Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Plenty of people who liked the film could also agree it had Ep IV nostalgia. Most people can also admit this was done on purpose to show the fans that the new owners understood how to make a Star Wars movie feel like Star Wars. They also did a good job introducing the new chars in the movie.

Now if VIII follows as close to EP V I'll have an issue :)

Stand by for some anger management then!

The Ghostbusters reboot didn't fail because it was necessarily bad... it failed because a huge chunk of folks used social media to condemn and mostly before it was even released. It was doomed from the start - because fanboys got their panties in a bunch. It might've been the best film of the year, but ....

Honestly I felt that Ghostbusters was just God awful. They literally ruined a franchise.

Good point about Social Media ruining it from the start however.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Honestly I felt that Ghostbusters was just God awful. They literally ruined a franchise.

Good point about Social Media ruining it from the start however.

it was doomed from the start cause we read how it was starting, thanks to those very helpful sony leaks ;o). add to that the reputation of paul feig movies, and boom. instant recipe for drama and failure. the cast and crew started turning on each other with opposition against this new film long before the fans did ironically ;o)

it would have been more unanimous hate if a michael bay type had signed on to direct though ;o).

- - - Updated - - -

Stand by for some anger management then!

nah. they'll just copy ep 4 again. seems all they can do to try and make it feel like star wars ;o)

Last edited:
There's friends of mine that I hope we never talk about the Ghostbusters reboot.

And I have one friend who is super passionate about need movies, but he would never criticize them because, "they are what they are...Fun"

Screw that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

one of the big problems right now. less people care about the movie and the art of character creation and arcs, then they do about just sitting their butt down for 2 hours and forgetting the world exists.

You wind up with a contradiction there. Regardless of how hard it is, it IS possible to be mined and cut down to size as evident in the fact the empire mined them for the death stars (plural) and jedi got small pieces for their sabers. So, if it can be cut, the odds of an explosion the size of a moon not incinerating it are low.. Really really impossibly low. Then getting through the atmosphere - when it's 2 inches long to begin with - just no. If the space craft don't enter the atmosphere at the right speed, and right angle, with enough insulation/deflecting material pointed in the right direction, they burn up. So, a 2" crystal surviving a moon-sized explosion followed by getting through the atmosphere just isn't going to happen. Even after than, WTH would luke even think to go look for it?

Also, are kyber crystals even colored? The only cinematic one scene is Jyn's and it was white.
Not so sure about that evaluation. The DS2 was not in a free orbit, but rather was in a fixed space above the Endor based deflector array. Held by repulsors or some such thing. Was also pretty low. As such, it would be entering the atmosphere at relatively low velocity, not considering the velocity imparted by the explosion itself. Falling from great height (remember that guy who jumped from the edge of space with a parachute?) doesn't mean burning up. It's the orbital velocities that do that.
Depending on how far down the shaft the saber fell, there would be a fair bit of material between the epicenter and the crystal. Taking an otherwise nearly instantaneous impulse and spreading it out over even a fraction of a second might make the difference. Just saying, it wouldn't be the craziest thing in the Star Wars universe for Vader's Kyber to make it to Endor.
Now all the other Kybers, the ones presumably powering the superlaser, were likely destroyed as they were the fuel for the explosion itself.

Last edited:
The only way to make a movie "a bad one" is to make a bad movie. The clincher is to also have no one go see it, and it goes into the proverbial toilet of oblivion until rescued by its own horrible notoriety on the web via Rotten Tomatoes. Then, of course, people who want to disagree with everyone else, start to turn the turd into a diamond by classing the movie as a "classic" of whatever genre it represents.

I thought for a second I clicked on the wrong thread...

I'll just point you in this direction
----> http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=263726&highlight=Ghostbusters+post+release

Oh wait, it's locked. Wonder why.

just trying to point out that there are crazy responses EVERYWHERE. It's not just on Facebook anymore. it's spread to every corner of the internet, and one can't escape them these days. that thread was just a good example of how crazy things could get ;o).

the best one can do, is either ignore if you feel a confrontation coming, or agree to disagree and try to keep your good humor about you. it's about the only defense mechansim one has these days sometimes :). Especially if you can't decide if the crazy person in question is genuine about their feelings, just looking to stir up trouble, trying to be the biggest loudest voice in the room, or in some cases, could be a studio plant trying to divide the fan base.

Anyway, back on topic to the spoilers. you're all also forgetting something
what was that big explosion the emperor encountered at the b ottom of the shaft? maybe the lightsaber hit something similair? I know the retcon was that it was 'the force exploding' as the emporer died.. but it WAS a reactor shaft......could the saber even survive that?

just trying to point out that there are crazy responses EVERYWHERE. It's not just on Facebook anymore. it's spread to every corner of the internet, and one can't escape them these days. that thread was just a good example of how crazy things could get ;o).

the best one can do, is either ignore if you feel a confrontation coming, or agree to disagree and try to keep your good humor about you. it's about the only defense mechansim one has these days sometimes :). Especially if you can't decide if the crazy person in question is genuine about their feelings, just looking to stir up trouble, trying to be the biggest loudest voice in the room, or in some cases, could be a studio plant trying to divide the fan base.

Anyway, back on topic to the spoilers. you're all also forgetting something
what was that big explosion the emperor encountered at the b ottom of the shaft? maybe the lightsaber hit something similair? I know the retcon was that it was 'the force exploding' as the emporer died.. but it WAS a reactor shaft......could the saber even survive that?
Good question in your spoiler tag , always wondered that.

