FanExpo 2014 (August 28-31)

We've been told we're probably only needed for Wednesday set-up and Sunday night tear-down, so it looks like our time is our own for the rest of the convention. I'm excited to get to meet you guys! :)

Got an email today from Fan Expo advertising some more celebrities... "Cosplay Celebrities" :facepalm

Listen, I get the appeal of cosplay and there are certainly folks that are better than it than others... But Celebrities??? **** off. There are people on the floor with more dedication and better costumes. They give the whole hobby a bad name.

The Guest of Honour from the email, is a "celebrity" since she is on that tv show heroes of cosplay that anyone who actually cosplays for fun hates, or so I hear.

The Guest of Honour from the email, is a "celebrity" since she is on that tv show heroes of cosplay that anyone who actually cosplays for fun hates, or so I hear.

"Hero". That's another joke and a disgrace to the word. The cosplay heroes are the folks that visit sick kids and couldn't care less about the cameras.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

"Hero". That's another joke and a disgrace to the word. The cosplay heroes are the folks that visit sick kids and couldn't care less about the cameras.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Yes, definetely NOT the same thing. From what I hear the show heavily sends the message that you need to be in shape, put lots of money into and be meticulous in cosplay, and put down others that are not doing it as a "career". Basically the opposite of what cosplaying is supposed to be about. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as this info is all secondhand for me.

I plan on attending this year for the first time. Anything in particular I should know?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I plan on attending this year for the first time. Anything in particular I should know?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Not really, just don't be overly ambitious with your schedule. There will be lines for almost everything and the place is packed. Take your time and have fun!

I find the "celeb/cosplayers" have a by invite only attitude, or a right of entitlement attitude. Or at least that's what i get from the show. I've watched the show and i have seen better from the so-called unknowns but because they are either not in the loop of friends on the show or because they are local to the region, they are not considered and that's sad...GM

Yes, definetely NOT the same thing. From what I hear the show heavily sends the message that you need to be in shape, put lots of money into and be meticulous in cosplay, and put down others that are not doing it as a "career". Basically the opposite of what cosplaying is supposed to be about. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as this info is all secondhand for me.

My bf thinks they might film an episode of Heroes of Cosplay at FanExpo. I really hope not. As much as I watch the show for the reality tv laughs, I have heard some pretty terrible things about how their filming affects the conventions they go to. I wouldn't put it past Hobbystar to let them film because they'll probably get paid for it. The show puts a lot of emphasis on aspects of cosplay (masquerade competition) that is not important to a large number of cosplayers. The craft and the spirit of making things is what it's about, but the show glosses over construction time and focuses solely on competition footage. I guess making things isn't drama-y enough?

In any case, Jessica Nigri is hot. Whether she's a real celebrity or not. I'd go see her.

The wife and I are going, definitely as Hawkeye and Black Widow, Daredevil and Scarlet witch if the costumer i commissioned comes through in time. Although that's looking doubtful.

Regardless, we've got Green Lantern and Star Sapphire as backups if need be. :)

Alright guys, FanExpo is in 2 weeks! Time to buckle down and finish those costumes.

Our Toronto RPF Pub Night will be Thursday, August 28 at 9pm. We'll meet at Fionn McCool's, which is at 310 Front St W, Toronto, ON M5V 3A4.

This is not affiliated with FanExpo/Hobbystar, it will be an offsite "private" event so you do not have to have a badge or go to FanExpo at all. Come down to the city, chill out, have a beer, and chat!

If you think you might get lost or can't find us, PM me for my cell number so you can text me.

Last edited:
Cue costume panic, eek! :X

Isn't the convention open right up to 9pm on Thursday? We might be late, if we're still needed at the booth until closing. But closing shouldn't take too long, so hopefully we won't be too late! It depends if we're needed, or if they have enough bodies there to put everything away for the night.

Also, people should post what they look like/what costumes they will be wearing, so that we can find each other! I haven't nailed down which costumes are on which day yet (still waiting to hear from friends on what they're wearing, so we can try to coordinate!), but I am a short, white female with brown hair (unless I'm wearing a wig for a costume!), and my husband is a tall, white male with a shaved head and interconnected sideburns/moustaches (no beard). He's fairly distinctive. ;) Once I figure out what I/we will be wearing for costumes that day, I will let you guys know! I can also try to remember to post a pic of us once I'm home tonight.

I keep checking for the schedule, but there isn't one. I can't remember how late the programming usually goes on Thursday cause I personally don't do that much. I go to play video game demos before other people pack the place and make lines 4 hours long. Then I just leave and eat dinner.

My SO is a tall ginger, probably will be wearing a Star Wars themed ball cap. I'm a vertically challenged Asian with a short pixie cut. Man oh man, my bf is probably going to love your husband's facial hair. He used to do the sideburn/mutton chops connected to mustache thing and I told him I'd shave his face in his sleep.

I'm thinking of printing a sign that I can plop on the table that just says HELLO RPF PUB IS HERE

This is us (sorry it's sideways because cellphone):
20140803_140636.jpg

We don't tend to go to a lot of the progamming either, but our friends might need us to help pack up the booth on Thursday after the show closes. I'll check with them either Wednesday while we're setting up, or Thursday during the day, and post here once I know for sure. It'll depend how many bodies are available to help.

The sign is probably a good idea!

A few years ago my husband decided to do Movember, but quickly got lazy about shaving so he grew a full beard instead. At the end of the month, he shaved his chin and cheeks and came down to show me his "new" facial hair and was surprised that I loved it on him, so he's kept it ever since!

I don't think I have a recent picture of the two of us together (other than in costume, which doesn't help because there's wigs and face paint and hats, lol), so here's a couple. Still in costume, but you get the idea!

occ 2014 day 3 IMG_5343.jpg occ 2014 day 2 IMG_1552.jpg

It's possible I will be Catwoman on Thursday, so if I haven't gone back to the hotel to change by 9pm, here's my costume:
occ 2014 day 1 IMG_1284.jpg

I've been going to Fanexpo for years now and the idea of getting together for an RPF themed pub night sounds great. It'd be a great opportunity to meet some local people in the hobby!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back