Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

We shouldn't keep comparing R1 with TFA. TFA was unique and likely never to be replicated again in regards to the lead up. R1 and all the films to come will likely have a more traditional marketing plan.

As much as I hate the possibility, you're probably right. Unless you count the Clone Wars movie, Star Wars was absent from the theaters for a decade, and the advanced hype couldn't hurt. Now that it's going to be an annual event for the next few years, there's no need to pile on. But then again, they probably could release something at this point, and I'm sure nobody would have a problem with that. Just tack it on at the end of the credits. I'm just saying..,

As much as I hate the possibility, you're probably right. Unless you count the Clone Wars movie, Star Wars was absent from the theaters for a decade, and the advanced hype couldn't hurt. Now that it's going to be an annual event for the next few years, there's no need to pile on. But then again, they probably could release something at this point, and I'm sure nobody would have a problem with that. Just tack it on at the end of the credits. I'm just saying..,
This was the biggest error that Disney made with TFA.

For some crazy reason, they thought that interest in star wars was gone, that the prequels weren't successful, and that their hardcore fans had given up. They also felt that they had to "win" over new fans.

And the only way to do that was with 'memberberries.

but I remember reading an article that in 2010, Lucas film had had his most profitable year ever. They had moved even more merch that year than at the height of the OT popularity. The point of the article was that he hadn't even had a feature film in 5 years and they were stronger than ever.

Disney simply had to make episode 7. They didn't need to make it with broad strokes. They didn't need to pander or even use nostalgia to win anyone over. And they didn't even need to make a point of distancing themselves from the prequels.

They didn't even need to use sell some myth that there would be less CGI.

Kids loved the prequels. They loved the clone wars. Star wars has the broadest audience if any franchise ever. The fans were already there, millennium falcon or not.

Just make a damn movie

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This was the biggest error that Disney made with TFA.

For some crazy reason, they thought that interest in star wars was gone, that the prequels weren't successful, and that their hardcore fans had given up. They also felt that they had to "win" over new fans.

That is entirely incorrect.

We shouldn't keep comparing R1 with TFA. TFA was unique and likely never to be replicated again in regards to the lead up. R1 and all the films to come will likely have a more traditional marketing plan.

I think you mean EpVIII. ;) I also think Celebration will be a bit too close to release. We'll likely see the first teaser further out than that... but not a year out, as with TFA. Celebration will probably give us the first full trailer, after one or two earlier teasers.

--Jonah

I think you mean EpVIII. ;) I also think Celebration will be a bit too close to release. We'll likely see the first teaser further out than that... but not a year out, as with TFA. Celebration will probably give us the first full trailer, after one or two earlier teasers.

--Jonah

Oh, right, I'm conflating too much product. :)

It was literally just MONTHS before an episode 7 was announced that I came back to Star Wars... The prequels were so awful it tainted Star Wars for me and I got rid of EVERYTHING (kind of like what Bay did to Transformers)

Then I rewatched the OT and was won back... but that was after 10 years of not watching ANYTHING. And the only reason I rewatched the OT was because my wife bought me a lightsaber (still not sure what it is... the 150 or so priced luke FX one?)

But I fell back in love with it...

Then when it was announced they were making episode 7 I immediately thought "Nope. Hard Pass. Screw you, Lucas"

And I know I wasn't the only one.... They needed to earn back our love to accept a new film.

There's no way Lucasfilm having their most successful year had ANYTHING to do with prequel merch.... they had to let everyone know this was STAR WARS again... not anything like the prequels.

Last edited:

It was literally just MONTHS before an episode 7 was announced that I came back to Star Wars... The prequels were so awful it tainted Star Wars for me and I got rid of EVERYTHING (kind of like what Bay did to Transformers)

Then I rewatched the OT and was won back... but that was after 10 years of not watching ANYTHING. And the only reason I rewatched the OT was because my wife bought me a lightsaber (still not sure what it is... the 150 or so priced luke FX one?)

Then when it was announced they were making episode 7 I immediately thought "Nope. Hard Pass. Screw you, Lucas"

And I know I wasn't the only one.... They needed to earn back out love to accept a new film.

There's no way Lucasfilm having their most successful year had ANYTHING to do with prequel merch.... they had to let everyone know this was STAR WARS again... not anything like the prequels.
The funny thing is, the thing that brought me back to star wars was the clone wars series. It actually enabled me to make peace with Lucas. That doesn't mean that I think ATOTC is a good film, but I love spending time in that galaxy...

The other thing I want to mention is that we had a housewarming a month ago. Tere were a few bored 8 year old boys who went to the basement to watch star wars. Of the 6 films I had on Blu-ray, they chose the phantom menace.

Crazy world, eh?

Children don't have formed consciences. You have to forgive them for things like that. Just love them and teach them the errors of their ways.

Children don't have formed consciences. You have to forgive them for things like that. Just love them and teach them the errors of their ways.
My point is not that it was good. It's that it had an audience.

And I actually prefer the phantom menace to TFA.

