Polystyrene Question - any help would be appreciated!

Room8

I want to carve a relief out of a polystyrene panel and, once finished, fiberglass it. Will the fiberglass eat away at the polystyrene or will it be okay?
Thanks for any answers/advice!

Do a test first before applying anything to polystyrene, expanded polystyrene, or styrofoam. A better choice would be polyurethane foam, as it is not reactive with solvents.

- - - Updated - - -

Do a test first before applying anything to polystyrene, expanded polystyrene, or styrofoam. A better choice would be polyurethane foam, as it is not reactive with solvents.

There are also water-based resins, odorless and non-toxic,great for working at home. Here in Italy it's called "Plastoforma." Or resins that do not require glass fiber,as the DURALOID COATPLAST both firm Prochima.

Thanks everyone. A second question...I know I can purchase sheets of the pink foam board at Home Depot or Lowes, but I have seen people on the net with big cubes of it. Does anyone know of a supplier that sells the pink foam board at good prices and various sizes?

Will do! One last question...Is there any difference between the pink foam board that I see people using and the white foam board that I see others using? They seem to have the same density, but I'm sure there are a few of you who know way more than I do about the best foam board to use.

Heres what I know about them: the pink board is an Owens Corning product and is usually used for insulation and construction, as far as I know. It normally comes in 1” to 2” thick pieces. The white board is expanded polystyrene foam and is the large foam blocks ( normally what I get because I can get the sizes I need). Last time I looked it ranged from 0.75 density up to 3.0 lb density. I think the company that pitchforknumb was talking about sells both but you might want to double check. Sorry for the wordy response.... I get carried away sometimes! :rolleyes

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back