WIG MAKING help!! - building wig cap trouble

verdaera

I'm not quite sure what the appropriate forum is for this, I thought it would fit best with make-up... does anyone here have experience building wigs from scratch?
I've decided to start because I have a tiny head and a damn widow's peak that always sticks out of wigs, so store-bought wigs don't fit. Furthermore, I'm trying to complete a classic Princess Leia costume, in which the hair needs to be center parted. I bought what I thought was a small wig cap, which turned out to be too big, so I've tailored the shape to my head. I've hit a plateau though... I just don't know how to handle the lace behind the ears, and the lace on the forehead seems to stick straight out when I would think it should lay down flatter (unless I have it on wrong). My plan was to ventilate along the hairline and center part line, and then sew in wefts for the rest. Any advice would be appreciated, I'm running out of time for my deadline :p

10441231_809274875752356_8554645995806697104_n.jpg10447852_809274945752349_8287360454001517964_n.jpg

I am in the process of making a wig for my Planet of the Apes Cornelius, so I would be interested in any progress pics you might have. Always cool to see other ideas.
As for your difficulties on the lace showing behind the ears - wouldn't the large bun of hair hide everything? The lace on the forehead might need to be cut in the middle and seemed to allow the curve of the forehead.

Well, I was hoping to use this wig as a base for all her other hairstyles, some of which her ears are showing. As for the top lace, seaming it would make the lace very visible and defeat the point. But, as I was unable to get any advice on this, I went with a crappy wig I already had and made it work. I might try and get some wig making books this winter and try building a cap from the ground up. I did learn how to ventilate more hair into the hairline of an existing wig and make the cap smaller, which has been a huge help. Just figuring out how to make a realistic center part for a wig is proving difficult!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back