Finn is as aggravating as jar jar.

Finn may have had some pretty poor dialogue, but he isn't even on the same level as Jar Jar.

A survey would back that up I'm pretty sure.

The PRequals where THEIR star wars, just like the OT was OUR Star Wars, before we became so jaded. And if you can find NOTHING to like about the PT films, you are jaded.

The PT gave us an awesome obi/Fett space battle.
Kamino and the clones.
Geonosis and a jedi battle.
PodRacing.
Darth Maul and our first taste of a REAL Lightsaber battle.
Some Cool new ship designs.
and Revenge of the Sith.

Sure, the acting was NON Existant. characters where WAY Over the top, and some oddly ethnic sounding (from a galaxy far far away). Kid Anakin was a better actor than whiny emo teen anakin (probably not the right word, but sprung to mind). The Romance stopped the movie dead any time it was on screen. hayden and portman where terribly written and had no chemistry. We won't even bring up the abortion that was Jar Jar (poor Ahmed Best).....

But if you take away those things.. there ARE three good movies in there somewhere. you just have to properly edit it, not surround lucas with nothing but yes men too afraid to tell him something is a bad idea.. and you might have gotten something more rewatchable.

Finn may have had some pretty poor dialogue, but he isn't even on the same level as Jar Jar.

A survey would back that up I'm pretty sure.
Of course it's not as bad as jar jar. But it's on the forefront. Jar jar still hung out on the edge of the film. To me, the phantom menace may not have been a great film, but it wasn't a mess. TFA seemed like it was made by a misguided fan club

Finn wasn't even in the same galaxy. It was like he was from a 90's sitcom and ended up in star wars

Of course it's not as bad as jar jar. But it's on the forefront. Jar jar still hung out on the edge of the film. To me, the phantom menace may not have been a great film, but it wasn't a mess. TFA seemed like it was made by a misguided fan club

Finn wasn't even in the same galaxy. It was like he was from a 90's sitcom and ended up in star wars

I don't know who to blame for that.

Although the evidence would seem to be disney.

they wanted something simple and nostalgic to try and re introduce/win people back. and it worked. until people saw the movie :)

I don't know who to blame for that.

Although the evidence would seem to be disney.

they wanted something simple and nostalgic to try and re introduce/win people back. and it worked. until people saw the movie :)
One of my big issues with him (schlocky dialogue aside) is that he didn't have an arc. We are led to believe that he's a bad guy with ptsd. Then he became a good guy.

But he never was a bad guy at all. He was always a good guy. He just couldn't go through with the final exam in bad guy school.

Compare that with nux from fury road. He was a devout bad guy. A believer. But through his interactions with the good guys, he lost his faith. He became disillusioned.

THAT was an arc.

But I fell back in love with it...

And I know I wasn't the only one.... They needed to earn back our love to accept a new film.

when i heard they were making ep7 i didnt believe it... i figured it was like all the other times. internet rumor which lead to nothing... im glad disney rebooted the franchise

The PRequals where THEIR star wars, just like the OT was OUR Star Wars, before we became so jaded. And if you can find NOTHING to like about the PT films, you are jaded.

The PT gave us an awesome obi/Fett space battle.
Kamino and the clones.
Geonosis and a jedi battle.
PodRacing.
Darth Maul and our first taste of a REAL Lightsaber battle.
Some Cool new ship designs.
and Revenge of the Sith.

Sure, the acting was NON Existant. characters where WAY Over the top, and some oddly ethnic sounding (from a galaxy far far away). Kid Anakin was a better actor than whiny emo teen anakin (probably not the right word, but sprung to mind). The Romance stopped the movie dead any time it was on screen. hayden and portman where terribly written and had no chemistry. We won't even bring up the abortion that was Jar Jar (poor Ahmed Best).....

But if you take away those things.. there ARE three good movies in there somewhere. you just have to properly edit it, not surround lucas with nothing but yes men too afraid to tell him something is a bad idea.. and you might have gotten something more rewatchable.

ill probably take some serious heat for this but episode 1, though it has A LOT of problems. i dont mind it. i really hate jar jar...and baby anikan is about 1 step ahead of jar jar on my annoyance meter, but the fight between maul, obiwan and qui gon make up for it to me.

the music i really loved too. there was a lot more practical effects in EP1 then the rest of the prequels. hell in ep2+3 r2 isn't even real... he's all CG. if they took out that 15 minute pod race i think they could have patched together more story...

but yes i admit if i were to watch any of the prequels it be ep1 the others.... heh...

- - - Updated - - -

i though john boyega did an AMAZING job! i understand where you are coming from though. i didnt not care for the stereotypical "Droid please" line... i could have done with out that. but him running after kylo's ship taking off with rey, and screaming "REEEEEEEYYYYY!!!!!" amazing! i get goosebumps everytime i see that part.

i dont know why but another line of his that always makes me laugh is " you got a boyfriend? a cute boyfriend?" what the heck does that suppose to mean? and why would a guy ask it like that? it just makes me laugh lol

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back