Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

In trilogies or other long-form films, they may tease a character to see if it has "legs". The Boba Fett character was a virtual throw-away at first, but when he became popular, he showed up more often. Game of Thrones has debuted some characters and then fleshed them out later. Gwenoline Christie was so huge (no pun intended) in GoT that they wouldn't dare just using her as a cameo for much longer. I am sure that Captain Phasma will have some meaty scenes in Last Jedi.

...and it better go on for at least 10 minutes with minimal cuts and in the end, decide its best to create yet another star of death.

Oh he's very eloquent and persuasive so I'm sure you'll get at least 10 minutes!

I also think Phasma got the Boba Fett treatment, make the character look cool and then kill them easily. I will buy it if they show her hold up the spear and say "Hey I found this bad*ss spear in there with the trash! Who threw this away?"

I hope they a really good reason for her to survive the trash compactor. Something that could make her more awesome, and not just an R2 unit ended up saving her.

The problem with Phasma wasn't the brevity of screen time, it was that she was established as this hardcore baddy and she folded like a towel at the first sign of danger. A real baddy wouldn't have put the shield down, she would've taken the blaster bolt to the head like a good soldier. One of my few major quibbles with TFA.

I take most of the First Order as being more about a show of force, but not having a whole lot of experience in real battle situations. I hope in the next movie, Phasma feels a need for redemption after how she folded in TFA. There's potential for good character development there.
Also, I think it's possible Phasma wasn't supposed to be as big a character as fans eventually made her out to be in the lead-up.

Yah, they made some real puzzling casting decisions for TFA.
Gwen Christy as a throw-away character whose face is never seen...
Lupita Nyong'o as a cartoon whose face is never seen...
The Lupita casting really makes me angry. You cast this beautiful woman and then present me with an orange cartoon turtle? You should be ashamed of yourselves.
And how the heck is Phasma coming back? Even if she survived the trash compactor, the fracking planet exploded!

The Lupita casting really makes me angry. You cast this beautiful woman and then present me with an orange cartoon turtle? You should be ashamed of yourselves.
And how the heck is Phasma coming back? Even if she survived the trash compactor, the fracking planet exploded!
Nuke the trash compactor will be the next term of derision.

Maz, even though a yoda rip off, was one of the more interesting things about TFA. did a good job voicing the character. only one problem. her fate gets pretty much forgotten about. we don't really know if she survived the attack once the xwings started firing.

Maybe they just chose the best actor for the role?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back