Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

Yeah I remember it, or think I do, but I was going to be surprised if it had been on the big screen and I somehow didn't notice.

Thanks, good to know. Which still supports the idea that they had to script a different direction for the NR by create a new planet to be destroyed later that was NOT Corusant . Otherwise they could have written it differently ,given that we see the liberation , or rather what we know to be as just celebrations now ,on Corusant at the end of the ROTJ. If the Empire remained there as a last stand, what is it like now, and who remains hidden there? Does the Underworld now have a stronger influence on how Corusant operates at all levels.

I may be way off, but I think the rotating capital thing was just created so they could blow up something and they didn't want to destroy Coruscant. The whole point of the Rebellion was to restore the Republic. Yeah Coruscant became corrupt, but it's THE center of the Republic. It was for thousands of years (unless Disney changes that...).

I also don't remember any giant tree in the Jedi Temple. Unless the tree had some Force relevance, I don't know why the Emperor would care whether they had samples. That's kind of lame.

I am hoping that Rey (or chewie) have "reconfigured "or "retuned" the Falcons engines so its signature can no longer be tracked. Its the obvious solution to everybody being able to track the ship anywhere in the universe. Its such a quick fix for one of the biggest issues I have with the TFA.

My understanding is that you have to know the signature and be very close to see it on your scanners. As in Han and Chewie were passing Jakku and picked up the signature the falcon gave off as it left Jakku in thier vicinity. NOT ANYWHERE in the galaxy BUT CLOSE to them in scanner range. It happens in Rebels too when the Ghost is first detected by the Empire. They escape and when they return they cloak their signal as the empire now knew the signal it gave off. It's not rocket science dude.

Ben

A snippet from Star Wars Wikia:

"Cloaking devices
, which were highly expensive to build and very difficult to obtain, could be used to hide all manner of starships, from huge capital ships to starfighters. These devices, based on and utilizing stygium crystals, disrupted the signal output of ships they were placed on, rendering them invisible to traditional scanning technologies and to visual inspection"

Obviously the signal output that the falcon gives out is know to Han And Chewie and maybe others too especially since the First Order stems from the Empire and the Falcon has had many encounters with the Empire,and as Ren mentions Imperial archives in the movie then I'd say that he would know the signal the Falcon gives off. Not to mention he probably grew up with the falcon too. Obviously the signal is not 'Hey I'm the Falcon' but some sort of number or code. Maybe like your mobile phone signal or ISP address.

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:

A snippet from Star Wars Wikia:

"Cloaking devices
, which were highly expensive to build and very difficult to obtain, could be used to hide all manner of starships, from huge capital ships to starfighters. These devices, based on and utilizing stygium crystals, disrupted the signal output of ships they were placed on, rendering them invisible to traditional scanning technologies and to visual inspection"

Obviously the signal output that the falcon gives out is know to Han And Chewie and maybe others too especially since the First Order stems from the Empire and the Falcon has had many encounters with the Empire,and as Ren mentions Imperial archives in the movie then I'd say that he would know the signal the Falcon gives off. Not to mention he probably grew up with the falcon too. Obviously the signal is not 'Hey I'm the Falcon' but some sort of number or code. Maybe like your mobile phone signal or ISP address.

Ben

Thanks, I never knew that or even heard of cloaking devices in the SW universe. I'm disappointed though because I preferred SW less Star Trekkie teckie. However, it is rocket science dude if you watch (and listen) to the DVD about tracking ships.
I missed it twice at the cinema, BUT with a couple of DVD viewings the FO "tracks" the Resistance Recon ship to its "hidden" base via its hyperspace jump, without knowing (a) its a Reconship of the Resistance ,that just happens to be passing close to SKB (b) without previously knowing and identifying its signature ,like the Falcon. So watching this you can assume everyship can be tracked anywhere ,through hyperspace, once you've simply spotted it and read its engine signiture Check (with the subtitles) when Hux talks to Snoke about how he locates the Resistance base. Its definitely how they know where the base is ,though it seemed a fairly stupid line anyway, given that Han flew the Falcon, which he knew could be tracked anywhere by its signature, straight there.Kylo Ren definitely knows his fathersship. Which is why its fairly daft for Rey to then fly the Falcon straight to Luke at the end.
Also though its not in the film it in the novel that Unkar Plutt, chases the Falcon to Maz's Castle using the same tech and gets his arms ripped off by Chewie. Once you've picked it up you can't ignore it. Its a critical fact that moves the action scenes along. Tracking devices I'm happy with, that in the OT, but tracking hyperspace engine signatures across the universe just by apparently spotting them, I am not.
BUT , in my tongue in cheek post , I was referencing how they fix most things in the Star Trek universe.Given that Rey has an in depth knowledge of starships, it would be a fairly simple thing for her to "remodulate", "reshield" or "recalibrate" the Falcons engines to render this rather annoying plot hole null and void. One line should do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

