spectrum of products. )

There is some material carry over with different solvents, and some that don't work as well on certain plastics. Solvents for acrylic and styrene don't seem to work as well on lexan, butyrate, ABS, PVC or acetate, but there are other solvents that work well on those. Then there are some plastics that nothing will glue to, like polyethylene.

Plastic Weld seems to be formulated to work on a bunch of different plastics, but I find it leaves a bit of residue behind that Weld-On 3 or 4 don't. On the other hand, while Weld-On 3 and 4 leave hardly any residue, they don't seem to bond the butyrate very well; but they do make a version of Weld-On that does. Bondene is for use on "similar" plastics i.e. gluing styrene to styrene or butyrate to butyrate.

So read the labels to see what the solvent is intended for and try to make sure you know what you are trying to stick together.

I want to know what peoples opinion are for using Plastruct "Bondene" or "Plastic Weld" to secure full or almost full sheets of Evergreen Styrene to clear Lexan. It seems like a good bond. There arent any horror stories about someone doing what Im doing and having it all fall off after a few months is there?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back