Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Maybe they just chose the best actor for the role?

I can possibly see that argument for Maz. After all not very actor can make a CGI character seem likable and alive, but with Phasma...so cardboard, and lifeless for a character that was supposedly a bad ass leader. I get that JJ liked the Phasma look as it was originally supposed to be the design for Kylo Ren...but just keeping the character because it looked cool while failing to flesh out the character more was a fail and wasted opportunity.

Lupita Nyong'o is recognized as a major voice/MoCap actor. Like Zoe Saldana, she doesn't seem to mind doing this kind of work, as it still goes in her résumé. There are other actors, like Andy Serkis, that make a very nice living from this work. I don't think Lupita's work in TFA as Maz was misplaced. It was a great character, and, if the filmmakers are not idiots, she will be back.

But Andy Serkis seems pretty much stuck in that niche. You can't mention many roles he has had in any major motion picture since 2000 that isn't motion capture or animated.

....no....i suppose not

image-w1280.jpg
1678985,TfpHoAlyl6FoVNR2ljANu6zfG6xNplQYfKbP39Vm3ZLuBIdgcna4JL5SCXXB2wTq8H0SWOYoM3UXHtvYWCQ3+A==.jpg

TMFO-Andy-Serkis-2-1.jpg

1686495,Zwgbda_jZqk8CiIEQHNHaUIKpWMzTyie5ThI7ma58AO6epR_p5BKNKraMwdzchjkxp3GOge0ydyOjPmjX3lZSA==.jpg

004BLS_Andy_Serkis_005.jpg

153979_full.jpg

s-l300.jpg

9974.jpg

as-the-interrogator-extraordinary-rendition-andy-serkis-17209237-500-333.jpg
stormbreaker.jpg
prestige.jpg

008TCT_Andy_Serkis_004.jpg

2Q==

Burke-and-Hare.jpg

1.jpg

31804-30615-0.jpg

He must get fed up in that motion capture outfit

J

Yah, they made some real puzzling casting decisions for TFA.
Gwen Christy as a throw-away character whose face is never seen...
Lupita Nyong'o as a cartoon whose face is never seen...
The Lupita casting really makes me angry. You cast this beautiful woman and then present me with an orange cartoon turtle? You should be ashamed of yourselves.
And how the heck is Phasma coming back? Even if she survived the trash compactor, the fracking planet exploded!

Well if they follow Imperial procedure, they always dump trash before they go into hyperspace. Did the whatever station (seriously don't remember, Death Star III I guess) go to hyperspace before that?

....no....i suppose not
No need to be cheeky. I did check his IMDB page before I made my post. It still stands that the movies where he did mocap work were his bigger movies, with bigger budgets and higher turnover, overall - the ones that people know him from the most.

How many of those movies did you know by hand and how many did you have to look up? How many of these did you yourself go to a movie theatre to see?
Personally, I loved The Prestige, and I found Burke and Hare to be amusing albeit a bit of a let-down (friggin John Landis!), but neither could be called a blockbuster.

Last edited:
Truthfully Phasma had more time to get off the base than Kylo did because it was several minutes later when they ended up in the oscillator. She had a bit to escape that trash compactor.

No need to be cheeky. I did check his IMDB page before I made my post. It still stands that the movies where he did mocap work were his bigger movies, with bigger budgets and higher turnover, overall - the ones that people know him from the most.

How many of those movies did you know by hand and how many did you have to look up? How many of these did you yourself go to a movie theatre to see?
Personally, I loved The Prestige, and I found Burke and Hare to be amusing albeit a bit of a let-down (friggin John Landis!), but neither could be called a blockbuster.

I knew & saw 6 of them,....thats why I jumped on it,......he was the lead actor in he Ian Dury biopic,. shared top billing with Simon Pegg in Burke & Hare,....that along side all the TV work he also does make him an actor that I see popping up all the time,.....he has been on chat shows where the presenters joke with him on how many projects he's involved in,.....voice work,...mo cap & acting......sometimes 4 or 5 projects a year

He's a very talented & busy actor & to say that say that mo cap is where most people know Andy Serkis from, is leaving out over half of his work.,...work where people know him by his image....& blockbusters aren't everything for him, he has done a bit of indie work & supported local projects

J

Yeah, I agree. However, I feel he isn't the best actor around. Not bad, mind you, but his turn as the "Popeye" cook in King Kong took me right out of the movie. Can you say "hammy", I think you can. Even when he was being eaten by a huge bug he was over-acting. Now that he is the "go-to" guy for MoCap, and he has experience as Second Unit director, he has more work than he might easily handle. In the film industry, you take the jobs you can get, and a lot of second tier actors become directors, producers, or go into one craft area or another. More and more even top tier actors are turning to voiceover work and dubbing.

For anybody who can access the BBC iplayer and wants a good look at just how fantastically beautiful the West Coast of Ireland is go watch Wild Ireland: The Edge of the World. Some amazing shots and sequences on/of Skellig St Michael in the first half of it, particularly the dwellings. Episode VIII could be have some stunning moments in it to judge from this!

No picture or video does skellig justice. I was there last summer. It's beyond stunning.

Bear in mind they've recreated the huts and settlement for filming in Kerry and also pinewood. So cut together with some Ariel shots of the island it will be something special.

@RobertIger says he’s seen “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” and it’s “quite good.” He says Carrie Fisher is in a lot of it and not via CG.

Last edited by a moderator:
He pretty much said the exact same thing for TFA and called R1 "Interesting". He's never effusive but he knows how to manage a company that makes great product that sells. Are you seriously questioning Bob Iger as a CEO?

Whoa. Very defensive. I'm just saying 'quite good' doesn't sound as enticing as 'freakin' awesome '

Whoa. Very defensive. I'm just saying 'quite good' doesn't sound as enticing as 'freakin' awesome '

But that's not his nature, he always plays it close to the vest. He's probably one of the top 5 CEO's in the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Who says he's a fan? CEO doesn't mean jack about his taste in movies.

Well, he's a fan of building franchises.

- - - Updated - - -

Who says he's a fan? CEO doesn't mean jack about his taste in movies.

Well, he's a fan of building franchises.

I got quoted twice, does that mean i'm special? :):p

Pretty sure the SW franchise was fully built upon purchase :) You don't mess with the goose that lays the golden eggs.I wouldn't expect him to say anything that wasn't complimentary. Nothing will tank a movie more than the CEO saying 'well, that sucked'...

I got quoted twice, does that mean i'm special? :):p

Pretty sure the SW franchise was fully built upon purchase :) You don't mess with the goose that lays the golden eggs.I wouldn't expect him to say anything that wasn't complimentary. Nothing will tank a movie more than the CEO saying 'well, that sucked'...

I promise I won't be redundant again. :)
Although it's OT for this thread, that's an interesting discussion in and of itself. Was is a fully realized and built upon franchise at the point of sale? I think you can make the argument that as a sole proprietor, Lucas was leaving a lot of opportunity on the table.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back