Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

that's about all i remember. basic character traits.

There's 'guy who's a rip off of han solo with a name that sounds like calrissian'.

theres 'gun toting guy who for some reason decided to die in a pointless bravado revenge attack'...

there's 'comic relief tentacle love imperial pilot guy.'

there's 'guy from clone wars episode who is in this movie for some reason'

there's 'guy who is blind and fights like a ninja and is apparently a force fanboy'

didn't even care enough about them to learn their names.

At least I'll give Fin and Rey that honor :).

There,...you see,....you remember more than you let on......good

There was quite a lot of main characters,....& I thought they got quite a lot of screen time to flesh them out,...an excellent addition to the OT

J

that's about all i remember. basic character traits.

There's 'guy who's a rip off of han solo with a name that sounds like calrissian'.

theres 'gun toting guy who for some reason decided to die in a pointless bravado revenge attack'...

there's 'comic relief tentacle love imperial pilot guy.'

there's 'guy from clone wars episode who is in this movie for some reason'

there's 'guy who is blind and fights like a ninja and is apparently a force fanboy'

didn't even care enough about them to learn their names.

At least I'll give Fin and Rey that honor :).

Where to start...

Cassian is nothing like Han Solo, they have COMPLETELY different personalities.

Baze Malbus, while one of the less explored characters, died after coming back into the religion of the force, resigning himself to death. Nothing pointless whatsoever.

Bodhi Rook, in my opinion, was a very interesting character, in fact he may be my favorite of the Rogue team. When was he comic relief?

Can't much argue about Saw,he did sort of feel like he was just stuck in there.

Chirrut Imwe... what you say about him just doesn't compute. I'm sorry mods if this breaks any rules, but... would yo I call a devout Christian or Buddhist a 'fanboy' of their religion? I certainly hope not.

Seems like you decided to dislike them before you even saw them .

it's been a while since i'veseen it, but how exactly did they flesh out characters?

We hardly know anything about Rey or Finn other than the basics.
The guy in the beginning who got killed bey kylo was just a plot device..
Kylo himself is just a whiny brat who is angry at something, we know not what.

I don't know. sometimes i think people are willing to let things pass just so long as a few tie fighters and classic style effects are thrown at them.
It even worked for me when Rebels started..but soon you realized there was so little to that show, one only had to watch it once and that was it.

As for the landing strip.. did they ever refer to it as that? Maybe it was just a big star ship landing and staging area, only it was big enough for them to perform a crash landing on without having to harm people? and what is wrong with comedy? ESB has great moments of it. R2 getting shocked by the wrong coupling. R2 getting spit out and giving us his first dialogue of speech. Even Vader, unintentionally, gets a moment to shine with some lando moments.

all dark and grim and gritty is not only depressing, but down right boring.
Quirky characters isn't the same as being fleshed out.

"You got a boyfriend? You got a cute boyfriend?" Has to be the worst line since Anakin complained about sand.

Is he asking if her boyfriend is cute? He sounds more interested in her boyfriend than her. Doesn't he have PTSD?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm late to the party in this topic thread, so my apologies if someone (or several someones) have already mentioned this -- 94 pages of posts is a ton of pages, and I'm sure I missed a lot. But...

Know what I did last night? Had a bachelor night and was scanning my DVD shelves for something to watch while the missus was out, and spotted "The Godfather." Hadn't seen that in years, but seeing it sparked a thought and instead of watching "The Godfather" I grabbed "The Godfather Part II."

Holy yikemoly, what a great way to do Episode VIII! Seriously, GF Pt. II was perfect in the way that it seamlessly continued the story while at the same time showed us all the past history of the Corleones.

If they did Episode VIII that way, we'd not only get to see what happens next, but also what the hell happened to Kylo to **** him off, Luke going into self exile, background on both Snoke and the Knights of Ren, we'd get to see a bit more of Han Solo, and etc. and etc.

A.J.

GF2 is one of the all time great sequels, but not sure how the intercut flashbacks would work in SW, which R1 aside is a fairy tale and therefore by definition a little simplistic. Having said that, a SW OT heroes version of the final family shot in GF2 would make me ball my stupid eyes out.

Where to start...

Cassian is nothing like Han Solo, they have COMPLETELY different personalities.

Chirrut Imwe... what you say about him just doesn't compute. I'm sorry mods if this breaks any rules, but... would yo I call a devout Christian or Buddhist a 'fanboy' of their religion? I certainly hope not.

Seems like you decided to dislike them before you even saw them .

How so? both start out as rough and tough characters willing to kill and both wind up in the same spot. only one starts out working for the rebellion.

I'm assuming imwe is the blind guy?

Possible Spoilers here. I will try not to get too involved. stop reading now if you don't want to risk it.

Is it stated anywhere that he's a former jedi? if so,I retract the statement. i'd need a second viewing to see if his background was explained properly. If Not....and it was my assumption that he wasn't.....
That would mean he is a student of the ways of the force without being a true force sensative, and probably whipped up the bo staff to immitate a lightsaber. I'd go further, but that would get into more spoiler territory. but considering that most people dismiss the force and the jedi as nothing but hoey and don't give them a second thought, to me he came off as a force fan boy. a worshiper of super heroes like we do superman only his superman is a proven real hero.

did that explain it better?

