V for Vendetta Mask Paint and Leather Build

Taylor Jean

Hey guys, I wanted to share a project I've been working on for a friend of mine, a screen-accurate V for Vendetta mask! Many of the masks for sale are way off either in shape, color, or are just not completed to the quality of the original. This is a very special build in that I'm trying a lot of new techniques. I already have a blank mask and I've slowly been working out the details on how to finish it. My build will include: Airbrushed paint job, black leather straps, wet-formed leather interior, and fabric mesh for the eyes and mouth.

I received my paints earlier this week (from Paint), though my compressor died on me. So the tests will most likely commence tomorrow or next week. I'm using the Badger ModelFlex Marine series paints, which have some really spot on colors for this mask. There's an eBay seller who offers fairly inexpensive leather cuts, I picked a smooth black cowhide for the straps (eBay item number 330868651751) . The interior of the screen-used mask I learned was done by wet-forming thin leather to it. (Leather By Johan: May 2005 and Wastekeep Photo Gallery :: Making the Arlecchino Mask have some great photos of the process.) A huge thanks to J EM for helping me out earlier with the details. My client decided to simply do without the leather lining, though I'd love to get around to trying it out for myself. Instead I'll be applying brown paper mache to mimic a classic Venetian mask. Finally, for the eyes and mouth I will stretch a black mesh (Black Power Mesh Fabric - $6.95 | onlinefabricstore.net) over the inside to conceal the wearer. I've included some pictures below of the reference materials and of my work so far:
1.png2.png3.png4.png5.jpg6.jpg7.JPG8.JPG9.JPG10.JPG11.JPG12.JPG13.JPG14.JPG15.jpg

At the moment I'm deciding on what leather weight in which I should use for lining. Two companies have suggested that I use a 2-3 ounce leather (Tandy Leather Factory - Oak-Leaf Tooling Leather Sides) and stain it once I'm done. I may end up mixing http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/leather-dye/2614-04.aspx with http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/leather-dye/2614-03.aspx since I can't find a spot on color dye. Should I go with a thinner leather than 2-3 oounce? Anyone with some leather experience please chime in. I've been told it has to be vegetable tanned tooling leather. I am also meeting with Tandy leather in person to get another opinion later this month.

Last edited:
Some paint tests from last week. Still finding the right base color before I move to the wrinkles. I'm also playing with varnishes, both satin and gloss.
IMG_6076.JPGIMG_6077.JPGIMG_6079.JPGIMG_6083.JPGIMG_6171.JPG

Any idea where to find a good casting of the original hero mask? Looks like there are a million different versions on Ebay but nothing that seemed legit other than the thousand dollar DC Direct prop.

Yeah, the DC Direct ones are really pricey. Original casts pop up on eBay once in a very long while. I think there's some available on Etsy too.

Rusty85 A member had a run a few years ago with a casting from the original mold and the original propmaker painting them. Search around the forum and you will find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
For now, I have 2 masks I'm completing for clients. Though I'll post a project run thread if I end up finishing more.

I wouldn't do that considering your previous thread clearly showed the origins of your casts. Be happy making these ones up and don't push your luck. Just because you changed your username doesn't mean we've forgotten the provenance of your casts.

Carry on.

-Nick

I wouldn't do that considering your previous thread clearly showed the origins of your casts. Be happy making these ones up and don't push your luck. Just because you changed your username doesn't mean we've forgotten the provenance of your casts.

Carry on.

-Nick

Oh.....recast? got a link

I do not sell these. If you can find a mask elsewhere, I'd be willing to paint and finish it. There is user on etsy who sells already painted V masks, but they're not the best paint jobs.

It's interesting that there was black mesh used over the eyes but they don't show it in the photos where he's going to put on the mask. The DC Direct mask looks awesome, but the paint job on the cheeks doesn't look quite Red enough from the pictures I've seen of it. What's the inside of that look like, is it done with the leather?

I noticed that as well. I plan on embedding the mesh between the mask and leather. Out of all the masks used on screen, the initial one V puts on in the mirror has the nicest paint job with the wrinkles and cheeks. Anyone own a DC Direct mask? What mesh/fabric is used on it?

Nice work! I found a great stand for these masks that fits perfectly inside the Detolf cases. It's a pair of hands from Barnes and Noble that's meant to hold a cell phone. I used it to hold a Rubik's Cube up until now, but after seeing how well it holds the mask I'm going to use it for this instead.
Img_140725161351_zpsc274fe61.jpeg

Had a talk with some experts today and picked the leather. A black hide for the straps and a veg tanned 2-3 oz. pig side for the interior. Also picked up a stain for later. What do you think on the color, maybe too orange? Will start tooling and wet forming it by the end of this week.
IMG_6431.JPGIMG_6430.JPGIMG_6437.JPGIMG_6439.JPG

Looking pretty good man! The leather from the movie looks like it's the color of a paper bag almost, maybe a duller shade than what's pictured above. That article with the original mask maker was sure interesting, thanks for posting it!

Finally got around to the leather. I'll stain, glue, and trim this inlay once the mask is fully painted. I also cut the black straps. I have quite a few of them, pm me if you'd like a set for your own mask.
IMG_6445.JPGIMG_6472.JPGIMG_6473.JPGIMG_6590.JPG

I've been discussing the possible paint jobs with a couple people considering there were more than 40 masks used in the film's production. The initial stunt mask is the look I'll be going for. Colors for the base and burnt edge are resolved. Cheeks/lip color and placement are still getting there. Wrinkles and shadows still need to be done. V is looking a little feminine right now, but once the facial hair is painted it'll all come together. Any suggestions?
IMG_6558.JPGIMG_6563.JPGIMG_6595.JPGIMG_6593.JPG

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back