Tales of the Jedi Inspired "Fallen" Jedi Build

PatVonDapper

Hi everyone! New member here, not much response on the new member thread, plus I wanted to toss out my current project for ideas and critiques.
I've been stuck on Star Wars since the early/mid 90's, and I'm now 28. My first real costume I made was in sixth grade, a ROTJ Luke that used a flashlight painted like his hilt. Not my finest work by any means. This year I'll be attending Dragon Con for the first time, due to the fact that I'm dating someone into cosplay and told her I would give it all a try.

I was always fascinated by the old Tales of the Jedi graphic novels and I loved the way Ulic-Qel Droma and Exar Kun looked. Their armor always seemed to be from different styles or eras, and I'm using that as inspiration for my build. I've been working on this idea for the past few months and am slowly learning to make it a reality. I'm going for a darker look, so black underlayers, and a black cloak, weathered saber hilt, etc
. tumblr_mzv6hjZMg71rco7aho1_500.jpg250px-Dante_Older_Armor.jpg

So far I have cut the bottom blank for my belt, and will cut out the outer strap for the cinch belt in the next few days. The red is where the belt studs will go once they arrive. The brown belt and buckle are just a mockup to give an idea.
unnamed-2.jpg

My more experienced costumer of a girlfriend was kind enough to sew my cloak for me once I picked out the fabric. I went with a black hopsack linen, as it was nice and sturdy but also had a coarser weave which I really liked. It's floor length, but has no sleeves. I plan to fasten it to the shoulders/collarbone of my armor using some small but heavy duty magnets I have.
Cloak.jpg

I'm currently waiting on my boots and saber to arrive. While I had wanted to build a fully custom saber, I don't have the time to devote to it like I need. Especially considering this is my first in-depth build. I ordered sintra a month or so ago, but have yet to really work with it. I have cut out a few armor templates out of cardstock, and plan to transfer them to the sintra and proceed from there. I'm going for a fully armored look, but I prefer the aesthetic of the characters I mentioned over the more generic armor of the acolytes or old republic jedi you see in the game. In addition, I'm going to try for an armored head piece like Ulic is wearing on the cover of the TOJ graphic novel above.

Any thoughts/ideas? I'm a bit nervous about starting to work with sintra. I kind of feel like I picked something too complex for my first build.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back