Painting tips for resin raygun models needed please.

Hans Zarkov

I started building a few solid resin models lately of some rayguns (two Star Trek phasers, the raygun from Forbidden Planet) and have started hitting some walls with painting.
Right now I have 3 guns that have been prepped, primed and have their final finish coat on ( used various colors of Krylon spray paint) I would like to know how you go about painting the detail on by hand with a brush ( what kind of paint do you recommend, acrylic, enamel? what brand? For acrylic, I have quite a few bottles of Cremacoat, would that work? and if you recommend enamel, would Testers in the small bottles work? After the details are painted I plan on sealing it with Krylon clear coat ( gloss and flat where needed, so I'm looking for the right detail paint to work with that)
I really need your help here, this is all new to me.
Thank you

I use a variety of paints that I have on hand. Once you clear coat the first paint, usually with a flat or satin finish, you can go back in and use any type paint, even if it doesn not match your first coat. I have even sprayed rattle can paint in the past as a base coat, then sprayed a matte finish clear. I then have used acrylic on top for washes and details, and even washes of oil paint thined down. Once you get the finished look you want, just tie it all together and lock everything down with another clear coat of your choice. Be it gloss, semi gloss or matte.

For my job I have to paint resin statues at times, and surprisingly I just use cheap acrylics. I airbrush a primer on, then the base coats of acrylics. I then do as I stated above and clear coat it to lock in that base coat and also give me a nice surface to work on without damaging the base.

My suggestion is to just play.... find an old model or junk and play around to find what you are most comfortable with. Take a bunch of thrift store plastic toys and prime them. Then play with different paints and techniques to see what works for you. There are no rules for painting and how to use them. What might work for one person might not work for you, and what works for you might not work for others.

I use a variety of paints that I have on hand. Once you clear coat the first paint, usually with a flat or satin finish, you can go back in and use any type paint, even if it doesn not match your first coat. I have even sprayed rattle can paint in the past as a base coat, then sprayed a matte finish clear. I then have used acrylic on top for washes and details, and even washes of oil paint thined down. Once you get the finished look you want, just tie it all together and lock everything down with another clear coat of your choice. Be it gloss, semi gloss or matte.

For my job I have to paint resin statues at times, and surprisingly I just use cheap acrylics. I airbrush a primer on, then the base coats of acrylics. I then do as I stated above and clear coat it to lock in that base coat and also give me a nice surface to work on without damaging the base.

My suggestion is to just play.... find an old model or junk and play around to find what you are most comfortable with. Take a bunch of thrift store plastic toys and prime them. Then play with different paints and techniques to see what works for you. There are no rules for painting and how to use them. What might work for one person might not work for you, and what works for you might not work for others.
Thank you sir, this exactly the info I needed, much appreciated.:)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back