Special Effects schools - worth it?

Good point, Mistymills!

-Oldskooleffects- that works out. I will be moving near Salem, MA this coming season. So I'm sure there will be gigs and haunts all over to flex my skillsets at.

dont bother with expensive courses., take that money buy how-to dvd and material and practice at home practice practice practice. never heard annyone that came out of one of those expensive schools that actually got hired in an fx shop more then people that paid nothing and just learned by themselves. . a very talented artist will get hired eventually as aprentice or helper without those expensive courses only if the portfolio is awesome. build a portfolio and practice. right now the problem in the industry is only the best of the best actually work and even then theres lots of down time. PS theres much more job opurtunities in straight and beauty makeup then actual makeup fx.

When I visited the Cinema Makeup School in LA, I had a conversation about this very thing with Mike Spatola... He echoed the same thing Paulblopez said, they teach FX makeup techniques; creatures, gore fx as well as beauty makeups and straight forward makeups, ie; old age makeups... He said as a working industry professional for many years, what he strives to teach that most students don't want to learn is makeups that don't look like makeups. That is to say, convincing old age makeups both with strait makeup as well as prosthetic; character type makeups such as Jenette Goldstein's makeup as Vasquez in Aliens... Mike mentioned that she's heavily freckled and pale in actuality. but you'd never know it to see her in that role.

He said those types of skills are WAY MORE called for in the film industry than creature/gore type fx's. It's best to be well versed in all of them if you're serious about working in that industry.

-B89! :)

As a person who graduated from the Savini program myself, I am extremely offended by the concept of "teaching yourself!"

I'm kidding, of course. I did, in fact, graduate from the Savini program. Personally, I can say it was a great experience and as long as you are a diligent worker, you are offered chances to work on movies while still attending. Overall, however, it is not worth the debt of a student loan. You can most certainly teach yourself everything that I was taught. As a matter of fact, I believe Mike Spatola has a book that basically covers the curriculum in order and is about $30. I am grateful for everything I learned and the connections I made in the industry, but at quite a hefty price tag, it is simply not worth it. And if you already have experience in makeup, the first two semesters are a recap.

Yeah, I'm a Pittsburgher and looked into going to the Savini school, but given the fact I already have insane college debt (Embry-Riddle) and much of the coursework seems to by stuff I already taught myself, I decided against it.

The bonus to teaching yourself is that you find out what works best for you, and it encourages you to experiment.

It's who you know. Don't waste your money with these schools. Learn on your own. It helps you harness fantastic trouble shooting skills later.

as with any avenue in the arts, i doubt very many get hired because of the school they went to or for that matter if they went to school. the work sells you.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back