Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

I was just ranting on this on facebook.......

Okay so we had "Return of the Jedi" back thirty odd years ago,Luke was supposed to be the big shin dig who brings all into balance....then we get seven and everything went out the window which I can tolerate but now "The last Jedi"???? AGAIN! I can see a new tale with their kids/new cast but this basically saying six meant nothing and the old story ain't over yet.

Lazy writing is what it is me thinks.

Technically Anakin brought balance to the Force when he threw Palpatine down the shaft. I think, like people have said, ROTJ is a title with two meanings. It refers to both Anakin and Luke. The Sith are gone for the time being. I don't think any of this says the OT story isn't over. Well unless they do something very stupid like Luke not trying to recreate a new Jedi org.

If they are truly going to carry on with the Chapter stories, old folks are going to die...

I don't see the big deal. Yes these characters are iconic, but if we don't start moving on, you just end up with Reboot-Luke played by some new blonde kid - or what's already happening with Young Han (which I will let slide cuz Dammit, DONALD GLOVER AS LANDO IS BRILLIANT)

I mean, with TFA, I like the new cast. If Luke showed whiny promise in ANH, Rey certainly could be a great Character by Episode 9. She's already great.

Finn could use some work, but him and Poe buddy movie?! Could be good.

And I haven't been shy on my love of Kylo.

They are off to a great start, and the old crew is going to be left behind... but that's not a bad thing. I would rather see Luke die on screen than have (inevitably) Mark pass, and then we get Threepio walking into a room going "sir sir... Artoo says that Master Luke has died! Saints be praised!" (or however Threepio talks)

Let him go out in a blaze of glory.

Then one day my kid will be taking her kids to a theater to watch an elderly Rey pass on BB-8 to some young British kid while I sit (half robot) in the theater with them STILL enjoying myself cuz I was able to let go of the old guard ages ago.

If they are truly going to carry on with the Chapter stories, old folks are going to die...

I don't see the big deal. Yes these characters are iconic, but if we don't start moving on, you just end up with Reboot-Luke played by some new blonde kid - or what's already happening with Young Han (which I will let slide cuz Dammit, DONALD GLOVER AS LANDO IS BRILLIANT)

I mean, with TFA, I like the new cast. If Luke showed whiny promise in ANH, Rey certainly could be a great Character by Episode 9. She's already great.

Finn could use some work, but him and Poe buddy movie?! Could be good.

And I haven't been shy on my love of Kylo.

They are off to a great start, and the old crew is going to be left behind... but that's not a bad thing. I would rather see Luke die on screen than have (inevitably) Mark pass, and then we get Threepio walking into a room going "sir sir... Artoo says that Master Luke has died! Saints be praised!" (or however Threepio talks)

Let him go out in a blaze of glory.

Then one day my kid will be taking her kids to a theater to watch an elderly Rey pass on BB-8 to some young British kid while I sit (half robot) in the theater with them STILL enjoying myself cuz I was able to let go of the old guard ages ago.

Excellently how I feel and want the Star Wars story to go on in my family (if I ever have one)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically Anakin brought balance to the Force when he threw Palpatine down the shaft. I think, like people have said, ROTJ is a title with two meanings. It refers to both Anakin and Luke. The Sith are gone for the time being. I don't think any of this says the OT story isn't over. Well unless they do something very stupid like Luke not trying to recreate a new Jedi org.

Wait.. what are people upset about?

The title "Return of the Jedi" is kinda... "a Jedi returned"

Luke went to Bespin, fought Vader and lost.

He returns to face Vader, as a Jedi. "Return of the Jedi"

Hey! I'm back - Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight

Then later there's a title "The Last Jedi"

Why is this an issue? Episode 6 wasn't called "Jedi Forever!"

And as a bonus "WTF?"

Why does everything post Ewok's Empire Massacre, have to be good times happily ever after?

I can see my grandfather watching TV and seeing the Vietnam War and saying "What?!?! What was the point of everything I did in WW2?"

i believe so, there is a scene in season 6 the secret missions, or deleted mission that series. yoda is being tested by the will spirits or what ever they are. and he is back on the jedi temple and qui gon is there, dooku, and they are all circled around the tree
I remember that!

clone wars
978510vlcsnap2014030911h38m43s155.png

luke stealing the force trees back
force-tree.png

What if the twist is in plain sight?

Star Wars is in red font, red = Sith, so in full geek mode, Kylo Ren goes full Sith'tard therefore turning himself into an actual Jedi.

Not too far fetched actually. The main bad guy turns good after the realization his prior bad deeds have been for the wrong reasons. Its happened before in some other movie, but the name eludes me, Revenge of the something or other.

To be honest I'm hoping for a bit of change in direction within the series and if Rian does what he does best with his characters we will probably get a different and much harder to predict story. And thats because he understands that any character can act and react very differently under certain circumstances and duress .
Go back into the TFA thread and there was no end of critisism level at that story for being "unoriginal " and a virtual remake. And I didn't disagree with some of that sentiment. But it did the job of reintroducing us to the SW universe, even if it was a mite predictable, whilst bringing the spirit of the franchise back to life.
So I would be well prepared for a shock or two in the next two stories. Rians a talented writer and I hugely enjoyed both "Brick" and "Looper" because its almost impossible to second guess what the main characters will do at any part of the story. Thats his style.
Any new characters that have been introduced in this film will be well worth having a close look at, with both Rey, whose backstory was such an effective blank and Lukes mysterious hideaway probably throwing more than a few curveballs into the mythology.
Either way if there is a change I'm ready for it. I'd like to see new elements introduced into the constant Jedi/Sith story polarity because it makes the character resolutions more difficult to guess.

PS As has been pointed out what the hell are they going to put in the crawl given the story takes place immediately after TFA?

To be honest I'm hoping for a bit of change in direction within the series and if Rian does what he does best with his characters we will probably get a different and much harder to predict story. And thats because he understands that any character can act and react very differently under certain circumstances and duress .
Go back into the TFA thread and there was no end of critisism level at that story for being "unoriginal " and a virtual remake. And I didn't disagree with some of that sentiment. But it did the job of reintroducing us to the SW universe, even if it was a mite predictable, whilst bringing the spirit of the franchise back to life.
So I would be well prepared for a shock or two in the next two stories. Rians a talented writer and I hugely enjoyed both "Brick" and "Looper" because its almost impossible to second guess what the main characters will do at any part of the story. Thats his style.
Any new characters that have been introduced in this film will be well worth having a close look at, with both Rey, whose backstory was such an effective blank and Lukes mysterious hideaway probably throwing more than a few curveballs into the mythology.
Either way if there is a change I'm ready for it. I'd like to see new elements introduced into the constant Jedi/Sith story polarity because it makes the character resolutions more difficult to guess.

PS As has been pointed out what the hell are they going to put in the crawl given the story takes place immediately after TFA?

This?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back