1:1 Mars Attacks Martian WIP UPDATE! Now with color

weaselflinger

Sr Member
I've always wanted a 1:1 martian bust and started collecting reference photos to sculpt one from from scratch. On a whim, I thought I should check eBay just in case casts from the full sized production martians were floating around and I found this:
20140705_160946.jpg

It is only the front half, but I got it for $40 and it matched the production made martians exactly (saving me a ton of time). The first step was to hollow out some of the foam from the back, mount it to a base and add expanding foam.
20140705_171432.jpg
After trimming the foam back a little, I roughed in the back half with ceramic clay.
20140706_171120.jpg
I'm about 5 hours in and have most of the left side knocked out.
20140707_153040.jpg

Last edited:
1:1 Mars Attacks Martian WIP

Strong work, so far. There is a market for a 1:1 bust of these guys. (Me, included!) A little more zaniness of the brows would be nice and help bring him to life. Eyes turned left or right (with paint) will help this, as well. The bust you bought is "at rest," and the expressiveness can be added pretty easily. Sure beats starting from scratch!

Re: 1:1 Mars Attacks Martian WIP

Looking good. I'm lucky enough to have one of the full 1:1 castings. These things really are huge!

Mars-Attacks-Lifesize-Martian-Bust-1.jpg

Make sure you add the tentacle/frills along the cheek bones that are missing from the production casts (I don't have them either). If you need any measurements or detail photos, let me know.

Thanks for the offer, Howlrunner. Your pics have already helped a bunch, but I may take you up on your offer. Mine have the same slots under the cheek bones that yours has but I was going to probably sculpt and cast them separately.

M-

Resurrecting this thread with updates.... I molded and cast the finished bust last summer and started painting it yesterday.
20150623_103402_resized.jpg
Base color applied.
20150623_163506_resized.jpg
Starting the brain...
20150624_124337_resized.jpg
Progress after day 2. Still a long way to go. I'm painting everything in layers with a brush and so far have only used 3 colors (plus white) to keep an overall continuity.

That's looks great. You can really nail it with a killer paint job on the eyes giving them a nice glossy coat.

It looks like you've nailed the palette. Looking great, already. I can't wait to see this finished.

Looks awesome!

Did you re-sculpt the eyebrow ridges to make him look meaner, or is it just the angle of the photo? He looks like an evil little bugger!

Looks awesome!

Did you re-sculpt the eyebrow ridges to make him look meaner, or is it just the angle of the photo? He looks like an evil little bugger!

Thanks, Howlrunner. Aside from adding the eyes, I didn't alter the face at all. The sculpt is a fairly static expression, but a good paint job gives it a more dynamic look.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back