I don't disagree with that assessment in the slightest, LOL. I have been close with this guy for about 7 years now; however, he has proven to be unreliable and irresponsible time and time again. Our 3 month "break" was one of those times which I didn't really miss out on anything.

Following the last Avenger's movie release, I said the film was just okay. He cancelled our plans for the next two weeks, and actually took me and my (at the time) girl friend home almost immediately. No one spoke in the car for that ride at all, and it was VERY weird.
Its funny that you bring this up, and I dont mean to offend anyone or anything, but do you think he might be autistic? Im going through something similar with a friend of mine who we have been friends for over 20 years, and he is kind of the same way about things. He took an autism test, and he got 45 out of 50 as being on the autism spectrum. Cause no offense, but that seems REALLY weird and awkward, something someone with aspergers might do. He doesnt understand how society or people work in some regards. Just something to think about. But after reading post #3794, it seemed even more so.

There wasn't a franchise to ruin. There wasn't a Ghostbusters movie for 27 years prior to this one.
Is Fury Road not part of the franchise because it was made how ever many years past the last one? I guess Im confused on whats considered a franchise, IP, and what not. Cause with Ghostbusters 2016, that effectively killed 2 franchises with one stone.

But anyway, back on topic... I really hope thats not DV's saver crystal. While a cool idea, the logistics of finding it seem kind of ridiculous. Im still waiting for an explanation as to how the hell Maz got lukes lightsaber.

Ruined a "potential" franchise

Yeah but fans of the franchise WANTED it to come back... not so much now.
Again, arguably - those that ruined the "potential" franchise could be looked at those that were a part of the campaign against the movie (again, most of which were prior to it even being released). Again, reviews were mostly positive - I didn't see it, I'm not sure if I would've even seen it if it were Ghostbusters III starring Murray and Aykroyd (and it's documented that Murray wasn't into it - but, he did say nice things about this one).

Ghostbusters came out in 1984 (and II in 1989) - the franchise was dead, they were a part of history. Some franchises can pull off a 20-year sequel (Star Wars), some are a little wobbly (Indy) and some kinda fall flat (Superman Returns). Star Wars really pulled off the not-a-reboot reboot bit pretty well, some other movies did the same. Maybe this is what Ghostbusters needed for this vocal group of fans. To me, Ghostbusters isn't Star Wars or Superman or Indy or Star Trek.

Ghostbusters never had a chance because some of the fans couldn't let go (and again, if it were Star Wars - I'd be kicking and screaming). They couldn't let go that it was Venkman and Stantz, some because the new one's are girls or that comedy writer is doing it - some arguments got somewhat political and I'm avoiding all that. That's cool, I can understand that... but, to campaign against a film before it's even released without a viewing isn't productive either. It's not going to bring back Murray and the gang and it's just going to cement that it's a dead franchise.

As an aside, my nieces liked the movie (I don't know if the nephew saw it). They liked the originals, too... I kinda wish they could've had a sequel (or franchise) that they could go see and enjoy. Back in the 80s my sisters needed to dragged to see a Star Wars or sci-fi movie, not as much with my nieces at the same ages as their mothers - some fanboys are threatened by that.

I've always thought as a whole, the originals were overrated - but, I also have a distaste for most things Melissa McCarthy (and I'm not a Bill Murray fan, either... in fact, she reminds me a lot of him in his early days). I do understand folks love these movies and this new one might've been a little too dismissive of that and should've worked with and treated the originals a little more delicately.

While a cool idea, the logistics of finding it seem kind of ridiculous. Im still waiting for an explanation as to how the hell Maz got lukes lightsaber.

well, it did fall down a shaft.

Lets assume it's bottomless.

maybe it fell through the atmosphere and landed up in space and possibly survived....(although that kind of takes back to the plot hole bit)...

Maybe it's not a bottomless shaft. maybe lando knew it was there and someone sent him to retrieve it as a gamble?

maybe the imperials got it on a search from vaders orders, it was left in a vault...and the vault got raided by the alliance?

I don't think Zahn ever gave an explanation how LUUKE got it either. Just that I think he found both the saber and hand and that's how luuke came to be.

Lots of people on here sound like movie critics, and like movie critics they usually tear movies apart and detail every flaw and so fourth....as for VII ...I loved it, found it to be a good start to a new story to continue the whole story, Rogue 1 my wife didn't like as much, she doesnt like going backwards in a story....Harrison Ford wanted out of the francise and his exit was good, like when Luke and Darth Vader killed the Emporer,Im looking forward to VIII, and then onto VIIII, why cant people just get along

Lots of people on here sound like movie critics, and like movie critics they usually tear movies apart and detail every flaw and so fourth....as for VII ...I loved it, found it to be a good start to a new story to continue the whole story, Rogue 1 my wife didn't like as much, she doesnt like going backwards in a story....Harrison Ford wanted out of the francise and his exit was good, like when Luke and Darth Vader killed the Emporer,Im looking forward to VIII, and then onto VIIII, why cant people just get along

we can get along so long as people don't take ones opinion personally ;o).

these days, that happens less and less and less and less ;o).

if everyone had the same opinion, we'd be all boring drones :).

i just got a serious sense of deja vu writing that :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back