*ahem*

"Captain Needa -- the ship no longer appears on our scopes."
"Impossible! No ship that small has a cloaking device!"

Thanks for that reminder IP ,its very early in the morning and I'm not at my most awake. Well, at least that proves that although the Empire knew the Falcon back then even they could not trace it to its next destination by its signature alone , at least not without attaching a tracking device as they did in "A New Hope". And I guess technology moves on , I just hope we don't get a "trans-hyperspace" engine any day soon.
And your reminder is a very good example how one line of careless "explain it away" dialogue changes the way the SW universe can be expected to operate. Certainly we never get to see any examples of cloaked ships in the rest of the films. May be the next few ?

Last edited:

Was it canon that Darth Maul's ship had a cloaking device? I remember reading that it did but not sure it's canon. If so, that already contradicts what Needa said in TESB since the Infiltrator is certainly no larger than the Falcon. That always bugged me...

Was it canon that Darth Maul's ship had a cloaking device? I remember reading that it did but not sure it's canon. If so, that already contradicts what Needa said in TESB since the Infiltrator is certainly no larger than the Falcon. That always bugged me...

Since it was never mentioned in the film, not likely canon.

Needa might not know everything, he's obviously not the smartest officer in the Empire. :lol It was supposedly built with Sith technologies. So even though Needa thinks smaller ships don't have cloaking, that doesn't mean that Sidious didn't find the tech somewhere. Also this cloaking isn't like ST cloaking. The ship doesn't disappear, it just makes it difficult to detect. It would be more like U.S. stealth tech. Either way, Needa's comment and some of the old EU make that tech rare to almost non existent. I hope it stays like that.

Fair credit to the set crews, these last few days of photographs give the film the kind of OT vibe that the earlier ones didn't quite manage. And it makes so much sense to build Ach-to on the mainland. Not only was the island a conservation area that limited the shooting time there but it was an incredibly risky (Mark H almost had a bad fall there) place to shoot and getting across to it time consuming and difficult. At least this way it is a win all round for everyone.

After seeing that the TFA forest battle was a set, and not on-location-shooting, I will never criticize choosing a set over on-location ever again. If it's that convincingly done, it's a win-win. You have a set that looks completely real, and you can control the elements.

After seeing that the TFA forest battle was a set, and not on-location-shooting, I will never criticize choosing a set over on-location ever again. If it's that convincingly done, it's a win-win. You have a set that looks completely real, and you can control the elements.

Personally, I always prefer a set. To me, it helps the tone stay within a fantastical story

Dagobah, Cloud city, the emporers' throne room, echo base....

Compare that to much of Endor, which felt like it was right out of SG-1

With CGI augmentation, just a minimal set can be very convincing and also more "film-friendly" than trudging to far off locations. Although, I seem to see a very identifiable "CGI" look to the backgrounds on Game of Thrones and other projects. In budgetary terms, logistics are the deciding point in any production, and location filming is looked upon as a drag on the economy in many cases. TFA shot in an actual desert because it was very near a world-class city with 5-star accommodation and amenities which was more than thrilled to have the shoot take place there.

I think it's silly to say one would "always" prefer a set over location shooting. They both have their pros and cons in filmmaking, though I prefer a real-world, tangible location whenever possible. If it isn't possible or feasible, a well done set suffices nicely. The forest set in TFA was very impressive indeed. Something on the scale of the the ROTJ forest battle would've very possibly looked ridiculous on a set back then and there's nothing "SG-1" looking about the redwood forest. If anything, SG-1 looks "ROTJ"...

I don't care whether it's a set, location, or set/location with CGI extension. As long as it fits the story and looks good.

Read somewhere we will get to see who the Copollia is. The person the Jakku patron claimed to have shot when Finn asked him for water.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back