Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

No it wasn't.

It didn't reboot anything. Using the term "reboot" is completely incorrect, as that implies that it is somehow resetting the story universe. TFA had OT characters in it...reprising their roles. There isn't any way that it can be a reboot, since it's a sequel.

Perhaps that seems pedantic. It isn't. We should be more careful about the words that we use, and in turn the thoughts that go along with them. Tagging TFA as a reboot puts people in mind of it being a replacement, when in fact it is a direct sequel. The fact that it had similar elements to ANH (which you acknowleded, and even said that you understood why that was done) doesn't make it a reboot.

There has been talk that TLJ will follow the ANH/ESB pattern--which is all speculation, mixed with some stringing together of one or two stroy elements to try to make the connection that "See.... they're going to do it just like ANH/ESB".

The truth is, we don't know that. And we won't know that until December. So until then we should probably refrain from using phrases like "ESB rehash confirmed" because it just belies a cynical state of mind that rightfully shouldn't exist at this stage.

You're right, I meant rehash, not reboot. As for my ESB/TLJ concerns...I hope you're right. I liked TFA tremendously and I'm definitely rooting for TLJ to be awesome.

I'm still of the mind that TFA "rehashed" (for lack of a better term) bits of the entire original trilogy. Saying it's a ANH reboot/rehash ignores so much of the big picture.

I'd call it creatively bankrupt

Absolutely. I'm finding this situation insane. Star Wars offers such a wide creative field, it originally pumped new life into sci-fi in such a playful and passionate way, yet this is it's legacy now? Repurposed TIE's, Vader junior, a chrome stormtrooper and bigger badder AT-AT's? Where's the vision for this?

And I still can't get behind the First Order as the bad guys - they just feel like they've been airdropped (from nowhere) into their bigger brothers clothes. One movie in already and their supposed antagonist presence doesn't feel earned or satisfyingly established.

Id call it a Remix.:lol
Desert planet, snow planet, forest planet, cantina. GRAFLEX! Female Luke, orange Yoda, holographic master, shiny Boba Fett, bad guy in a mask. FALCON!

Shiny Boba Fett? WHERE?

I must be blind as Han Solo coming out of carbon freeze, 'cuz I totally missed that, or is Shiny Boba Fett going to be in TLJ? I've been trying so dilligently to stay away from this thread, now I've got to look back through it.

Military still uses planes, helicopters, trucks and the like. I'm not sure why it's not okay to have the newer generation AT-AT in the new movie - they even showed a newer version in TFA if you didn't blink and miss it.

I'm expecting an ESB rehash, but just from hearing there are new Imperial walkers, I'd say that's not enough yet. They were in TFA so it's not a leap to assume they would show up eventually. I really hope all the people saying that they were just being careful with TFA are right because if they do that again I'm done with this series of movies.

Phasma?! Yah...no. Let's just pretend noone is trying to say Phasma is the new Boba Fett... like, EVER!

Everyone knows why Boba Fett was so cool, part of it was his lack of appearances in the films, part of it was because he said enough with just a nod. We all choose to ignore him screaming like a wuss on the way into the Sarlacc Pit, wait he did what, huh? I don't think so, no he didn't, ;) I certainly believe it would have been better for Luke to have chopped Boba Fett down with his lightsaber rather than Han kinda spankin' him with the spear thing accidentally, or for that matter, Han should have shot him straight through his visor (without provocation too!), but hey, it's a PG movie. Besides, the way he "died" gives an aire of uncertainty as to the fate of our beloved bounty hunter, and offers the possibility of his escape from the jowls of the Sarlacc Pit.

Chromed Stormtrooper... not that cool. One of my sculpture proffessors was fond of saying "You can polish a turd, but all you have is a shiny turd."

Regular ol' Stormtroopers are cool because of the uniformity and structure of an assembled mass of military personnel.

As a kid I always thought the Emperor's Guards were some of the most frightening characters in the movie, and they didn't say a thing! You just knew they were there to handle whatever came their way. They stood out because there was only a couple of them, they were blood red, and looked completely unlike any other character in the movie.

With regard to vehicles, I'll say two things: As long as they add to the story and aren't just some lame attempt to reimagine an existing vehicle from previous films or are added to show off in a visual effects sort of way, I'm all for new creations. And second, as long as we don't end up with any more flying fudgsicles, I think we'll be O.K.

Phasma was awesome in the trailer.

Then the film happened.

Personally, I think the scene where they threaten to put her in the trash compactor might be the worst bit of dialogue in the entire franchise. Even worse than the padme/Anakin love scenes from attack of the clones

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Its inevitable ,given how the story of TFA was constructed, filmed and concluded that a large number of carry over storylines will make "TLJ" resemble "TESB". There has been enough analysis on YouTube between TFA and ANH for me not to want to go into why again.
But whilst there are bound to be parts of "TLJ" that will be forced to resemble "TESB" , particularly with Reys story ,I think the very fact that Rian has written this and it has a wider range of characters to play with that it will feel very much less like it in the end.
For example the structurally reversal of the TESB story,with the huge climax coming first with the openning attack on the rebels on Hoth will likely be replaced with several smaller but effective action set pieces before the climax this time. And the pace of it is likely to be far more even if not a little more frantic than TESB towards the end.
Lukes lengthy quest for a hidden Jedi (found him already she has ) will be a bit different with Rey.And there appears to be a whole other thing going on with the Force in this movie ,Snoke is already a well featured presence in TFA, and this makes it feel like it is likely to open up everything far more quickly and broadly than TESB.
Of all the SW films TESB is my favorite , it edges ANH out only in that it developes the characters more roundly and unexpectantly and ,of course ,it has AT- ATs in it. I honestly believe that from this film we are far more likely to see more clearly the seeds of the new directions the saga will continue in, bearing that in mind and with just one more film to go, they have said they intend to stretch this into a decade at least. The "unknown region" may have a bigger influence on the SW universe than first imagined.
So I can see why it doesn't matter for the moment that we retread some old ground with the new series. Most of us can live with that for now , so that changes can be gradually brought in so they won't feel too jarring.
After all, Han has gone ,and sadly Leia inevitably will have to follow. But I really am excited to see Luke again. Mark did such a fantastic piece of work with his character in TESB and he so deserves to lead the new series into both new and unexplored territory with this film.

Last edited:
After all, Han has gone ,and sadly Leia inevitably will have to follow. But I really am excited to see Luke again. Mark did such a fantastic piece of work with his character in TESB and he so deserves to lead the new series into both new and explored territory with this film.

I'm sure it's been said elsewhere, but the tragic passing of Carrie adds a whole other layer of disappointment to TFA for me, and I'm sure plenty of others. When TFA was announced, the boy in me was so excited, something I thought never possible was going to happen; we were going to see Han, Luke, and Leia all together again. Now, that can never happen, no matter what plot device they could dream up.

Sadly, VIII and IX were doomed before even being made by the pile of junk that was TFA. Not to mention, the scene reuniting Han and Leia dreamed up by J.J. and crew made any scene featuring Jar Jar feel profound and compelling by comparison.

^ugghh.

If you detest it so badly. then why are you here discussing the next one?

I'm not saying you have to like it... to each their own. But if you feel *this* strongly in the negative toward the Star Wars we're now being given, then why come discuss it at all?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back