....and in theory, if you give a monkey a typewriter, eventually they'd write Hamlet. Lucas didn't spend all the time between Jedi and Episode 1 writing, he had other things going on.

One could still argue the basics of the story - heck, maybe even the script itself aren't necessarily the issue with those movies.
I totally disagree with you there. There is too much time spent on things that dont matter, the dialogue is ridiculous, and so much of it could be condensed into less movies. The casting, the writing, the plot, everything sucks. Hell even the creatures suck, its like they were designed by a 5 year old. Imagine what a real filmmaker could do with as much tools at his disposal as george did. So much of it was convoluted and uneccessary. And has anyone ever proven that monkey hamlet thing? So what youre saying is that eventually a monkey could come up with something better than George Lucas did with the prequels. :lol

I wasnt that big a fan of Rogue One, but Imagine if Gareth Edwards had the keys to the franchise and basically unlimited money. Imagine the story he would tell if he had carte blanche. Hell, I bet one of you guys on here could come up with, and write a better story for the most BADASS DUDE IN THE GALAXY. Nobody, I mean NOBODY wanted to see Anakin Skywalker as a little squirt on a rock in the outer rim. Gimme a break. You know what I want to see? Darth Vader on his witch hunt of the Jedi. I could watch 3 whole movies of just that alone.

- - - Updated - - -

it's been a while since i'veseen it, but how exactly did they flesh out characters?

We hardly know anything about Rey or Finn other than the basics.
The guy in the beginning who got killed bey kylo was just a plot device..
Kylo himself is just a whiny brat who is angry at something, we know not what.

I don't know. sometimes i think people are willing to let things pass just so long as a few tie fighters and classic style effects are thrown at them.
It even worked for me when Rebels started..but soon you realized there was so little to that show, one only had to watch it once and that was it.

As for the landing strip.. did they ever refer to it as that? Maybe it was just a big star ship landing and staging area, only it was big enough for them to perform a crash landing on without having to harm people? and what is wrong with comedy? ESB has great moments of it. R2 getting shocked by the wrong coupling. R2 getting spit out and giving us his first dialogue of speech. Even Vader, unintentionally, gets a moment to shine with some lando moments.

all dark and grim and gritty is not only depressing, but down right boring.

that being said, yeah. i don't miss the CRAZY aspects of georgey as he got older. he really was getting a bit out of control. but i feel the creativity was still there, even if he only came up with the basic ideas and others fleshed thme out to what we know.
Dude. What the hell else do you want to know? They can only fit so much into a 2 hour movie. And obviously that movie is bigger than just those 2 characters. Youre saying that TFA was dark and grim and gritty and boring? :facepalm

- - - Updated - - -

It's just the way we are introduced to the main characters in TFA & in R1,.....there is more care to give them more three dimensions,.....when little Anakin leaves his mum in The Phantom Menace.....there's nothing,....John Williams score is there,....but you feel nothing,.....when Jyn sees the Hologram of her father & later says goodbye to him on the platform, it hits you in the heart.....Even when you see the little kid Rey screaming after a craft leaving her behind in her Force Vision,....you have that depth because you know that since then she has had a terrible life,....on her own

Theres nothing like that in the Prequels,.....you just watch, disconnected

There is a lot of comedy in the OT,....subtle comedy,.....the Han in the Death Star being convinced by Luke to rescue the Princess still gets me....but in RotS, the slapstick comedy interwoven with decapitation scenes just doesn't work,....it shows that the director is assembling the shot scenes with no clear vision

"I can be dark,....I can be funny"

No George,.....you cant

J
George likes to have his main character talk about sand. Can we all agree that George Lucas sucks as a writer, and needs people to take control that know how people act? I swear to god the man is a replicant and doesnt understand emotions, or how people actually think. Everything he actually writes is one cliche after another.

Nope. I'm saying movies that ARE all dark and girm and gritty are down right boring. I want a little light and fun mixed in with the seriousness. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if we've reached the point where people are in the pro disney camp need a term to describe them, and people who are in the old school lucasfilm camp need a term to describe us? ;o)

Like Mark hamil fans are hamsters ;o)

It works if thats the nature of the character. But you cant just apply the "grimdark" filter on everything. I hope episode 8 has some dark elements, hell we are dealing with the force here, but of course I dont want the whole thing to be depressing. Thats what I love about Star Wars OT and TFA, they have so much going for them, and they touch so many different emotions, and are universally light hearted in the tone of their movies. I want that to continue into the new episodes. Even though in ESB bad stuff is happening, it didnt feel dour because you still had hope everything was going to work out. Damn. I love those movies. I hate how George Lucas gets all the damn credit.

I'm sure many are also wondering the same thing as me right now with the unfortunate news of Carrie Fisher and Episode 8. So sad... :(

Hopefully in IX she's just been or gone somewhere else and focus simply shifts. I'd really like to not relive this in one of the movies.

It will certainly be interesting how they deal with this in the movies. Especially with 8 coming out just a year after her passing. I can't imagine they'd write her out in 8, now? Wow.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back