Buffy the Vampire Slayer The Scythe: WIP

solarcat

Hi!
This is my attempt to recreate The Scythe from the finale of Buffy. I'm not aiming for 100% accuracy, but i want to be close.

This is it from the show:
s7_Buffy_b7x22_04-XL.jpgScythe.png
Here's my first draft. I made the blade out of worbla, and cut the other sections off some broom handle just to gauge the length.
2014-04-26 10.31.30.jpg
Then i persuaded a friend of mine to cast the thing in aluminium. It came out pretty well, though i had to do a ton of work with sandpaper and a grinding wheel to get it how i wanted it. On the real thing, the blade is attached to some rings that go around the shaft, but that just ended up being too complicated, so i'll try to simulate that some other way. The coats of paint i've done so far are Rustoleum spray paint. This is it before and after.
2014-06-20 20.58.23.jpg2014-06-01 13.01.26.jpg
Here's where i am now. The handle is covered in leather from a craft store, the stake is a rake i sharpened, and the metal shaft is a bar of steel from lowes.
2014-06-20 17.21.16.jpg
Next, i'm going to repaint the blade a little darker and more precisely, redo the leather on the handle so it looks more like the show, and make the handguard for the end of the stake. Comments and criticism are welcome. If you've tried to make one of these yourself, be sure to weigh in how you did it.

Small update. I redid the grip and added the little gold rivets. The rivets are thumbtacks i painted, since i'm trying to go low budget on this thing.
2014-06-24 16.36.43.jpg2014-06-24 16.37.10.jpg

Done with the hand guard. It was a pretty quick job with worbla. I think i may need to do some more shading.
2014-06-27 15.51.38.jpg
I'm also working on making the blade connect to the handle the way it does in the show.
2014-06-28 08.45.42.jpg

This is the first I've ever heard of worbla. This stuff seems pretty cool. And nice work on the scythe. I've always liked this prop.

Worbla is certainly worth a look. I've been really pleased with what i can do with it. Its easy to work with and super versatile.

And several hours of bondoing and sanding later...
2014-06-29 13.44.09.jpg2014-07-05 16.15.30.jpg2014-07-05 16.15.43.jpg
You can only barely see that the new bits werent part of the original blade. Totally worth an afternoon of breathing in those bondo fumes.

That's a lot of hard work & looks awesome as a result! It'd be really cool if you could find a way to make the red part of the blade more metallic & shiny too!

Yeah I'm looking into what colors to use if i ever revisit this prop. If anyone has advice on how i could make the paint job look more metallic i'd sure love to hear it!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back