Targaryen House Shield - Replica Prop

Matt Kaz

I'm currently studying Modelmaking at the AUB and this was my final project for the second year. I was looking into De-skilling in the prop making industry, and as such made this replica shield entirely by hand. No use of machinery or automation, just hand skills.
Targaryen Shield.jpg
Based on the cover art from 'A Dance with Dragons', I created a full scale replica built as if it could be used for the TV show.

Progress so far:
IMG_8582.JPGIMG_8583.JPGIMG_8584.JPG
First of all I built a purpose made plaster spinner to spin the domed shape of the shield.
IMG_8499.JPG
This was the outcome, a 27ish inch diameter dome, onto which I cast hemispheres and started on the detailing around the edge.

IMG_8578.JPGIMG_8579.JPG
All the detail was made from 1mm thick sheet wax, which was sticky backed so saved on the gluing.

IMG_8580.JPGIMG_8581.JPG12 (1).JPG
The finished sculpt with all of the wax detailing. I ran out of primer so just sprayed the dome silver to help seal it before the clay went on, I also added more wax on top as extra detail.

Attachments

• IMG_8578.JPG
    IMG_8578.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_8579.JPG
    IMG_8579.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 166
IMG_8588.JPG12 (2).JPG
With the master sculpt finished , I moulded it with 'Supersil 25' condensation cure silicone, that I got from MouldLife. Onto this I made a fibreglass jacket to keep it in shape.

The second photo is of the first gel coat layer I put into the mould. I built up 3 of these, then did a layer of resin with chopped strand, and finished it off with 2 layers of matting.

Unfortunately the RPF won't load the bigger pics for me, but even in the thumbnails that looks like a stellar job.

IMG_8591.JPGIMG_8592.JPG
All the fibreglass in the mould, and first shield de-moulded. I pigmented the resin black to save on paint, and if the paint ever wore off, then it's still dark underneath.
All that's left to do is clean it up and paint it.

If you want to try for a decent finish right out of the mould then smooth-ons cast magic powders actually produce good results. They will obviously need some weathering to really look the part, but for a basic all over metal finish they do a good job. And the finish won't wear off because it's bonded to the gelcoat.

I did think of using metal powders for the finish, but it was a rather quick turnaround and didn't have the chance to order any in time. If i do a few more casts however, I'll definitely look into it, thanks.

Awesome job. man! That thing is truly a work of art and your finish on it is incredible, it looks almost like real metal and is very convincingly weathered too.

Really fantastic man. If I had space, I'd be asking how much for a cast. I hope it gets you top marks!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back