New BMF coming

Well, IF this toy/model is 28 inches long, and IF the "real" MF is supposed to 114 feet long, then this model clocks in very close to 1:48. Which is slick as 1:48 figures are not hard to come by.

--Alex

That's a cool idea. have the background as the star destroyer (like the MF attached to it) or the asteroid field (like it's flying)? maybe like the landing platform at cloud city?

Actually, I was thinking; add some greebles, paint/weather, and hang on solid black background with frame.

And then, you sir, have blown my mind (with the limitless possibilities). A buddy got me a Fathead wall hanging of Death Star II for my birthday couple years back that is like 5x5 feet and I'm actually considering painting an entire wall black with stars, apply huge DS II, go wild from there.

Again, mind officially reeling. Well done, my man. Now, do you wanna volunteer some man hours to my massive wall diorama or try to get approval from my girlfriend? (I kid, I kid. Not about the wall project, though).

I need to either buy one of these myself or get detailed measurements of certain areas, and then yes, we can have 3D parts made for this if you guys want.

Hey Robiwon, sorry in advance for my lack of knowledge, I'm a newbie at customizing.

Are you talking about making a kit available that would provide necessary parts for upgrading? I own the BMF and plan on purchasing this, just not sure about making it 2 projects or combining parts for 1 Falcon. I haven't done any customization to BMF yet.

Again, sorry to bug you with newbie ignorance.

That's fine Jimmer.

What FZ6 is planning on doing is designing several parts that will fit the new Hasbro Falcon toy. We are planning several parts for the toy. You will be able to purchase these parts individually, and more than likely in small groups of parts (to save money), from Shapeways, a company that does 3D printing. Stand by for a list of upgrades being planned for the toy.

Look forward to it, and thanks for the info Robiwon.

I've been practicing my painting skils on small ships and researching getting an airbrush, wanted to be confident before painting/weathering BMF. Now I'm really glad I held off, I've painted enough to know that it's what I prefer to do last (just wish I hadn't attached those mandibles yet...lol).

I don't have access to a 3D printer so, like I said, would really be interested in what you guys come up with.

Thanks again for info and patience.

I hope you don't expect anyone to be able to actually read the yellow type on the whiteish Falcon.... not enough contrast...

--Alex

Alright. I just want to be clear so there's no confusion and want to make sure you know what I'm referring to with my measurements. I know you probably don't have this Falcon in front of you to see what I'm talking about. My measurements only included the area with no detail. Your diagram shows that you want the measurement with detailed area on the front. This detailed area is actually 3D and not printed. See Photos
20141013_165637.jpg20141013_1655572.jpg
Also, want to clarify if you want measurement of the overall diameter from center of the turret window or from edge of window?

Well, IF this toy/model is 28 inches long, and IF the "real" MF is supposed to 114 feet long, then this model clocks in very close to 1:48. Which is slick as 1:48 figures are not hard to come by.

--Alex

Thanks I was thinking close to 1/48. My brain was fried when I made my post, and I just did not have it in me to break out my Chronicles book and the scale calcuater.

Last edited:
Kokkari, ah, didn't notice there is more 3D detail on the sides. Permission to use a few of your pics in PM with you and my printer?

This thing is gonna bring out some of the the most interesting falcon builds ever. So often, the overall shape is the hurdle to get past. But here, it seems like the material is what is gonna be tough. Or the fact that if you want to mirror a studio model there's a ton of kibble/panel work to be done

Hi, All I just got this and opened it. All I can say is wow what a huge toy/model. The detail is pretty sharp and the proportions seem really good this will make quite a display piece
With just a little work. and if someone is making up pieces to fit on this bird then we are all going to have Big detailed models.

Chris

I received mine this afternoon. All I can say is "WOW"! It certainly looks close to 1/48 scale to me.
The molding and details (that are present) are actually quite nice for a "toy". Certainly better than the details on the original MPC model kit by far. I can certainly echo others' statements that this is a great basis for a fantastic model.

Like the X-Wing, this plastic appears to be polypropylene. If it is, it will require special bonding agents to get things to stick to it. Polypropylene resists most solvents and cements. That's why most objects that are composed of this material are snapped or screwed together rather than glued. There are products that I have used before for bonding polypropylene to itself and to other materials.

Loctite makes bonding agents that work with polypropylene - one is known as "Plastix", the other, "Loctite Plastics Bonding System". Both systems use two components - a surface prep and a bonding agent. When using these, it allows polypropylene to be bonded to itself or other materials. I've used both of these before with great success.

As far as painting goes, there are at least two options: There is a product made by AMI called PolyPro Primer that is specifically made for adhering paint to polypropylene. I have not yet tried this, but some of you may have. The other option is to use an adhesion promoter (which comes in spray cans and is commonly found in auto paint stores) on the surface prior to priming with an automotive primer like Duplicolor Primer. Doing this will give the paint enough "bite" so as not to pull up when removing masks. As with any plastic surface, it should be thoroughly cleaned first of mold release and skin oils prior to applying anything to the surface. I would recommend testing gluing and painting on a portion of the interior surface first before starting on the outside.

E

With it being a Walmart exclusive, if they don't ship overseas, you may have to wait until they start showing up on ebay. I'm going out this weekend in hunt for one.

They'll be $120> when they hit over here which is way too expensive as far as I am concerned. I'd like to get one at the same price as you guys.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back